Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your plan B?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity... the wind thing isn’t a “Tesla is looking at a weather map and calculating estimated wind speed for a trip “ so much as “the Tesla sees my energy usage is up 15% so far this trips and adjusts stops accordingly”?

temp is real easy to take into account before I leave, wind speed and direction is a bit harder.

This is my go-to for a Wind Map

the wind thing isn’t a “Tesla is looking at a weather map and calculating estimated wind speed for a trip “ so much as “the Tesla sees my energy usage is up 15% so far this trips and adjusts stops accordingly”?
Correct. The car is basing it off of energy usage and adjusting on the fly. If you wanted to plan ahead or choose different options, you'd have to use 3rd party resources for wind activity and trip planning.

I’ve made several long trips in my Raven I quit worrying about stops a long time ago. I plug in the destination in navigate and the car plans the stops. When I have strong headwinds, the car refigures the stops on its own. Now there are areas where charging is scarce and some planning with another route planner helps, especially on the plains, but the car does a pretty good job. Also, the car tells me how busy the stops are so I can adjust if needed. Did a 720 mile trip one day. The car called for 2stops, lunch and a snack. On return there was a strong headwind and after the first stop short adjusted to 5 stops. I trust it pretty much.
I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Perhaps Tesla has made some updates to it that improved it, but I have been bitten by the "Beta Trip Planner" 's awful decision making before, so I will not trust it anymore. The fatal flaw is how it was set to try to do the least number of stops and try to skip over Superchargers, no matter how inconvenient or unrealistic the charging times and distances between are. Here is a more full description about it:

Strategy on Long Drive

Out of curiosity... the wind thing isn’t a “Tesla is looking at a weather map and calculating estimated wind speed for a trip “ so much as “the Tesla sees my energy usage is up 15% so far this trips and adjusts stops accordingly”?

temp is real easy to take into account before I leave, wind speed and direction is a bit harder.
Yes, I think the car sees consumption up and adjusts on that basis. However, I think primarily it’s just changing the stops based on my changing the schedule. I’ve seen it on other trips when I stopped early for my own reasons.

To answer OP's question:

Tesla has built in plans B, C, D, E by creating redundancy at each supercharger site with chargers running in parallel (think of each supercharger cabinet that supplies 2 plugs in V1/2 and 4 plugs with V3). A cabinet or plug can go down and there are still others working at the site. Compare this to the Chargepoint or Electrify America approach with 1 or 2 DC plugs at a site with the potential to have zero availability due to something not working. Nonetheless, a supercharger station still could find itself cut off from power temporarily by the utility or there could be wholesale shutdowns of a site due to weather, accidents, maintenance, etc...

I have 265k miles on my S and have driven across the western US: I carry a Chademo adapter just in case (it has saved the day a couple of times, but probably not worth the cost for most of us), also carry a mobile UMC with 120 adapter, 6-50 adapter (welder's plug), 14-50 (campgrounds and most EV owners), and 10-30 adapter (electric dryer plug).. Combined with a J1772 and plugshare, you can pretty much travel anywhere there is electricity

I thought the recommendation was - for battery health, avoid going below 20%. Can you not move the charge up from 60%-10% to 70%-20%? Also gives a slight advantage if there is a plan B a bit further away.

Last edited:
I thought the recommendation was - for battery health, avoid going below 20%. Can you not move the charge up from 60%-10% to 79%-20%?
Context. Those things about battery health are where the battery is sitting at some state of charge for a long time. Short periods in a particular state are not much impact. And in this context of road tripping, the battery is only getting down that low for a very short time when you arrive at the Supercharger and then plug in. I do personally try to shoot for 15-20% just to leave myself that extra wiggle room in case something goes a little off from the plan, but ending up near 10% for a short time is not a big deal.

Reactions: gaswalla
In addition you can simply reduce power a bit when you get to below 20%, i.e. don't accelerate rapidly, don't recuperate extremely, slow down a little. By following these simple rules, your battery will easily tolerate 10%, even 5%, without degradation.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
I assumed that going to almost 0% once in a while was not detrimental, but my question was more about habitual behaviour. I would imagine we would want to avoid going down to 10% (if at all possible!) if you do several road trips a year (once the pandemic is over).

I mean, obviously the car is not going burn down, fall over, and sink into the swamp the first few times you hit say, 5%. Same as if I'm aiming for a long long leg on the trip, I'd consider charging to 100% on the stop before that. But I'm thinking that if you have an option to avoid that, it's prudent to do so?

Drive more, worry less. :)

My target Supercharger arrival is around 12-15% in good weather and 25-30% in bad weather. I travel with all of the Tesla NEMA adapters except the NEMA 6-15. The CHAdeMO adapter has come in handy a time or two.

Autopilot makes long trips very relaxing. I routinely run for 15-16 hours at a time. Early on in the pandemic I went coast to coast with one overnight stop in Custer, SD and two short naps. We made really good time on that trip.

Last edited:
I assumed that going to almost 0% once in a while was not detrimental, but my question was more about habitual behaviour. I would imagine we would want to avoid going down to 10% (if at all possible!) if you do several road trips a year (once the pandemic is over).

I mean, obviously the car is not going burn down, fall over, and sink into the swamp the first few times you hit say, 5%. Same as if I'm aiming for a long long leg on the trip, I'd consider charging to 100% on the stop before that. But I'm thinking that if you have an option to avoid that, it's prudent to do so?
What I do on trips is watch the "percent remaining at destination" located on the popup under the turn-by-turns. Ideally, I don't let it get below 20% but I've gone down to 5% when necessary (like when I missed a turn and went fifty miles out of the way). If you watch that and adjust your driving accordingly, you'll never need to worry about reaching zero because it recalculates as you drive.

Reactions: Bighorn