Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
So I hit a deer this weekend. Luckily it was a small one, so the damage to the car is minimal, but I do have a few broken parts. One of the broken parts is a bracket holding an electtonic module just behind the bumper on the driver’s side of the car. Could someone please identify what this module does? I snapped a picture of it from a YouTube video I found. I’ve also attached a photo showing the label on the module.

255D8149-19F1-43E1-8CCE-880878D1ECE7.jpeg

7AE9A0FC-6B25-4FEF-82FA-978962E47166.jpeg

243F5A98-5EEF-4CB0-9B60-023940213D90.jpeg

Deer impact video. Please don’t watch it if you’re squeamish.

So if that’s the radar, is it still used by the current AP/FSD algorithms? Obviously, it is directional and needs to be properly mounted in order to work correctly if it is still used.

so what is the gizmo in the passenger side?

So if that’s the radar, is it still used by the current AP/FSD algorithms?...

That depends on hardware and firmware.

If your car is radar-equipped and you have not opt-in for FSD beta, then the AP/FSD is still using the radar algorithm.

If your car is radar-equipped and you are running FSD beta, then the AP/FSD is turning off radar as if it does not have a physical radar at all.

so what is the gizmo in the passenger side?

In this thread, the pictures show that the radar is on the driver's side.

I will not be surprised a radar can be placed on the opposite side too. We just need to read the label to see what they are.