TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is Top Speed on Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by texex91, Aug 22, 2013.

1. texex91

texex91 Banned

Someone told me the max speed you can go on Model S is 85 MPH --is that true??

Anyone know what top speed is on various models? Is there a limiter?

2. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

125 - 130 depending on the model. If you're going down hill, perhaps even faster. The LEAF is limited to 85 mph I believe.

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

Thank goodness!! Had me scared--not that I ever go over speed limit (LOL), but just checking that if I 'went to track' I could try it out over 100 :)

4. caddieo

caddieo Member

He may have been referring to loaner cars which are indeed limited.

5. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

i video on youtube shows one going 133 MPH

6. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

No big deal, but Nissan says the LEAF top speed is 92 MPH, and early on a guy got 97 on a dyno. Me? I've only done 85 in the LEAF, and just a shade over 100 in the Tesla.

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Yep I was just about to say the same. So 133mph is the highest I know of too.

8. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

So, will the Germans accept a 215 kph car? I'm sure some will, but many?

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

This is a pretty lousy question to ask; may I recommend teslamotors.com ?!

10. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

11. GlennAlanBerry

You do know that the Tesla web site has a wealth of good information about the Model S, that would probably answer many of your questions, especially basic statistics like the top speed.

The test drive and loaner Model S cars are limited to 85 mph.

12. dmetcalf

dmetcalf S258

Unlike other marketing that overstates claims, Tesla's numbers might be engineering specs and others find real world numbers that are better/faster. On 0-60, I have seen some car magazine numbers up to 10 pct better than those listed above.

Similarly, I have seen a Model S go over 130 and continue to climb about 1 MPH every 2-3 seconds up to 137. So the top end IS limited, but it is not a total cutoff, but more like a logarithmic decrease in acceleration and eventual cap. I would love to know if anyone else on a track has seen higher speeds and to what level. Thanks.

13. juventuss

juventuss Member

I am wondering if the German owners can request Tesla Delimit their cars.

14. deonb

deonb Active Member

I think it will need a 2 speed gearbox to really go much over 140. It may be worth it as a German option.

15. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

#15 Johann Koeber, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    Re: delimiting

I am sure some would like that.

Personally I have found 160 km per hour to be the realistic sustainable Top Speed on the Autobahn. For many years I was wanting a fast car. So I got a Lexus Hybrid (GS 450h). It is limited to 250 km/h. I have been able to use this speed maybe 5 times in 7 years, and only for a few km at a time - not worth it.

The suggested speed on the Autobahn is 130 km/h. If you participate in an accident while faster, you will be charged with a partial blame, even if you were not at fault.

So yes, I am fine with 200 km/h Top Speed and enjoy the quick acceleration getting there. I don't need the car going any faster than that.

One man's opinion.

16. richkae

richkae VIN587

No. I am pretty sure that the top speed limit is because of the maximum speed the motor can spin.
    Perhaps all cars could spin the motor at 130mph, but there may also be interesting electromagnetic effects at max power and speed that Tesla is avoiding with the speed limits.

17. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Here's how it works:

Top speed is limited. Why? Because of the single speed gearbox, the motor must turn faster and faster. It cannot be switched to a next gear, and then reduce the RPM of the motor.

If I am remembering correctly (Need to get to work, so not looking it up), the Model S motor spins at approx 10,000-12,000 RPM (Might have been 16,000rpm) at 120-130mph. In case you were unaware, that is FAST, well, not fast, but INSANELY fast for a motor of that size to spin at. I will take my hat off to the Engineering team.

The problem then becomes, the outward force of the motor spinning. The motor will literally spin itself apart. I have seen this on the old POS ZAP Cars where owners thought, hey, all I need to do is add a few more batteries and different controller and I can go a lot faster..... Yah... Not quite that simple.

So, to go faster, a gearbox of some sort would be needed to reduce the motors rpm to a safe maximum.

Now...One way around that, and continuing to use a single speed gear box, is to use a more powerful motor and a different fixed gear ratio.

So take the 85P's motor for example, it is a more powerful motor, so instead of having it geared for insane acceleration, gear it for normal acceleration with a higher top speed. It may then accelerate like a standard MS60 or MS85 would, but might have as much as 10-40 mph higher top speed, as the additional torque that would have went into acceleration, is now being used to sustain a top speed at a higher gear ration.

I hope that made sense. No time to re-read and make minor corrections. Work time, bye bye.

18. EricWayneAlbert

I wonder what the REAL Top Speed would be if it was not limited by Tesla in the software. I wonder how much higher than the 133 I saw in that youtube video. I believe it can go quite a bit faster. This is just MHO. Maybe someone has a connection with Elon or maybe one of the engineer's who can get us a real answer.

19. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Loaners and Test Drive vehicles are limited to 85 mph for liability reasons.

20. texex91

texex91 Banned

Why is it a lousy question? I wanted to know if there is a limiter. Geshhhh.