Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your 100% on your 90kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several iterations of the 90 pack. Mine is a first generation ("V1", worst) in an early 2016 90S with almost 50k miles; in the 6 months I've had it I've observed no change in the pack's stated range.

Very few people have time or interest in charging to 100%; my car throttles at around 93% and really trickles the power in past 98%; I haven't charged to 100% in months.

My car at 90% says I have between 249 and 251 miles, so I estimate that I have 277 miles of range at 100%; I have charged to 95ish percent and the estimate of 277 still holds. Maybe 278.

Now, in the winter, the car is a juice pig and gets 60% of the rated range (or 20% of the rated range for the first 10 minutes while I'm blasting the heat). So real range? Dunno, so far good enough for me to not actually care much. I've noticed that in the last 5 minutes of a drive, with the car up to temperature, the power utilization returns to the "rated" state. I've had to charge 3-4ish hours per day to keep the car at equilibrium (30 mile city round trip commute in boston; charging on a 208/30a charger). In mild weather it's more like 1-2 hours per day on average (IE I charge 2-3 times per week for 4 hours not every day)

Of more concern to me is that I suspect that my charge rate has been mildly nerfed at superchargers. That will have a much larger impact on my ability to use the car for road trips than a couple miles off the top.

In highway trips in mild weather, I'm able to do quite a bit better than the rated range.

There are several other "what's your 90%" threads.

Apparently the EPA published range on my 2015 Model S P90DL is 253 miles. Either I've suffered no degradation at all or the car's computer is messing up the math. My last full charge (Tuesday) was 256. It does vary somewhat. It has been over 260, and a couple times at 270, which resulted in me staring at the number wondering...what the heck? Has that happened to anyone else?

Apparently the EPA published range on my 2015 Model S P90DL is 253 miles. Either I've suffered no degradation at all or the car's computer is messing up the math. My last full charge (Tuesday) was 256. It does vary somewhat. It has been over 260, and a couple times at 270, which resulted in me staring at the number wondering...what the heck? Has that happened to anyone else?
253 is the EPA rated range for the P85D. The P90D actually was EPA rated at 270 miles so your car is not too far off. Keep in mind that these estimates and the algorithm that the MCU uses to display the estimated range has margin for error. Many expect those numbers to be spot on exact and every single mile of deviation is cause for concern. The reality is there's plenty of fudge room in how the display estimates your range and that's even if it were in a vacuum with no temperature, wind, weight, or other variables factored in. Long story short here: "estimated" is the key word in all of this. Don't put too much weight in that figure to the tenth of a mile in any direction and you'll live a longer and happier life.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
253 is the EPA rated range for the P85D. The P90D actually was EPA rated at 270 miles so your car is not too far off. Keep in mind that these estimates and the algorithm that the MCU uses to display the estimated range has margin for error. Many expect those numbers to be spot on exact and every single mile of deviation is cause for concern. The reality is there's plenty of fudge room in how the display estimates your range and that's even if it were in a vacuum with no temperature, wind, weight, or other variables factored in. Long story short here: "estimated" is the key word in all of this. Don't put too much weight in that figure to the tenth of a mile in any direction and you'll live a longer and happier life.
I read, I think, in Motor Trend that Tesla upped the P90DL estimated range to 268, but the EPA disagreed and set it to 253, same as the P85DL. *Shrug* Whatever that means.

Mine has diminished considerably more than what it seems others have.

upload_2019-12-20_15-59-10.png

upload_2019-12-20_15-59-28.png

It has recently tanked, as you can see by the graph.

Many owners, including myself, have noticed that actual range and battery capacity have diminished significantly even though the cars display of full charge range has hardly diminished at all. The cars display of full charge range conceals rather than reveals battery degradation. Of course some cars are still good in this respect. But some are not. So in general, the cars full charge display of range cannot be considered reliable.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
EU Typical range (which is a bit less than US-rated) shows 410km at 100% after 3 years/90.000km(~55k miles) Down from 457 when new.

If you want more technical data from the BMS, it is 73kWh usable + 4kWh buffer left in a 90 pack. Down from 81,4kWh + 4kWh buffer when new.

EU Typical range (which is a bit less than US-rated) shows 410km at 100% after 3 years/90.000km(~55k miles) Down from 457 when new.

If you want more technical data from the BMS, it is 73kWh usable + 4kWh buffer left in a 90 pack. Down from 81,4kWh + 4kWh buffer when new.

That doesn't sound right. Is this for a 90D or P90D? 457 km new equates to 283 miles, and mine was 298 miles new ~479km. I have 70,000 miles (112,650km) and get about 266 miles @ 100% (428km). As a data point.

That doesn't sound right. Is this for a 90D or P90D? 457 km new equates to 283 miles, and mine was 298 miles new ~479km. I have 70,000 miles (112,650km) and get about 266 miles @ 100% (428km). As a data point.

My S90D 2016 (10/2016) was 296 when new and last charge went to 262 so around 11% loss. Tesla says this is normal. I just hope it slows down on the degradation.

The loss may be much greater than the 11% implied from the full charge range display. My 2016 90D shows a full charge range only 5% less than new. But my usable battery capacity is about 15% less than new.

See, I'm not understanding your posts. Are you saying that the full charge range indicated is depleting much faster than it says? ie. 275 miles is depleting to zero in 150? That's a different issue. The max range should be reflective of battery degradation whereas the depletion of the full charge is reflective of driving habits.

My S90D 2016 (10/2016) was 296 when new and last charge went to 262 so around 11% loss. Tesla says this is normal. I just hope it slows down on the degradation.

How many miles do you have? My car is about 6 months younger than yours. They say the degradation is supposed to be the biggest in the first year and then level off from there.. but mine is definitely not leveling off.