Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your daily charge level?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of model 3 SR+ yesterday and observed the following on the recommended charge level out of the box by Tesla. Looks like by default Tesla recommends 90% charge daily and 100% charge on trips.
Am i reading this correctly?
Is it safe to charge to these levels?
I dont need 90% charge for my commute but dont mind charging it to 90% for peace of mind if it does not affect battery life over long run 6+years.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190901-102248_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20190901-102248_Tesla.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 289
I just came back from a NY to Key West and back again trip (M3P)- rarely charged past 85% at any charger and becoming very trusting of the anticipated percentage remaining at the next charge stop, to the point of losing range anxiety even when a single digit percentage is predicted. The car told me in one tested instance that I had to drive below 80MPH to reach the next stop, so on faith I dialed back the speed to 77MPH (autopilot) and got to the next stop at exactly the 10% predicted, from that point on I charged until I reached my comfortable predicted next stop percentage, usually 13-18%, determined by super chargers between stops where usually the 80% falls in line-

I read on TMC in the past that if you keep the charge between 20-50% that there will be the least amount of battery degradation. Have no evidence beyond my personal experience. I charge my car everyday at work to 189 miles and when I get home I have around 150. When I bought the car with 12k miles it would 100% charge to 312, 1-1/2 years and 16k miles later it will still 100% charge to 312 miles (16 P100D).

I ask because my commute is 50 miles one way and the charger at work costs the same as charging at home. So i can either charge at 80% or even 90% and drive to work and back and charge the vehicle or keep charge at say 70% and charge at work and home.
Which option would be better?

I ask because my commute is 50 miles one way and the charger at work costs the same as charging at home. So i can either charge at 80% or even 90% and drive to work and back and charge the vehicle or keep charge at say 70% and charge at work and home.
Which option would be better?

If you want your BMS to more accurately report your rated range, charge to 90% and charge at either work or home. If you are paying to charge at work as well as home, then charging at home is more convenient. I have a similar experience as @Az_Rael . almost 13k miles on my model 3p in 9 months, and charge to 90% daily, plug in every time my car hits my garage (not only daily, but every single time my car enters my garage), and I have not lost a single mile in rated range.

Doesnt mean there is no degradation, but I am comfortable with what no rated range loss.

Took delivery of model 3 SR+ yesterday and observed the following on the recommended charge level out of the box by Tesla. Looks like by default Tesla recommends 90% charge daily and 100% charge on trips.
I dont need 90% charge for my commute but dont mind charging it to 90% for peace of mind if it does not affect battery life over long run 6+years.

Thanks

That's absolutely fine. Take a look at the battery warranty if you want to feel a little better.

Drive the car, enjoy the car, don't worry about the battery.

Reactions: outdoors

Thanks
yes. 90% normally and full for road trips