Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your battery capacity 1 yr out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging to 100% doesn't balance it, it recalibrates the battery gauge. I have monitored my cell balance over 2 years now and it never goes out of balance much at all. Never to the point where you would lose any range, even after partially charging for several weeks.

This is an email from Tesla explaining the inherent issue with estimating range of a lithium battery. It also explains how doing a full cycle fixes the software based errors. It is not balancing.

That's interesting. If you charge to a maximum of 90% for several months, couldn't the battery get even more out of balance? Other members have reported this to be the case, and also that the car will balance the battery if you set the charge level to 93% or higher. See: need to charge every night?

I know Jason found out that balancing is triggered by charging to 93% or higher, but it doesn't mean nothing has changed since then or that there might be other conditions that trigger balancing. No one knows for sure. We can speculate. What I can tell from experience looking at the cell voltages that no matter what, my pack never got out of balance more than 0.2% at the most. I had many weeks of never charging 80% and the pack did not go out of balance. I had many road trips with lots of Supercharging and extreme conditions. I had the car sitting for 2 weeks not charging. 116k miles and 3 years and never once was the battery pack out of balance. Tesla just has an excellent system that keeps the pack in balance no matter what the conditions are. There is no evidence that the pack gets so far out of balance that range is lost. There is plenty of evidence that the pack stays n balance very well and there is a great explanation from Tesla why range estimation drops when the battery is charged partially. I just wish the 'you need to charge to 100% to balance your pack' myth will die soon. :)

Other manufacturers are most likely not to have such a sophisticated BMS and balancing and temperature overall can cause issues.

• Informative
Reactions: FarmerDave