Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Your Monthly Maximum Minimum Solar Output

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heavens! I installed my 6.6 kw system two years ago, on the ground, with a massive support structure certified for 140 mph winds, permitted and inspected by the city for less than $4/watt before tax credits and incentives. Do get multiple quotes and references. $7/watt is way too much IMO.

Worst month: 82.7kwh (Jan). Best month: 1,198kwh (July). Best day: 62.4kwh (4/22/15, just a few days away!) I have a 10.26kw system, 3 arrays, in Minneapolis, MN. About 2/3 capacity facing south and 1/3 west. 8.38mwh for my first 365 days.

As one can see in the below graph my output can be as low as 14.5 KWr/day in January to 40 KWh/day in late April. The challenge is I need a lot more power in January than we do in April. I went from 28 panels initially to 33 after we purchased a Volt.

Solar Graph.JPG

Just a reminder, if you are considering solar panels purchase, read on. PG&E is not going to allow to switch you to E-6 rate plan after 5/30 (this sunday ). E-6 rate plan gives highest payout to solar owners. I just found it out from my installer. You can easily switch to that rate online before monday - I just did it today. Tomek

If you are considering solar panels purchase, and live in Northern California read on.
PG&E is not going to allow customers to switch to time of use E-6 rate plan after 5/31/16.
  • The E-6 rate plan gives highest payout to solar owners.
  • Keep in mind that E-7 is already closed to new customers.
  • The E-6 rate plan is usually best for low power usage customers.
  • The EV plan is usually best for high power usage with no TOU tiers.
  • You can easily switch to that rate online before the Monday deadline.

Just a reminder, if you are considering solar panels purchase, read on. PG&E is not going to allow to switch you to E-6 rate plan after 5/30 (this sunday ). E-6 rate plan gives highest payout to solar owners. I just found it out from my installer. You can easily switch to that rate online before monday - I just did it today. Tomek
Most solar installers are not used to the usage patterns of EV owners, so they think E-6 is the best. In my experience, if you charge an EV mostly at home, after 11pm, and don't use that much A/C or run things like pool pumps in the middle of the afternoon, you will come out ahead with Schedule EV over E-6. For example, my 2014 True-Up on E-6 (calculated all with Jan 2015 rates) would have been $990 while on the EV rate schedule it would have been $692. I was charging one EV at that time and I do not have A/C at all. My solar is only 4.32kW DC and I have some partial winter shading.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele