Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your In-CAR network speed connected to home WIFI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not received any new firmware updates for 2 months now; sent an email to Tesla Customer Service - no response. Trying to find any issues with my WIFI network as i hear the 2018.6.1 update is bigger than 600mb.

I am only getting 3.2 Mbps through the car. Connected to the same network from my phone its 33 Mbps.

I use Internet Speed Test to test speeds.

Any thoughts, ideas, tweaks to get faster speeds?

Same here. My phone/car wifi speeds attached. I think you are OK.
car_wifi.jpg

Regarding updates, there are still about 25% or AP 2.5 cars to go according to teslafi ... I am also on 2017.50.3....

• Informative
Reactions: Tesomega
Firmware on a Tesla is not like iOS for an iPhone...there isn't one single "latest version" that goes to all cars at the same time. I don't think there's any evidence that your WiFi connection throughput would affect whether or not you receive a software update (outright lack of WiFi connectivity however, is). The download happens in the background, and (unless you're closely monitoring your WiFi network) you won't even know when it starts and ends.

I know it's kind of mysterious and frustrating, but IMHO there probably isn't very much for you to be able to tweak. FWIW, my last software update was back in December and I'm fine with that.

Bruce.

Reactions: Akikiki
If you are showing as connected to the wifi in the car, that means the VPN is connected to Tesla. And that’s all that matters to the mothership to show you are there and waiting for a download.

Many people (myself included) are just getting 2018.6.1 and more are getting it each day. Personally I wouldn’t want it. It’s got charging issues, MCU reboot issues and others. If you see no one get it for a week and you don’t have it, then maybe think about checking into it. :D

Reactions: Tesomega
I've gotten all firmware updates over LTE... not wifi. I've had wifi turned off for the life of the car. Several updates received within 1 week or so of "everyone else" getting it.

Only recently enabled wifi, and that was to receive new navigation maps file. Which only downloads over wifi. When that's done, wifi goes off again.

• Informative
Reactions: Tesomega and brkaus
There may be a slight priority to WiFi, so Tesla can save on data charges, but I don't think it will slow down (by date) much when you receive it. Very hard to tell without a controlled testing environment. We can't even tell when a car in the same spot most of the time (in garage, on wifi) is supposed to get updates! :D

Hmm, I just installed an old router in my garage, I used to have a repeater in there. This time around I installed a wired connection.
There's a max download of 7.1 Mbps using fast.com, while I'm getting 33 Mbps on my phone inside the car and have reached up to 12 Mbps on a single bar of LTE in the garage. Dafuq is wrong with the cars Wifi!?
I mean, short of running the cable into an ethernet port in the car, it doesnt get much better than having the router 5ft away from the right mirror!
How is that making any sense to get updates faster? Or finish larger downloads faster?
This is on 2018.21.9, so with the enhancements to the browser on my 02/2017 MCU1.

Hmm, I just installed an old router in my garage, I used to have a repeater in there. This time around I installed a wired connection.
There's a max download of 7.1 Mbps using fast.com, while I'm getting 33 Mbps on my phone inside the car and have reached up to 12 Mbps on a single bar of LTE in the garage. Dafuq is wrong with the cars Wifi!?
I mean, short of running the cable into an ethernet port in the car, it doesnt get much better than having the router 5ft away from the right mirror!
How is that making any sense to get updates faster? Or finish larger downloads faster?
This is on 2018.21.9, so with the enhancements to the browser on my 02/2017 MCU1.
7.1 Mbps seems to be about normal (fastest). It could be limited by the wifi chip in the car or simply it is software limited. The only reason for using wifi over LTE is that Tesla does not need to pay for the Cell Data over LTE and maybe it will try to use wifi first and if that does not work for a bit then it would try LTE. Also, for map data it will only download over wifi. Again, because wifi is FREE for Tesla and LTE is not.

Dafuq is wrong with the cars Wifi!?

I've mentioned this before. When I was 7 updates behind, SC agreed to push the latest ver. to my car. They told me to turn WiFi off and use LTE because it's better

Reactions: CK_Stuggi
MCU2 doesnt surprise me. That also includes new Wifi Hardare capable of 5GHz IIRC. Sure wish they'd finally come up with that MCU upgrade option.
I used to deactivate the Wifi after the software optimization update for MCU1 (2018.16?) as one bar of LTE gave me a speed of 18 Mbps vs 6 Mbps of 3 bars of Wifi.
At least now, having an old router with custom firmware installed I can see my Model S is not transferring jack via its Wifi connection, but it keeps connections to Tesla OpenVPN and Spotify open (ports 1194 and 4070 resp.). That leads me to believe my LTE connection may restrict port 4070 used by Spotify, as my library on LTE hangs everytime, whereas on Wifi it loads instantaneously.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200