Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your Powerwall 2 charging rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the spec for the discharging rate is 7kW peak / 5kW continuous, and I've noticed that during my grid outage, it serves pretty good and exceeded the 7kW spec for peak usage.
However, the charging rate to the powerwall 2 is peaked out at 3.3kW from my solar panel, so any excess is sold back to the grid. I have a 6.6kW solar inverter and 2 powerwall 2.
I haven't checked the breaker box for the powerwall yet, but my gut is telling me that the breaker they used on the charging end of the powerwall is the cause of the peak charging rate locked at 3.3kW.
What are you guys thoughts on this? What is your charging rate? What is the manufacture spec for the charging limitation?

7BF5AD0B-AFCC-4BB7-BA59-4BB73AB2E286.png
I have seen my PWs charge at 5.5kw with my 6kw solar system. Here is the proof that they charge above 3.3kw... 4.2kw to PWs

Several people on one of the Facebook groups are reporting the same "bug" where PowerWalls charge at only 3.3kW. Some even reported that a pair of PowerWalls only charged at 3.3kW in total. Some are talking about grid charging after outage in backup mode and some are solar charging in Self Consumption mode.

I have one PW-2 with ~6 kW Solar. I have seen the PW-2 charge at up to 5 kW from solar. Once when I set the Reserve value higher than normal for a scheduled grid outage, I noted the PW-2 charging from the grid I noted the PW-2 charging at a lower rate.

IIRC it was somewhere around 3-3.5 kW until it reached the Reserve value I set while there was no solar (I did this at night in readiness for the outage next day) . This is v1.6.0 firmware.

Cheers,

Harry E.
===

@Shygar, A few questions:

1. What is the max power your Solar array can produce?
2. What is the baseload for your consumption?
3. What is the setting you have for Reserve (ie: grid outage)?

At the rate they quote and assuming you don't draw any power it would take about 8-9 hours to fully charge your battery from near exhaution so I'm curious...

Cheers,

Harry E.
===

@Shygar, A few questions:

1. What is the max power your Solar array can produce?
2. What is the baseload for your consumption?
3. What is the setting you have for Reserve (ie: grid outage)?

At the rate they quote and assuming you don't draw any power it would take about 8-9 hours to fully charge your battery from near exhaution so I'm curious...

Cheers,

Harry E.
===
I have a 7.5kW solar array. I'm still going back and forth with PG&E so I can't officially turn it on yet and I still have my battery set to backup mode (so 100% backup).

But yea 13.5 / 1.7 is ~ 8, so yea I'd expect 8 hours to fully charge a fully depleted battery, assuming I'm generating at least 1.7kW for 8+ hours a day.

My setup is 6.9 kW solar array, with a 6.6 kW inverter.
Charging from solar maxed out at 3.3kW, but discharging the battery will exceed 3.3kW, depends on how much power my house was using, I saw 8-9kW sometime during peak, or even 5-6kW continuously.

So back to my initial question, why the charging rate is different than the discharging rate.

We are talking about the PW-2-AC version (inbuilt inverter)? If not this may be a limit imposed by your configuration.

With my installation, the PW-2 can provide or consume 5 kW continuous depending if its discharging or charging respectively so I don't see why your unit is limited to less that it's rated continuous capacity. I'd be looking for a fault, most likely a temperature related one.

I have not seen any temperature related figures in the associated URI's of the Energy Gateway but now that you mention this I'll go looking to see if I can find any.

Cheers,

Harry E.
===