Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your charging situation for the Model 3?

What is your Model 3 charging situation?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condo and emailed my HOA. They said that I could not have a circuit put in my garage because the HOA pays for the power in the garages. There is a 120v plug but I know that will do next to nothing.

There's a chance I might be able to convince my work to put in a charging stall.

If it comes to it, there's a supercharger ten minutes from my work.

I have a feeling a lot of HOAs are going to have to re-evaluate their provisions for EVs in the next couple of years. There are a ton of big tech companies relocating to within five minutes from where I live, so places that don't have the ability to charge EVs are going to be at a big disadvantage.

Reactions: ZAKEEUS
I'm about to get a used Leaf while I wait for the Model 3, so I'm having an electrician come out Monday to install a 240V 50A circuit with 14-50 plug in my garage and just ordered a 40A EVSE (Juicebox Pro). Overkill for the Leaf, but now I'll be set for the Model 3. Plus hopefully I can get the EVSE install credit, may need to research that one more.

I read that post and I'm confused on they get to the 600k #. I'm not doubting it to be true, just curious on how the math works. I looked up IRS form 8911 and am no wiser now as it references many other forms I'd have to read as well. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i8911--2015.pdf

What I did find interesting was at the bottom of the form is an estimate for how long it takes to learn about the form and law and it quotes 1 hr 3 min...

I read that post and I'm confused on they get to the 600k #. I'm not doubting it to be true, just curious on how the math works. I looked up IRS form 8911 and am no wiser now as it references many other forms I'd have to read as well. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i8911--2015.pdf

What I did find interesting was at the bottom of the form is an estimate for how long it takes to learn about the form and law and it quotes 1 hr 3 min...

I'm not sure how he came up with $600k, but when I filed my taxes, and tried to claim both the same year, I got $0 for the EVSE with no real explanation as to why. That's when I did my legwork, and found out that I'm not alone, and cpa explained why it's the case (something about AMT, even though I don't have to pay AMT normally).

I'm not a CPA, I already did my homework on this topic, and just wanted to share what I found (and confirmed) -- don't rely on the EVSE if you're filing for the EV tax credit.

• Helpful
Reactions: SureValla

I'm guessing it has something to do with the AMT only applying in a certain income range, where above that you are getting taxed at an even higher rate? See Evaluating AMT Exposure & Strategies To Reduce The AMT Bite

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
I live in a high-rise condo with underground parking, and the HOA has contracted with a company that has a multi-tenant charging solution. They just installed an L2 charger in my Volt parking spot. It wasn't cheap, they had to run 200' of conduit to get to the panel. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but it has only been about a month and I have yet to get my first bill. The Volt goes when my Model 3 arrives...

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Until the charging specification are issued by Tesla for the Model ≡. It doesn't make any since on installing anything. You will have plenty of time once you place an order not to be confused with placing a reservation. As of the last thing I read Tesla has not decided whether Model ≡ owners will be allowed to use the supercharging network. If they do how much will they pay. It was a $2,000 option on the Model S and X so it would probably be at least that.

Just FYI for the OP, there are plenty of Model S owners in various condo/HOA situations, so even though you'd be getting a Model 3 not a Model S, it might be worth checking the Model S boards to gather intel on this (especially within your region/state as there seems to be some variance in random regulations).

My HOA told me I couldn't make any permanent modifications to the exterior of the building. The lady in charge of the management company laughed and said "why don't you just throw an extension cord out the window and charge that way?" So that's how I charge my Leaf. So far they haven't said anything. I'm thinking of having a Tesla wall charger installed in my bedroom since that's the only room facing the parking lot. I'm not sure if that's to code but it would work for me.
I am in a similar situation, the apartment were I live was built in 1957. My landlord doesnt do regular maitence, and the wiring is ancient. So I built a 120v to 240v adapter for a juice box evse. I'm luky enough that my apt is close enough to reach the window. For about a month I charged using a extension cord and included charger inside the car. Not the safest of setups.

I have a feeling a lot of HOAs are going to have to re-evaluate their provisions for EVs in the next couple of years

I think the laws are definitely going to be changing in the coming years. I can remember back in the mid 90s when Primestar, DIRECTV and Echostar where growing like crazy. Laws were created which allowed anyone to have a satellite dish less than 1 meter across. Many HOAs tried to fight the laws but the law was on the consumer's side and the HOAs had to allow installs. The same thing will happen with EV charging eventually. If they don't embrace change, they will be left behind. Many new subdivisions are now requiring EV charging support instead of trying to prevent it.

I think the laws are definitely going to be changing in the coming years.

In California we have laws limiting HOA or landlord restrictions on charger stations, since 2011 and 2014 respectively. The way it was explained to me, HOAs and landlords have to approve EV charger installations as long as certain requirements are met. The most important points are that the homeowner or tenant pays for the installation and electricity, and assumes liability for the charging equipment.

There is a 120v plug but I know that will do next to nothing
While not ideal, we have had to rely on 120v on several occasions while visiting homes of friends/Airbnb etc with out model S. With normal (not extreme cold) temperatures we get 4/mph on a charge most of the time. This depends on the circuit I guess but that's been our experience. Leaving it plugged in when not in use was definitely manageable.

I live in a condo and emailed my HOA. They said that I could not have a circuit put in my garage because the HOA pays for the power in the garages. There is a 120v plug but I know that will do next to nothing.
How far is it from the meters to the garages. If they are close I don't see why you couldn't run a new circuit from your meter to the garage that is assigned to you.

HOA's are never easy to deal with, but if you can come up with a reasonable solution for both of you, it can be done. If you are willing to help pay for the install, that is usually a good first step to let them know that early on.