Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what is your preferred autopilot setting for every day highway commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing you mean following distance. I change it as I drive. When we're in heavy slow traffic, I drop it down to 1 or 2. When at highway cruising speed, I go up to about 4. It's completely situation dependent and changes as I drive.
Wouldn't it be nice if follow distance wad more adaptive?

It should automatically increase follow distance in light traffic conditions and decrease follow distance in heavy traffic conditions.

Additionally, it should also be smoother and allow for more variance in follow distance. I still find it too eager to maintain the prescribed follow distance and make many frequent speed/steering adjustments which makes the ride uncomfortable.

Reactions: krettig
Wouldn't it be nice if follow distance wad more adaptive?

It should automatically increase follow distance in light traffic conditions and decrease follow distance in heavy traffic conditions.

Additionally, it should also be smoother and allow for more variance in follow distance. I still find it too eager to maintain the prescribed follow distance and make many frequent speed/steering adjustments which makes the ride uncomfortable.

Ideally, I'd love for the "1-6" settings to be actual closing speed. In other words, setting 2 would be a 2-second following distance. So on and so forth. Then it would be fully adaptive.

That said, I wouldn't say the current system makes the ride uncomfortable, but it does require driver intervention... which may not be such a bad thing - it keeps you engaged in the drive.

Follow distance is usually 2, increased if conditions are bad decreased if needed for traffic. Confirm lane changes just because sometimes it seems to want to make lane changes that don't make sense and I don't want to have to try to cancel them before they happen, not to mention the blinker coming on then canceling and confusing or frustrating other drivers. Standard acceleration and standard Regen.

If no or very light traffic I keep mine on 4 and generally prefer that
Any higher leaves a really large gap
If traffic I go down to 3

would prefer go down to 1 or 2 as 3 leaves too much distance for heavy traffic but ride is more jerky in traffic on 1 or 2 in my experience and I more often feel like I need to take over

Here’s what has worked for me on my daily commute (metro Atlanta traffic, 30miles one way of which 28 are on interstate 75). I have basic autopilot.

When cruising slower than others (65-70mph), I set follow distance to 7 to reduce rock chips. This also leaves plenty of room to let others cut you off and not trigger breaking.

When cruising slightly faster than others (75-80mph), I switch follow distance to between 3-4. This is mainly to keep the distance somewhat closer to the car in front of you.

When cruising much faster than others and in situations where I am routinely catching up to a slow car while on the right lane, I set follow distance to 1 to allow me plenty of distance without the brakes engaging before I turned on the turn signal and manually disengage auto steer by slowly turning the wheel to pass.

Mine is at 1 (which I'd swear is longer than it used to be) unless the weather is bad then I go to 2 or 3.

Can't imagine using higher #s as I'd perpetually be dropped back further and further in traffic from cut-ins.... and I don't even live someplace with truly bad traffic like Atlanta or LA...

Reactions: Ryephile
Mine is at 1 (which I'd swear is longer than it used to be) unless the weather is bad then I go to 2 or 3.

Can't imagine using higher #s as I'd perpetually be dropped back further and further in traffic from cut-ins.... and I don't even live someplace with truly bad traffic like Atlanta or LA...

I agree, it seems that after 2019.40.50 the following distance is longer on the same "number". I also agree that number 1 is very conservative as the closest following distance, traffic cuts in front of me when following on number 1 quite frequently.

Hello,

Just wondering what is your preferred autopilot setting for every day highway commute ?

I have a 120 mile RT freeway commute - follow distance is set at 1, but I honestly don't see a huge difference between the settings.

For Navigate on Autopilot, I enable it for every trip, I use Mild speed lane changes without confirmation required and vibration notification.

For me, mild matches more of my lane change style. I found that average would start the lane change really far back and since I am doing around average speed, it would tend to block the passing lane.

Dallas/Fort Worth traffic = 1 if you want to live.
Navigate on AP = Off
MPH = 90

52 miles each way. Speed limits are 70-75MPH. Most of the traffic is around 80-85, so 90 keeps me right up next to them. Any space between cars causes someone to move over and cut you off.

I keep following distance at 1 to draft.

drafting.png

Draft Mode

draft mode.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Bblsttx