Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your profession?

What is your income? (Or if retired, your previous income)

• $0 - 30,000

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • $30,000 - 50,000

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • $50,000 - 70,000

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • $70,000 - 90,000

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • $90,000 - 120,000

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • $120,000 - 180,000

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • $180,000 - 250,000

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • $250,000 - 500,000

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • $500,000+

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing one person disclose several months ago an AGI of 60k/yr for selling rats on a Kentucky street corner for the gerbil wheels that power their neighborhood that got me wondering...

Teslas have a reputation for being an expensive brand. And I’ve seen some good folks on this forum gearing up to purchase the Roadster 2.0 for example.

For me, I can only dream of ever having the means of owning a car like that. Although perhaps I’m subconsciously looking for some encouragement to achieve my dreams haha.

But I’m curious, what do you all do professionally? I get the sense that some here have a moderate income but have saved and some here have high incomes and paid for their SP with cash. I know for some people disclosing income is a bit of a faux pas. If you don’t participate in the poll I’m still curious to know where people are at professionally and even how they got there. In essence, how can you afford a Tesla, or even 3-4 Teslas? Do you have any particular professional or financial advice for younger folks?

Electric grid / Substation Operator here.
Keeping the lights on and the linemen safe when things need to be shutdown.
Before that was 11 yrs in the Navy as a Sub Nuclear Mechanic (3rs) and later a Satellite Communications Tech (8yrs)
That is a really cool set of careers. Is a substation operator part of the electrician trade or is it separate? Thank you for your service btw

Reactions: acnetworkoper
I am more or less retired but spent my career as a(n): epidemiologist, banker, microlender, management consultant (auto, aerospace, financial services, banking), investor, flight school and charter company operator, etc. Skipped a few things. In the process I've lived and/or worked in too many countries to list.

After driving a Tesla in 2012 I switched investment emphasis from all those things to mostly renewables/ BEV and Tesla. Now I'm addicted.

I am more or less retired but spent my career as a(n): epidemiologist, banker, microlender, management consultant (auto, aerospace, financial services, banking), investor, flight school and charter company operator, etc. Skipped a few things. In the process I've lived and/or worked in too many countries to list.

After driving a Tesla in 2012 I switched investment emphasis from all those things to mostly renewables/ BEV and Tesla. Now I'm addicted.

Wow, You have so many jobs. Well if I got retired, I'll go investing my money also.

Reactions: Saturday
I graduated college with a degree in journalism and a pilot's license--I wanted to be an airline pilot, but graduating after 9/11 meant there weren't any pilot jobs to be found and the military (at the time) didn't want pilots with artsy-fartsy liberal arts degrees. My first job was writing for trade publications in the forestry industry. Then the journalism industry collapsed and I worked for a year at an FBO at an airport in metro Atlanta. I then went to law school, became a lawyer and worked as Chief Compliance Officer and analyst with a registered investment adviser. Got tired of that, so I went to nursing school and am now an ED/ICU RN.

Marine Diesel Mechanic.

Have a M3P and didn't have to particularly "save" for it - I drive 25-30K miles a year commuting, ran a cost analysis report and found this car was cheaper than a $40K sedan that got 27MPG over 5 years.

I have enough experience repairing and maintaining engines/equipment/vehicles/vessels don't need more practice on the daily driver.

I owned a sales agency in the commercial/industrial electrical industry. I started in the warehouse. 39 years later, I sold it and became a hay/horse farmer. In the new job, the pay sucks;), I work longer hours than when I had 30 people employed, and I enjoy it FAR more than corporate life.

Liver Chestnut? That's how I met my wife in '79

Liver Chestnut? That's how I met my wife in '79
LOL:)

My car is named Chestnut Mare. My wife's horse was a Selle Francais liver chestnut mare, however, I bought it for her on our 25th anniversary. But your comment "made me look".
My avatar is my daughter on a dark bay warmblood gelding.

PS: Chestnut mares do live up to their reputation of being feisty and *unpredictable*

Financial advisor during the day, creator of adventures, happenstance encounters, unsavory events, fulfillment of excitement and moments that shall just remain legend by night.

The first part is true, but I have 3 kids in school so the second half remains mostly unfulfilled at this moment...

• Funny