Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your budget for the Model lll?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I want beyond the base model is dual drive (for AWD, of course) and Supercharger access, if it is extra (as I expect). I expect the range of the base to be plenty for Supercharger use.

"Wants" would be the larger battery option; depends on price. And Cold Weather Package, but all I really want from it is the heated steering wheel. Pay $1000 for the heated steering wheel? No, just can't justify that.

I don't need all the rest of the crap like leather, pano roof, fancy wheels, performance, autopilot and the other tech stuff. And so forth. Just want the base with AWD and Supercharging. But may have to get some of the other stuff if it is in packages.

And that's why my CPO Model S is pretty close to a "stripper" (sole option was the mid 2014 tech package of the time, which is of no interest to me). I don't want to pay for extras since I am not wealthy like most TMCers. I need AWD and Supercharging and that is it. Bigger battery would be a bonus.

I'm in the same situation, townhouse with a single car garage that wouldn't fit a Model S. I'm willing to budget up to $70K given our province just upped the EV rebates to $14K yesterday! Talk about perfect timing!!

Reputation points sir! I just hope the government defines "large capacity battery" for the purposes of the extra $3,000

1 - You're comparing a base 70D to a well equipped, if not loaded, Model 3. Not apples-to-apples.
2 - The S is too damn big for a lot of people.

Yes, I'm 5'8" and the Model S is a boat to me. As long as it's roughly the size of a mid-size sedan I'm good to go. Budget for me realistically is about $40K to $50K net of rebates, and I certainly hope the car will not include an import duty (fingers crossed for gigafactory!)

Must have: Large capacity battery, Supercharge, AP, decent trunk space
Wants: Leather, Cold weather package, Ludicrous, Sig Red paint (for a cost...please please please)

Last edited:
All I want beyond the base model is dual drive (for AWD, of course) and Supercharger access, if it is extra (as I expect). I expect the range of the base to be plenty for Supercharger use.

"Wants" would be the larger battery option; depends on price. And Cold Weather Package, but all I really want from it is the heated steering wheel. Pay $1000 for the heated steering wheel? No, just can't justify that.

I don't need all the rest of the crap like leather, pano roof, fancy wheels, performance, autopilot and the other tech stuff. And so forth. Just want the base with AWD and Supercharging. But may have to get some of the other stuff if it is in packages.

And that's why my CPO Model S is pretty close to a "stripper" (sole option was the mid 2014 tech package of the time, which is of no interest to me). I don't want to pay for extras since I am not wealthy like most TMCers. I need AWD and Supercharging and that is it. Bigger battery would be a bonus.
Autopilot will probably be included in the hardware. I agree with the supercharger option, but coupling that with the biggest battery gives you the best of both worlds.

I have a Model S now. The Model lll will be our second Tesla. 
OK good answer. I would really like to get a 2nd Tesla as well for the lady of the house, right now leaning toward a 70D, but am curious how the 3 compares.
I am also sure that the 3 will be delayed many times before it's really in the stores. Just look at how many times they delayed the X.

I'm probably different from most in the thread :) Not looking for maximum range at all, as long as the "base" car does ~300km I'll be perfectly fine. My daily driving is rarely more than 150-200km, and for long range driving I'm betting on the Supercharger network. I'm also happy with RWD... less so with FWD if that's the base option, but probably still not going to pay the extra for AWD. Budget is €45-50k.

Priorities:
- Autopilot and other driver assistance options
- Supercharger compatibility
- Nice wheels, nothing too huge or fancy though

Nice-to-have:
- Air suspension
- Pano roof or similar
- AWD, if the base option is FWD and the extra price isn't too much
- Heated seats

Don't want:
- Leather interior. I currently drive a C-Class with textile interior (yes, a rarity for a Benz), and I'm perfectly happy with it... don't see a four-digit extra value in leather.
- Cold weather package. Wrong country :) Some features are nice (heated steering wheel...) but at the bottom line it's not worth the cost in Germany.
- Performance upgrades. While it'd be neat, it's bound to be expensive as well as drive the insurance costs up a lot. As long as the base motor does 0-100 km/h in <7s and >200 km/h top speed for Autobahn dashes, I'm good.

Autopilot will probably be included in the hardware. I agree with the supercharger option, but coupling that with the biggest battery gives you the best of both worlds.
Oh I agree that all the cars will have the Autopilot hardware. But it will be extra cost to activate it, I would guess. No way will the base model NOT be Supercharger capable, just won't happen. But it may well be extra cost, either a one-time fee or some sort of pay-per-use plan. Supercharging will likely be standard on the bigger battery model, unless the entire Model 3 fleet goes to pay-per-use. I don't actually expect that to happen for a couple of years though.

Just guessing. Like everyone else!

(Although.....I'd only have to manually get the S in there ONCE....after that, I could just use Summon to "put it away" at night.)
It seems you misunderstand the summon feature. The underlined is incorrect. FYI.

I've parked 'Mercury' in the garage twice manually (before Summon was in the firmware) and zero times since. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I expect that my Tesla Model ≡ P120D Coupe with Falcon Wing Doors will run me around $65,000 and that the matching Cabriolet will be around $75,000.
LOL. Where to start...

Don't want:
- Leather interior. I currently drive a C-Class with textile interior (yes, a rarity for a Benz), and I'm perfectly happy with it... don't see a four-digit extra value in leather.
- Cold weather package. Wrong country :) Some features are nice (heated steering wheel...) but at the bottom line it's not worth the cost in Germany.
- Performance upgrades. While it'd be neat, it's bound to be expensive as well as drive the insurance costs up a lot. As long as the base motor does 0-100 km/h in <7s and >200 km/h top speed for Autobahn dashes, I'm good.

I agree on the leather' does nothing thing for me, however, just because I'm happy for textile, doesn't mean I do not want a decent seat like the next generation seat. And I still want Tesla to offer alcantara on seats!!!

$45k for me, but I probably won't hit that. The only option I am surely getting is the supercharger option. Maybe larger pack size or autopilot depending on cost. I don't care for leather, AWD, air suspension, performance options, etc.