Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your Powerwall 2 charging rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine are charging at 11kW right now, and I have never seen any charge restriction. I have also never seen them charge from the grid. I was told they will never do that (aside from a bug in an older software release that allowed it.)

It may be worth noting that I have not played with backup-only mode. My feeling is that keeping the Powerwalls charged to 100% all the time can't be good for them.

Mine are charging at 11kW right now, and I have never seen any charge restriction. I have also never seen them charge from the grid. I was told they will never do that (aside from a bug in an older software release that allowed it.)

It may be worth noting that I have not played with backup-only mode. My feeling is that keeping the Powerwalls charged to 100% all the time can't be good for them.
They lose 1% a day if you don't charge them. I'm still waiting on PG&E to give the PTO so I'm stuck in backup mode with solar off.

They lose 1% a day if you don't charge them. I'm still waiting on PG&E to give the PTO so I'm stuck in backup mode with solar off.

Yes, but what I mean is, keeping them charged near 100% all the time is likely going to cause them to lose storage capacity faster than if you cycle them and keep them closer to the sweet spot of 50%. I'm sure Tesla has modeled this extensively, but they're not sharing it, even internally.

I got my PTO last Thursday, and I've been net exporting since, which is both nice and annoying because I won't get credit for exported energy for another month. The utility gets to sell it to my neighbors and I get nothing but the satisfaction of offsetting a small amount of dirty generation.

I seem to be limited to 10kw with 2 powerwalls.
IMG_1118.png

Wow, there is a pretty big range that people are reporting for the maximum PW charge rate. For the posters that are experiencing a charge rate of less than 5 kW per PW, did Tesla install your PWs or were the PWs installed by a non-Tesla contractor? I”m thinking that the limitation has to do with how the PWs were installed and I am going to assume that Tesla installers know what the charge rate should be and are most likely to install and configure the PWs properly.

I'm currently getting a maximum charge rate of about 1.7 kW per PW, and Tesla installed the Powerwalls. I haven't gotten the official PTO from PG&E, though. I've heard mention that that may affect the maximum charge rate for some reason (can't find the reference, unfortunately).

I'm currently getting a maximum charge rate of about 1.7 kW per PW, and Tesla installed the Powerwalls. I haven't gotten the official PTO from PG&E, though. I've heard mention that that may affect the maximum charge rate for some reason (can't find the reference, unfortunately).
I thought that installations without solar were limited to charging at 1.7kW per Powerwall.

I do have solar, though. It actually looks like I'm peaking out at 3.3 kW. Here is an example:
View attachment 289925

The way that I read your "Battery State" you appear to be maxing out at 10kW. It appears that you have the "Battery State" as an area rather than a line. You also have "Solar Generation" as a line instead of an area. My "Battery State" line shows it maxing out at 10kW, same as yours. I did my PVOutput setup based on the instructions on the Mike's Gear website: Monitoring Tesla’s Powerwall2 on PVOutput.org. This is how he set up the parameters. With this parameter setup it looks a lot like the Tesla app but with the added Battery State line:

screenshot-2017-12-19-11-18-20.png

This is what my output looks like:
PVOutput-2018-03-28.jpg