Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what is 'top off charge' display mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
charged the roadster for the first time, and it finished. Looked at the display later and it had a choice displayed to 'top off' the battery charge... what is this and should I select it? The screen displayed 181mile range when the battery completed it's charge. thanks for any input.

No, that's not it. To get 100% you have to set Range Mode.

When you do charge to 100%, you should leave the car sitting there for an hour plugged in. When you do that the Roadster will do some pack balancing. After that process is over you will have lost a little bit of range.

At that point you hit the Top Off button again to squeeze in the last bit of juice for 100%.

Personally I've never found it did very much though. My car will charge for a few minutes and then stop again.

No, that's not it. To get 100% you have to set Range Mode.

When you do charge to 100%, you should leave the car sitting there for an hour plugged in. When you do that the Roadster will do some pack balancing. After that process is over you will have lost a little bit of range.

At that point you hit the Top Off button again to squeeze in the last bit of juice for 100%.

Personally I've never found it did very much though. My car will charge for a few minutes and then stop again.

Ah thanks for the correction, I misunderstood what that button does then.

charged the roadster for the first time, and it finished. Looked at the display later and it had a choice displayed to 'top off' the battery charge... what is this and should I select it? The screen displayed 181mile range when the battery completed it's charge. thanks for any input.

Usually after you charge up (either in standard/range mode) the pack will rebalance and you'll lose some range. You can then top off to get another couple of miles or so right before
starting your trip.