Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your plan B?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
San Francisco (the city itself) has and still has the lowest COVID rates and deaths in the nation. Folks are for the most part are following the rules.

Nobody who works in the SF government can be believed.

The Bay Area at a glance has many areas with over 6% infection rate. That's not the lowest.
Cases by Zip Code and City - Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - County of Santa Clara

In any case, have you been to Utah since March? If you are worried about C19 go rent something there until there are no more diseases in the US.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and Owner
We do as @Bighorn suggested as splash and dash. It works every time. I still pull 1000-1200 mile days like him. So trust me he gets it, and uses ABRP along with a great wind app. Notice in his title (Top Supercharger);). If you go too low the ramp speed takes a bit to get up to speed. Maybe not as much on a new Y. After 100k I noticed that my ramp needs to be a little higher SoC to get to the higher speed before taper. I see this more on my S than 3. Many will never experience this as they likely will never put the mileage annually to see the difference. When you hit 10-15 charge points in a day you learn real quick the idiosyncrasies of charging.
this is 10% arrival SoC on ABRP not nav. I have ABRP dialed in to be within 2%. Can land at 10% without needing to slow down. Spend some time in ABRP, it’s fun.
Thanks for the clarification. Still stand by my advice based on having the most extensive experience around North America. I used to aim for 5% arrivals back in 2014. Chalk my advice up to edge cases. In addition to mentioned power limitations, you are putting undue stress on the battery. You may change your approach after finding an unmapped detour or missing an exit that’s no longer aligned with the map, with no opportunity to turn around and return within your buffer. YMMV.

Hey we are in a raging pandemic. Stay home.
Don’t disagree entirely, but one can essentially quarantine for days or weeks at a time while car camping. I’d have no more exposure than I would at home, and that’s been minimal for months. Just food and essentials shopping, which can be mitigated with curbside pickup.

Retired physician who is pretty facile with the data.

I never plan on 10%, ever. It might happen due to unplanned events. But I don’t plan on 10%.

In winter, where it can get very cold where I live, I never plan below 30%. Summer 20%. I want the flexibility to make it to another charger. Which can be 50 miles away.

60% is to low, unless you’re on the last leg and you have plenty to get to destination (that has charging).

I never like leaving the car overnight very low either.

Reactions: Thp3 and dhrivnak
I never plan on 10%, ever. It might happen due to unplanned events. But I don’t plan on 10%.

In winter, where it can get very cold where I live, I never plan below 30%. Summer 20%. I want the flexibility to make it to another charger. Which can be 50 miles away.

60% is to low, unless you’re on the last leg and you have plenty to get to destination (that has charging).

I never like leaving the car overnight very low either.

My reference to 60% is when it allows one to get to the next SC with 20% remaining. The point being to avoid getting into the taper to optimize charging speed. Most know not to waste time past 80% unless absolutely necessary or it charges longer due to a leisurely stop for a meal or entertainment. When chargers are 80-120 miles apart, one can easily titrate the necessary goal SOC as needed to optimize your stops.

I drive round the clock, so the concept of overnighting at a certain SOC does not apply. If I plan to do a rest stop, I’ll charge enough to cover the car camping energy expense.

Reactions: Big Earl
Don’t disagree entirely, but one can essentially quarantine for days or weeks at a time while car camping. I’d have no more exposure than I would at home, and that’s been minimal for months. Just food and essentials shopping, which can be mitigated with curbside pickup.

Retired physician who is pretty facile with the data.

I agree that 'can happen' but it is not very common for folks to be car camping solo or just in their 'car group from the same household' -- especially during the winter. I've seen youtube videos of folks camping and rv - ing. Most of them are meeting up with others and in and out of each others rvs.

So yes, lets just keep it simple. Don't be out traveling. Especially with this new more contagious variant which is probably causing the recent spike along with the folks that intermixed during the holidays.

• Disagree
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
I agree that 'can happen' but it is not very common for folks to be car camping solo or just in their 'car group from the same household' -- especially during the winter. I've seen youtube videos of folks camping and rv - ing. Most of them are meeting up with others and in and out of each others rvs.

So yes, lets just keep it simple. Don't be out traveling. Especially with this new more contagious variant which is probably causing the recent spike along with the folks that intermixed during the holidays.

Again, I don't disagree, but I've spent months a year car camping for 7 years now, 350k miles solo with the dog or not. Not meeting up with anybody. 3 trips, probably 30k miles, this year and never felt like my exposure risk was greater than at home. Most chargers don't have any other cars charging because I'm circling the country, typically. I realize I'm an outlier, but I was just speaking from personal experience. Did about 50k miles fewer in 2020 than in recent years, so I've certainly scaled back my travels.

We stop when it is time for a lunch or dinner. Even fast food normally takes 45 minutes and more times than not, at 40 minutes I am 80+% and the car is warning me to move. In over 51,000 miles of driving the built in navigation has never steered me wrong. Occasionally a stall may be down but have never had a site down or a SuperCharger full. And with a SuperCharger at 600 miles/hour and most level 2 chargers at 28 miles/hour to me they are not a plan B.

Last edited:
Going on my first > 1k mile trip in a week. Will have my entire family and luggage along. I am using ABRP and have each days trips mapped out. Charge to 60, travel to 10%, repeat.

So , what happens when I arrive an an out of the way charger and it is out of service. For some reason NAV doesn’t tell me it’s down. .
My NAV always tells me the number of stations available and if the SC is down (rare).
Just tap on the red SC symbol and it will give you the information.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I don't actually use ABRP. Back in the day I supported and used evtripplanner.com. Now I throw a pillow in, because the bed usually stays set up, and pack a week's worth of snacks and navigate SC to SC. I would have developed a list of unvisited superchargers, so it's not a point A to point B proposition. It's 50 new chargers around the continent. That should tell you that, in many cases, planning really is not necessary. My decision to leave home is often 24 hours before departure. A family affair is obviously a different set of logistics.

Reactions: Big Earl and MrTuna
Going on my first > 1k mile trip in a week. Will have my entire family and luggage along. I am using ABRP and have each days trips mapped out. Charge to 60, travel to 10%, repeat.

So , what happens when I arrive an an out of the way charger and it is out of service. For some reason NAV doesn’t tell me it’s down. No range to get to another supercharger.

Drive to an L2 nearby and check into a hotel or sleep in the car.

What is plan B?

I have plugshare. I have my mobile charger. I know around me the non-Tesla charging options are pretty crap. A few level 2s. Maybe 1 hotel in town with destination charging.

It sounds like you've got your plan B sorted out. Level 2 is the next best thing until Tesla produces a CCS adapter. You could get a CHAdeMO adapter, but that's just buying in to old tech.

We've put almost 16,000 miles on the car in five months, almost entirely interstate and Supercharging. We've never not been able to charge at a location, but we've definitely had some dead stalls and had to switch to a different one, or share power with another car at a reduced rate, and one time had to wait in line for a few minutes for a spot. But we've never been unable to charge.

Honestly, reading your other comments in this thread it looks like you've made up your mind and aren't willing to accept the experiences of others. Go make your own experiences and stop asking others for advice and then telling them they're wrong.

Here's a map of our charging locations. Red is Superchargers, orange is Tesla destination, yellow is J1772, and gray is NEMA 5-15. There are a few that aren't visible because they're so near another charging location that they get obscured. We've charged at several J1772 locations that aren't displayed and a couple NEMA 14-50 locations as well.

LoudMusic-Tesla-Charge.PNG

California has banned short-term rentals -- hotels, homes etc.. Although yes one household temporarily staying in another location likely carries little risk.

cool! Luckily I do not live not plan to travel through Cali. I don’t live in Cali for a reason! But please stay home if you think it makes you more safe. My extended family is 100% COVID free, so we must be managing our exposure OK.

Honestly, reading your other comments in this thread it looks like you've made up your mind and aren't willing to accept the experiences of others. Go make your own experiences and stop asking others for advice and then telling them they're wrong.

meh, wisdom is great. Being told to charge an extra 20% and ignore ABRP isn’t something I am willing to do. Nor is it really an answer to my actual question.

overall I got what I needed out of this thread. Mobile charger + plugshare should give me a pretty good plan B and C.

So , what happens when I arrive an an out of the way charger and it is out of service. For some reason NAV doesn’t tell me it’s down. No range to get to another supercharger.

What is plan B?

I have plugshare. I have my mobile charger. I know around me the non-Tesla charging options are pretty crap. A few level 2s. Maybe 1 hotel in town with destination charging.
In eight years and almost 80K of road trips the only time I was unable to charge because of a Supercharger being down was when power was out in the town the SC was located in. Gas cars couldn't fill up either since the pumps require electricity. Power was back on in about an hour. This is a total non-issue. (Of course, the first couple of years, there were no Superchargers within 1500 miles, RV parks worked just fine back then and were faster than public chargers.)

Reactions: Rocky_H
OP's plan is a good one, but most of us would keep a little more buffer and charge just a bit higher when you have the whole family along.

Recent updates to Autopilot display now shows the total number of functioning empty stalls are at each Supercharger. Will allow travelers to better select which of several Superchargers they will wish to stop at.