Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your budget for the Model lll?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL. Where to start...
What? It could happen... A man's gotta DREAM!
2008 Buick-Riviera_Concept d (1920 x 1080).jpg

2008 Buick Riviera Concept

2013 Buick-Riviera_Concept f (1600 x 1200).jpg

2013 Buick Riviera Concept

From all that I've heard/read, I do not anticipate the same level of pricing differential on the M3 as we see on the Model S/X. Tesla keeps saying the M3 will be a simpler car, and the pricing is putting it squarely against the Leaf and Bolt (which are clearly NOT high end luxury cars). Look at the tech in the new Bolt and I think that we'll see that level of car with the addition of Tesla style + autopilot + supercharger, so I just can't see this car getting to $55-60k. I do not think that "highly optioned" will mean quite the same thing as what that means on the Model S.

From all that I've heard/read, I do not anticipate the same level of pricing differential on the M3 as we see on the Model S/X. Tesla keeps saying the M3 will be a simpler car, and the pricing is putting it squarely against the Leaf and Bolt (which are clearly NOT high end luxury cars). Look at the tech in the new Bolt and I think that we'll see that level of car with the addition of Tesla style + autopilot + supercharger, so I just can't see this car getting to $55-60k. I do not think that "highly optioned" will mean quite the same thing as what that means on the Model S.

Whereas I totally disagree. They are not looking to compete with the Leaf and Bolt. They are looking to compete with the BMW 3 series and Audi A4. This is straight from the earnings call: "You should think of the Model 3 as sort of really competing in kind of the BMW 3 Series or Audi A4 market." (love the Elon grammar)

Whereas I totally disagree. They are not looking to compete with the Leaf and Bolt. They are looking to compete with the BMW 3 series and Audi A4. This is straight from the earnings call: "You should think of the Model 3 as sort of really competing in kind of the BMW 3 Series or Audi A4 market." (love the Elon grammar)

I wonder how much of the "this is going to be like a Leaf/Volt" contingent is born of some "snobbery" from S and X owners....?? Much in the same way Audi and MB drivers look down their noses at A3 and CLA drivers, respectively.....already trying to downplay the Model 3....

I wonder how much of the "this is going to be like a Leaf/Volt" contingent is born of some "snobbery" from S and X owners....?? Much in the same way Audi and MB drivers look down their noses at A3 and CLA drivers, respectively.....already trying to downplay the Model 3....

I think it comes more from the other end, of people who want Tesla to build a basic "EV for everybody". It's the existing Tesla owners who expect the sports oriented super performance version.

I think it comes more from the other end, of people who want Tesla to build a basic "EV for everybody". It's the existing Tesla owners who expect the sports oriented super performance version.

I hope Tesla doesn't bring their quality down to early-days Kia or Hyundai levels, just to hit volume numbers. That would be doing a disservice to everyone who owns a Tesla. It's not hard to make it more affordable than a Model S is....but "affordable" doesn't have to mean "terrible".

There are other threads where I've been chided and told not to expect such bells and whistles on a Model 3, because it's not "that luxurious" of a car.....why not? Isn't the "worst" Mercedes better than anything Ford offers?

Tesla's "floor"/entry level doesn't necessarily have to start at Nissan Leaf levels. To a certain extent, the Tesla brand is building cachet. And it would be ill-advised to lose sight of that while on the verge of going "mainstream".

$50K.

Autopilot, leather (or alcantara if it's offered) and winter package.
And depending if I can afford it premium sound system or smart air suspension.

Slightly off topic: When did alcantara become such a thing in cars? Our S4 has it and it was kind of a big deal they were pushing really hard as an awesome feature. I think my Volt has a knock off version of it (or my Volt might have actual suede leather vs the synthetic that alcantara is). I actually prefer smooth leather to the suede - easier to clean. It also looks neater. No butt prints.

i guess I prefer "zombie cows" over synthetics as someone else posted brilliantly earlier. So I probably won't pay extra for the alcantara.

Slightly off topic: When did alcantara become such a thing in cars? Our S4 has it and it was kind of a big deal they were pushing really hard as an awesome feature. I think my Volt has a knock off version of it (or my Volt might have actual suede leather vs the synthetic that alcantara is). I actually prefer smooth leather to the suede - easier to clean. It also looks neater. No butt prints.

i guess I prefer "zombie cows" over synthetics as someone else posted brilliantly earlier. So I probably won't pay extra for the alcantara.
My 2000 S4 had it. I think the argument is it gives more friction and helps keep you from sliding around in your seat while cornering.

I'm hoping to NOT go over $50K.

For me, the top priorities are the biggest battery, Supercharging (which I believe will be buried in the cost) and AWD. Anything that is "turn it on with a credit card payment" goes down a notch as far as "gotta have it now". In other words, if the Autopilot hardware is built in, but I can turn on Autopilot at any time for, say, $2500, I might prioritize a different option.

More important:

CUPHOLDERS :)
Tech package and sound system
Cold weather package
Moderate performance package (i.e not "Ludicrous", but having Ludicrous as an after-purchase option might be nice)

Reasonably important:
Autopilot
Sunroof
Air suspension

Other thoughts:
Roof rack clips
Towing package

Not important at all:
Leather

Well I kinda prefer leather but it gets so hot during summer. So if the alcantara is good looking I might pick that. (assuming they even offer it)

I'm thinking $50k for what I want which will be almost double any car I've ever bought before. Saving like mad and hoping for some help from the stock market. I must have supercharging but really want awd and autopilot. Larger battery might push it too high for my budget. Textile seats are fine and like an earlier poster mentioned the only cold weather tech I need is heated steering wheel. I'll really have a hard time deciding whether to sacrifice some options or put off the purchase until I can afford what I want. I guess I'll have to wait until the configurator is online.

Tesla Motors could do this the way they did with Model S and Model X, with primary trim levels based upon battery pack capacity, drivetrain, and performance level. So, that would mean a base car at $35,000 and a range of trim levels and options that could bring you to a total of nearly twice that amount, at $65,000 or so. This would require quite a bit of à la carte nickle-and-dimeing of individual, overpriced options rather than

What I actually hope is that they simply offer a single battery pack capacity for the first 18 months or so, whether for single motor rear wheel drive, or dual motor all wheel drive configurations. That way, with a common palette of up to $15,000 in options, it would be hard to exceed the $50,000 total even when maxing out the car. I say this because we learned from the Model S that the grand majority of buyers just get the largest capacity by default, which is why the Model S 40 went away. No use offering a 60 kWh or 70 kWh car at $35,000 if no one ever buys it, and grabs the 90 kWh or 100 kWh version instead.

Right now it depends. I'm Canada so it will depend on what the cost is and what our dollar is at. Ontario just announced what will probably be a 14000 dollar incentive on the Model 3 so that will soften the blow. Here's hoping that oil prices go up and our dollar strengthens by the time of order/purchase date. Originally was budgeting up to 60,000 CAD but though the incentive would be half what it will be. So willing to go higher now.

Looking for biggest battery/range I can get along with AWD. Not so worried about performance. More interested in range over performance. Would like Sunroof, cold weather package. Autopilot is on the list but not a massive thing for me. Don't really care about leather as I have never been a fan.

More interested in range over performance.
There is no appreciable range improvement by limiting potential for performance. Just because a car is capable of 0-60 MPH in three-to-four seconds doesn't mean you can't drive it slowly enough to reach the mark in thirty-to-forty seconds instead. I believe that it is more important to match the electric motor used to the maximum output of the battery pack array that is used. That way you will have the maximum efficiency possible at all points in the power band. Tesla Motors has already shown that a 60 kWh battery pack capacity can be extremely efficient even with a 300+ HP rating on the electric motor. I believe that General Motors has made a mistake by limiting the Chevrolet Bolt to a 200 HP permanent magnet motor.