Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is unlimited lifetime supercharging worth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So new Tesla deliveries after April 2017 will no longer have unlimited supercharging. They will have 1000 miles of SC then a few based system. I am informed that the deadline for new orders for April delivery is end of this week. Living in Adelaide I have never had the advantage of supercharging. I charge at home or at a destination charger. I assume that Tesla owners in other cities with superchargers wouldn't necessarily drive across town just to charge. What do people estimate is the value of unlimited supercharging?

I live less than 10km's from Richmond SC in Melbourne however still charge at home, I don't travel out of Melbourne apart to my coast home where I also charge at "home"....SC doesn't really mean much to me....maybe I am the odd one out however I wouldn't be surprised to find my case fit the majority rather than minority.

-ECIT

Depends on where the superchargers are and how often you drive long distances. I can't be bothered to drive 20 minutes out of my way and wait somewhere to save what is really very little. My total power consumption for a year was less than $400 charging at home off peak. If the superchargers price is, say 40c /kWh then a full charge is worth about $33 in an 85. How often will you be filling up?

It really depends on your habits and circumstances. For a driver that matches Tesla's original model, does the 12,000 miles per year that the average U.S. driver drives and 10% on Superchargers/road trips, the added value is pretty much nothing.

For someone like Tesloop, who put ~130,000 per year on a car driving from L.A. to Las Vegas every day entirely on Superchargers, the value is great (130k * 360 Wh/mile = 46,800 kWh. At U.S. national average prices, that's over $5,000 per year - and folks in California often pay twice the national average for electricity.)

That's why Tesla had to take unlimited off the table, and why it won't be back as an option. I'm hoping they'll offer a one time "road trips" package, possibly included with the biggest battery, that offers something like 8,000 miles per year supercharged included - just for the psychology of never paying for it and not worrying, but they can't afford to have businesses building their business model off of Tesla buying all their electricity for them.

It really depends where you live and how often you do long trips.
There are countries with no SC yet, so it's value is 0 for now. I for example only traveled 300km in the same day once last year. I usually never do more than 60km a day so I don't really need Super Fast Charging.
But there are people in America specially that do 300km or more daily, for them it has a much higher value.

I live less than 10km's from Richmond SC in Melbourne however still charge at home, I don't travel out of Melbourne apart to my coast home where I also charge at "home"....SC doesn't really mean much to me....maybe I am the odd one out however I wouldn't be surprised to find my case fit the majority rather than minority.

-ECIT
I am also a majority case. I live less than 5K from Richmond but still find my home charger is 80-90%. of my charging. I guess I look forward to trips to Sydney and even Brisbane in the next few years but suspect the dollar value is minimal. The new rule would be fine for me.

Now that the AGL $1 a day deal is a reality, the value of Supercharging for me is zero around the city and only of use on long trips. But I guess on a long road trip to be able to carry on after a 40 minute pit stop rather than getting a hotel and charging over night is priceless in convenience value.

Reactions: Bennny
This is how I figure:

My classic P85 can probably be charged 1,000 times (just an assumption) before needing a new battery. Each full charge would be about 75 kWh (the usable part of the battery).

As I am doing a lot of lang distance trips on the German Autobahn, I charge an estimated 2/3 at the SCs, 1/4 at home (using the sun) and the rest at miscellaneous chargers (most of them free).

So I estimate my SC use is 75 kWh x 1,000 x 2/3 = 50,000 kWh. At that time the car will have gone 350,000 km. In about two years from now this will be the case.

Electricity costs between 0.25 and 0.30 Euro per kWh. Using the low estimate the cash value of 'free' SC would be 12,500 Euro - in about 5 years, or 2,500 Euro per year.

Now it all depends on how long the car is kept. After better than 2.5 years and 192,000 km I see no reason why it should not hold up another 10+ years.

YMMV

This is how I figure:

My classic P85 can probably be charged 1,000 times (just an assumption) before needing a new battery. Each full charge would be about 75 kWh (the usable part of the battery).

As I am doing a lot of lang distance trips on the German Autobahn, I charge an estimated 2/3 at the SCs, 1/4 at home (using the sun) and the rest at miscellaneous chargers (most of them free).

So I estimate my SC use is 75 kWh x 1,000 x 2/3 = 50,000 kWh. At that time the car will have gone 350,000 km. In about two years from now this will be the case.

Electricity costs between 0.25 and 0.30 Euro per kWh. Using the low estimate the cash value of 'free' SC would be 12,500 Euro - in about 5 years, or 2,500 Euro per year.

Now it all depends on how long the car is kept. After better than 2.5 years and 192,000 km I see no reason why it should not hold up another 10+ years.

YMMV

Hi Johann, I have the same request as Mark, keen to know more about your P85 battery ( and anything else about a car that's covered 192k in less than 3 years)

I am retired and live just under 5km from St Leonards. I barely charge at home and supercharge at least once weekly. I plan to keep my car for many years.so, for me, well worth the time. I have coffee, check my internet and before I know it the 50 min charging time is done.

As I live in Adelaide, I only use the supercharger network on annual road trips but the imminent charging for new cars has me thinking I might upgrade my P85DL for a P100D now. It makes no financial sense at all so I'm hoping the urge quickly passes. :rolleyes:

As I live in Adelaide, I only use the supercharger network on annual road trips but the imminent charging for new cars has me thinking I might upgrade my P85DL for a P100D now. It makes no financial sense at all so I'm hoping the urge quickly passes. :rolleyes:

I think this was the last week to get your order in for free charging (could be next week). Anyway when they release the P120D with HUD and Plaid mode you won't want the P100D anymore, especially when you would have lost more in depreciation of the upgrade than a lifetime of free charging.

For someone like Tesloop, who put ~130,000 per year on a car driving from L.A. to Las Vegas every day entirely on Superchargers, the value is great (130k * 360 Wh/mile = 46,800 kWh. At U.S. national average prices, that's over $5,000 per year - and folks in California often pay twice the national average for electricity.)

How did you obtain the driving details of tesloop? I see them driving an S and X around LA and the desert too.