Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your plan B?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going on my first > 1k mile trip in a week. Will have my entire family and luggage along. I am using ABRP and have each days trips mapped out. Charge to 60, travel to 10%, repeat.

So , what happens when I arrive an an out of the way charger and it is out of service. For some reason NAV doesn’t tell me it’s down. No range to get to another supercharger.

What is plan B?

I have plugshare. I have my mobile charger. I know around me the non-Tesla charging options are pretty crap. A few level 2s. Maybe 1 hotel in town with destination charging.
I would charge to 90 and travel to 40 rather than the 60/10. There is almost no difference to battery wear and tear, and you have the extra battery reserve for the unexpected. Charging will take a little longer .. if that is a concern try 80/30.

My reference to 60% is when it allows one to get to the next SC with 20% remaining. The point being to avoid getting into the taper to optimize charging speed.

I drive round the clock, so the concept of overnighting at a certain SOC does not apply. If I plan to do a rest stop, I’ll charge enough to cover the car camping energy expense.

I try for 20% in general. I’ve been learning from @Bighorn for years. Now I’d like to ask, What does “drive around the clock” mean, you drive 24 hours a day?

Thanks in advance... and, of course, keep on trucking.. ( keep on Teslaing?)

I try for 20% in general. I’ve been learning from @Bighorn for years. Now I’d like to ask, What does “drive around the clock” mean, you drive 24 hours a day?

For some of us we drive 24 hour stints I guess if we look back on those times. More of a goal to keep on hitting the miles or charging points.

I pull the 1200 mile 24 hours solo. Yes solo.

I think the record is @Darren S in a 24 hour period. 1238.

I’ll nap at chargers during the day while charging and generally do a 3-4 hour sleep at some point over night either at a rest stop or deserted SC. Worst case an on ramp or parking lot. I’m generally not stopping anywhere for overnight lodging and I’ll do this for 3-4 weeks. In better times, I would stay with friends and family along the way. Did visit daughters on either coast in May, but all were serious about quarantining. In the absence of that, irregular time out for showers at truck stops, though I haven’t done that since early in the pandemic, March when I was doing the new trans-Canada route.
Glad I’ve been of some assistance over the years!

I’ll nap at chargers during the day while charging and generally do a 3-4 hour sleep at some point over night either at a rest stop or deserted SC. Worst case an on ramp or parking lot. I’m generally not stopping anywhere for overnight lodging and I’ll do this for 3-4 weeks. In better times, I would stay with friends and family along the way. Did visit daughters on either coast in May, but all were serious about quarantining. In the absence of that, irregular time out for showers at truck stops, though I haven’t done that since early in the pandemic, March when I was doing the new trans-Canada route.
Glad I’ve been of some assistance over the years!

thanks. I used to drive 12-15 hours, with bathroom breaks, a few times each year. But I got tired and stopped. With the Tesla and autopilot, the stress is so much lower and I wonder if I could return to all day driving.

with FSD, I will return to low traffic night driving. But I need it to avoid critters crossing the road.

For some of us we drive 24 hour stints I guess if we look back on those times. More of a goal to keep on hitting the miles or charging points.

I pull the 1200 mile 24 hours solo. Yes solo.

I think the record is @Darren S in a 24 hour period. 1238.

You've done good, @outdoors, and anything in that 1,200-mile range for 24 hrs is impressive. I even did that in my 90D that already lost some range (so probably more like 270 miles of range) and was capped at a max of 90 kW at a supercharger.

It should be rather easy to go much farther in a faster-charging and farther range vehicle that could hit some V3 chargers.

And yes, the road warriors like @Bighorn know some of the tips and tricks to nap when possible and there is little "idle" time in a 24 hr span of time.

Relax pops, you will be safe, he immunized already:)

neither myself nor any of the 30 members of my extended family have had COVID.

I am a democrat and voted for my mayor Pete in the primary, and Biden in the general.

I run a company and was one of the first companies in my city to send workers home to be safe.

please don’t judge a road trip you know nothing about.

thanks

Reactions: pilotSteve
I’ll nap at chargers during the day while charging and generally do a 3-4 hour sleep at some point over night either at a rest stop or deserted SC. Worst case an on ramp or parking lot. I’m generally not stopping anywhere for overnight lodging and I’ll do this for 3-4 weeks.!

I know this is off topic, but so on these trips you are just driving driving and driving?
And then sleeping for short periods in the car?
are you exploring or going out for walks or anything?

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I’ve done 1200 miles solo in between 18 and 23 hours - Philly ‘Burbs to Naples, FL, but not in my Tesla. Drove it the first time taking my time and it took 23 hours stopping at restaurants for meals. On the way home I said screw it and only stopped for minimal gas/bio breaks and made it in between 18 and 19 hours - it was a caffeine-fueled ordeal. I was in my early- to mid-40s at the time. More recently I find I don’t have the stamina to do the straight-through anymore and I have to stop somewhere and do some serious sleeping - no amount of caffeine can get me through it any more. Florence, SC is about the mid-point, and a convenient stop-over. The last time I did it, it nearly killed me. I’d like to try it again in the Tesla to see how it compares. I’m afraid it might be worse. I enjoy driving and I’m afraid the boredom of AutoPilot will make it even more exhausting.

The thing that surprised me the most the first time: once I crossed the Georgia-Florida line, I was still 6 hours from Naples.

Just to punctuate the point of buffers since it’s been slightly contentious. I just now drove 152 miles to a SC from my house. The Nav said I’d arrive with 14% and I thought better of it, so charged up the car. When I left, Nav said I’d arrive with 31%. I arrived with 12% because of wind. I kept the heat off for 90% of the trip. So while 3rd party training wheels might have come up with a different goal charge, when you’re ready to be self/sufficient, keep this in mind. It might save you from a “flatbed of shame.” Seen plenty of those, but not for me , knock wood

@Owner Definitely get out and smell the roses. Take the scenic route when possible. Drive the pacific coast several times a year. Pre-Covid, I made a point of Yelping the best regional cuisine. I’m not in such a mad dash anymore since I retired.

thanks. I used to drive 12-15 hours, with bathroom breaks, a few times each year. But I got tired and stopped. With the Tesla and autopilot, the stress is so much lower and I wonder if I could return to all day driving.

with FSD, I will return to low traffic night driving. But I need it to avoid critters crossing the road.
With enough caffeine I can go 17.5 hours, but I don't think autopilot would extend that very much, even with supercharging naps.

neither myself nor any of the 30 members of my extended family have had COVID.

I am a democrat and voted for my mayor Pete in the primary, and Biden in the general.

I run a company and was one of the first companies in my city to send workers home to be safe.

please don’t judge a road trip you know nothing about.

thanks

Point taken Sir, I thought the smilie at the end explained it all. Sorry to have stepped on raw nerves. Fxxx politicians, really!

Reactions: MrTuna
After some 12 hour days, turns out super chargers are faster than families.

every time the car beat the family at the stops. So often had an extra 15 minutes to charge. Which means I often charged to like 90%, and hit the next stop with 35%. Will need to save my ABRP hyper-optimizing skills for solo trips.

all said, what a great car trip car. Love this thing.

After some 12 hour days, turns out super chargers are faster than families.
Niiiice. I'm glad it went well. I figured you were overthinking it, but it's new and different and so of course a nervous thing. You can pretty much seat-of-the-pants things now, because it's not 2014 anymore. The cars and Superchargers are so much longer range and faster charging than they were back then.

Reactions: MrTuna
I’ve made several long trips in my Raven I quit worrying about stops a long time ago. I plug in the destination in navigate and the car plans the stops. When I have strong headwinds, the car refigures the stops on its own. Now there are areas where charging is scarce and some planning with another route planner helps, especially on the plains, but the car does a pretty good job. Also, the car tells me how busy the stops are so I can adjust if needed. Did a 720 mile trip one day. The car called for 2stops, lunch and a snack. On return there was a strong headwind and after the first stop short adjusted to 5 stops. I trust it pretty much.

I’ve made several long trips in my Raven I quit worrying about stops a long time ago. I plug in the destination in navigate and the car plans the stops. When I have strong headwinds, the car refigures the stops on its own. Now there are areas where charging is scarce and some planning with another route planner helps, especially on the plains, but the car does a pretty good job. Also, the car tells me how busy the stops are so I can adjust if needed. Did a 720 mile trip one day. The car called for 2stops, lunch and a snack. On return there was a strong headwind and after the first stop short adjusted to 5 stops. I trust it pretty much.

Out of curiosity... the wind thing isn’t a “Tesla is looking at a weather map and calculating estimated wind speed for a trip “ so much as “the Tesla sees my energy usage is up 15% so far this trips and adjusts stops accordingly”?

temp is real easy to take into account before I leave, wind speed and direction is a bit harder.