Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your general experience in retrofitting power lift trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m heavily debating whether or not install the power trunk set from Hansshow in my Model 3 SR+ 2020 model.

After having reviewed several guides online, I found that I wanted it “done right” and let the cables from the power struts being run from under the bumper instead of having them run through the taillights. Since I don’t think I’ll be able to do this myself in a satisfactory way, I have found a local shop who will be able to do it properly for me. This also includes having the power being run from under the rear seat.

As far as I understand, since the Hansshow V4 now uses the canbus, it has to be plugged into the rear of the center console if I’m not mistaken. How visible is the cable after installation?

mane have you had any issues with the Tesla Guarantee afterwards?

I was wondering if anyone had retrofitted the new Tesla power trunk using official parts, since it is now in the model 3.
it's possible Tesla could sell that as a service someday. But that's probably never going to happen as a DIY project.

You would most likely have to hack into the car's computer to change the cars configuration. Which is not really possible. And even if you did manage to do it, it would probably break updates, and would void a lot more of your warranty than just using aftermarket struts would.

The aftermarket options work quite well. As mentioned though the install isn't straightforward and simple, especially if you want it done cleanly. The cost, especially professionally installed just isn't worth it to me. I was disappointed when I saw it didn't come with it, initially. I know several people that has done it and are happy. I can live without it until I replace the car in a few years. MAYBE if Tesla starts offering it officially though service I would consider it. I haven't had the best luck with aftermarket parts and auto makers during the warranty period. They use it as excuse for other somewhat unrelated issues and I don't want the headache again.

Correct it doesn’t. We’ll have to see on the Tesla. I recall seeing some spy shots of the Tesla open somewhere. I don’t know if anyone can find it and compare. We’ll likely just have to wait and get something from an owner.

I have I believe the first HANSSHOW one, trunk only. I bought the foot sensor but never installed it after watching all the videos showing that it was pretty flaky. Works with both the screen and app - but doesn't show the status on the screen if opened.

So percentage wise, how far does hansshow open it relative to stock?
As i'm imagining that, it would seem more than minor to me.

I have the Teslaoffer version, so it may not be identical to Hansshow's. I'm not sure how to describe it as a percentage. But it opens high enough that can't bump my head on the trunk lid unless I jump. There isn't a lot of clearance for me(I can feel my hair brush the lid), but I don't typically do jumping jacks while leaning into an open trunk so it certainly isn't an issue...

For me... I'm 5-8. I can imagine that your experience could be different if you were a lot taller.

I'm sure that if you are an NBA player it could be a real problem, but it seems like you would have to be a lot taller than me for the difference in opening height to be a reason not to the upgrade. Because aside from testing just now, I don't think I have ever stood fully upright while leaning into the trunk. The trunk floor is low enough that I am always leaning down when loading the trunk anyway. And the taller you are the more this seems like it would be the case.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel and P-Lo801