Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your maximum price?

What is your max price before tax rebate?

• $110,000 or more

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • $100,000

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • $90,000

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • $80,000

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • $70,000

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • $60,000

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people can comfortably buy the base of a vehicle that they want to buy. Most of us, however, can't help but be enticed by the carrots dangled by the OEM. OEMs of course count on this to boost their profits because the carrots usually have healthy margins built in, whether it's a more memory in an iPhone or it's a Nav package in a sedan.

Without subtracting the $7,500 US tax rebate, (so everyone can play), what is the maximum price you think you and your significant other can stomach after adding in all the options that you "need"?

Base 160 = $58,000 (rounding up)
Base 230 = $68,000
Base 300 = $78,000

Some of the possible upgrade options:

Extended Warranty (with Tesla's monopoly service, everyone should probably get this one)
Special paint
Non-Internet Nav
21" Wheels
Adj. Suspension
Panoramic Roof
Leather/Interior Trim (banana leaf anyone?)
Rear facing child seats
Lane assist, auto dynamic cruise control, etc.
2nd 10kw Charger installed
PERFORMANCE/SPORT PACKAGE!!! (Requires base of at least $78k)

I know all those options (and more) are going to be very desirable. However, a base 160 mile luxury sedan that doesn't require petrol and ICE maintenance for $58k is nothing to sneeze at. It sure would kick the pants off a $40k+ Leaf!

So pick your poison. What's the most you think you can spend?

I'm yanking the bandaid off now and saying $110k. No, I'm not a millionaire and I'll probably have to finance part of it, but I *must* have the performance package and I just have to have the pano roof. Of course, compared to a $150,000+ Roadster, all these numbers look cheap! :biggrin:

Fortunately, no sales tax in WA. Woo hoo, happy dance!

Is that an EV exception? I know WA has sales tax in general.

I'm not really sure what my number will be. Depends quite a bit of if my wife finds work or not as we were primarily dumping her paycheck into the "Model S" fund each month.

Last edited:
I'm yanking the bandaid off now and saying $110k. No, I'm not a millionaire and I'll probably have to finance part of it, but I *must* have the performance package and I just have to have the pano roof. Of course, compared to a $150,000+ Roadster, all these numbers look cheap! :biggrin:

Your post made me laugh. Thanks.

Nice idea for a topic, by the way.

By the time a base Model S gets to Australia it will be roughly double the US price if the price comparison of the Roadster is anything to go by. I have put a theoretical Aud$120,000 cap on mine.
Still I think I'll still be happy with a white 160 mile on 19 inch wheels. Depending on the effect of our Luxury Car Tax (don't ask!) if there is room I will go for 21 inch wheels and a metallic but it will still be pretty basic.
Hopefully my current car will last until 2014 and so will my sanity!

Depending on the effect of our Luxury Car Tax (don't ask!) if there is room I will go for 21 inch wheels and a metallic but it will still be pretty basic.
Hopefully my current car will last until 2014 and so will my sanity!

You've got time to lobby for a California like rule that eliminates Luxury Car tax on EVs.

Can you buy a base model and have the unluxtataxed upgrades shipped separately cheaper?

You've got time to lobby for a California like rule that eliminates Luxury Car tax on EVs.
Working on it!

Can you buy a base model and have the unluxtataxed upgrades shipped separately cheaper?
Nope, they got that all figured, many cars near the LCT threshold quote 2 prices for options, one if you are under the LCT ceiling and a second if your options push you over!
I'm thinking along the lines of Tesla bills me for a car without battery and bills Better Place for the battery. I buy the car from Tesla and either lease or separately buy the battery from BP. Renault will be doing it, why not Tesla?

Probably a lot less than the S is going to cost :-(

It depends on whether the UK pricing is set against market comparators (a BMW 535 would be ~ £40,000) or if it represents a reasonable £/$ rate plus duties, etc. The sticker price will be 32% higher than what Tesla receive, so could easily be £65,000 or so for the 300 mile car with no options. Unless I can find a job within the range of a Leaf, it's hybrid-here-we-come time.

From the looks of the poll so far, it appears that the desirability of the sport option has dropped considerably. Sticker shock?

I think it's more likely that the sport option thread votes are biased by the fact people interested in the option would visit the thread and vote.

As of today more than half (53%) of the people on the other poll said they want the Sport but it depends on price. There's no conflict with this poll.