Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your real range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1C11AAB1-BA1D-4BF4-BB33-C7F6BC491EB5.png
A11D32B4-4810-418B-9EF4-BEEFDFDDEAC4.png

Attachments

• A14A3AC4-976E-494D-AACB-FEC18F250785.png
    A14A3AC4-976E-494D-AACB-FEC18F250785.png
    698.5 KB · Views: 42
All vehicles are inefficient when they first start, until everything warms up. So, you can’t compare a single 200-300 mile drive to multiple short trips.

If you really want to know how far it will go, charge to 100% and then drive continuously until you’re under 10% (5% if you’re brave). That range will vary by driving style, outside temp, and HVAC usage, but will give you a realistic benchmark.

If you really want to know how far it will go, charge to 100% and then drive continuously until you’re under 10% (5% if you’re brave).
I understand this but i don't care about this range i nad such drives a few times a year. Now when people ask me what is my range i answer its around 120 miles. If knew that before i bought a tesla i probably wouldn't have bought it. Because i dont live in a house and i cant charge my car every night.

I understand this but i don't care about this range i nad such drives a few times a year. Now when people ask me what is my range i answer its around 120 miles. If knew that before i bought a tesla i probably wouldn't have bought it. Because i dont live in a house and i cant charge my car every night.

Here are my recommended settings to maximize range while driving:

1. Keep your aero caps on and make sure they're firmly attached. These can increase your range by about 5%. Make sure your tires are properly inflated to 41 PSI while cold.

2. Set regeneration to Standard instead of low. It will take a while to get used to it, but learning to drive with regen is part of the joy of an EV.

3. Set your driving mode to hold. This strengthens regen more, and lets you try driving with just the accelerator pedal (one pedal driving). The less you can touch the brakes, the more energy you'll save.

4. Chill mode. I know most people hate this, but it's still pretty peppy in chill mode. Nothing kills range more than unnecessary sprints.

5. Set your Autopilot speed to "relative" and set it for 5 MPH over the speed limit. Second to acceleration, range drops off with speed. Use autopilot at a set speed to minimize unnecessary fluctuations in speed and maximize regen on downward slopes.

6. If necessary, turn off the heat and use the seat heater. My tests have shown this can save about 60 wh/mi.

In terms of minimizing phantom drain between drives:

1. Turn off sentry mode if you're parked in a safe-enough part of town. Sentry mode keeps your vehicle awake which drains the battery while you're parked.

2. Don't use third party apps like TeslaFi. Same reasons as above. Every time they query the vehicle for data it wakes it up.

3. Don't constantly check your Tesla App, as this also wakes the vehicle.

The Model 3 SR+ is the most efficient EV in the entire world, and has a bigger battery than 90% of non-Tesla vehicles. If you follow my advice, you should achieve the rated range easily.

Reactions: Gondi63
Your Wh/mi is very high. For an SR+, you need to be getting about 210 Wh/mi to get the range out of it as advertised. And your two screen shots from TesalFi are both over that - one is 320 Wh/mi.

Do you drive it hard? Are you using sentry mode (which will drain about 1 mi / hr it's on).

Reactions: Gasaraki
Your Wh/mi is very high. For an SR+, you need to be getting about 210 Wh/mi to get the range out of it as advertised. And your two screen shots from TesalFi are both over that - one is 320 Wh/mi.

Do you drive it hard? Are you using sentry mode (which will drain about 1 mi / hr it's on).

This OP has already said "I didnt buy a tesla to drive in chill mode" but is also complaining about "only getting 120 miles on a charge" . So, the TL ; DR version is, "I want to drive it like I stole it because its fun, but feel I should get the rated range when I do so".

I think it takes real dedication to own a plug in BEV without either home charging or a secure place to charge it at work. If someone asked me "should I buy a tesla, I cant charge at home though", I would say "No, you shouldnt, unless you are dedicated and have some reason to do so that does not involve convenience".

There are plenty of examples of people here who dont have home charging and are perfectly happy, but its not something I would RECOMMEND to anyone.

With that being said, I find someone saying " I didnt buy a tesla to drive in chill mode" simultaneously with "Why dont I get more range" to somewhat strange.

I can really only comment on trip range in my P3D with 20inch tires. Where the trip is between Everett, WA and Portland OR.

With a charge of 100% I can safely go 200 miles without slowing down too much (this is assuming 70-80mph), and still arriving at 10% or better. This is assuming normal 40-50F weather without rain.

With a charge of 90% I likely can't do that except in the Summer. Or if I'm really careful with speed to try to make sure to arrive at 10%.

So I'd claim that my P3D has a range of 225-250 miles depending on speed.

My commute is interstate travel speeds 70+mph, and my lifetime average is 249 Wh/mi. I live in Atlanta - summer was in the 210-230 Wh/mi and winter has been 250+ Wh/mi. 13,000 miles so far.

My SR+ is currently showing around 48,500 Wh of capacity - (average consumption X projected range) / (battery percentage / 100). 80% of this 38,800 Wh. In one shot, that’s about 150 miles of range, and that sounds with my experience on long trips so far.

OP, multiple trips and having the other power draining features on (sentry, standby summon, cannon over temp) will drain the battery while parked and not register in the kWh totals in the car.

But with your data, it almost seems like you’re doing a lot of very fast driving or sitting in traffic with AC set at LO a ton.

300 Wh/mi in warm climates is actually very hard to do in a SR+. But you’re our guy!

dunno, i always thought i was a good driver... it makes me feel sad that people are actually managing 220s.. i’m going to have to work on it. It is 50f here.

50s is actually "cold" as it relates to the battery. You will likely get much better wh/mi this spring, moving into the summer. I have said this in a few threads, but my wh/mi varies as much as 70 wh/mi difference in the time period of nov - march vs late march - october, doing the exact same commute, in the exact same time of day (commute to work, which I have done every day from this specific location since 2013).

Point being, I know the drive, its the exact same drive, I drive it the exact same way, every morning and evening. In my model 3P, from march - october my wh/mi is 260 ish. from Late november - Febuary its 310-330 depending on whether its raining or not.... and I am commuting in San Diego, which most know is one of the most "temperate" locations in the US. I also specifically dress warmer, dont use the AC and only use seat warmers in our "winter" and still have these differences. I also have regen dots for my battery being "cold" every morning, and park in a drywalled garage with insulated garage doors, that never goes below 50.

All that to say, for this OP specifically, since he cant charge at home, its unlikely he is parking in a garage. Hes probably using Sentry mode (most people who park outside would want to use that). Hes stated " I didnt buy a tesla to drive in chill mode". Since the car is parked outside, there is almost assuredly a need to warm it up, with the car needing to warm the battery even if the heating is turned down in the car.

OP makes many short drives (18 drives to drive down range!). Op uses Teslafi (third party monitoring).

Put all that together and there is an absolute explanation for OPs "range issue" which is basically almost all self inflicted, except for the weather.

@qdeathstar your issue is likely weather related, and you will likely see better wh/mi results when the weather warms up to the 70s.

With that being said, I find someone saying " I didnt buy a tesla to drive in chill mode" simultaneously with "Why dont I get more range" to somewhat strange.
I don’t understand what’s wrong so I want to drive at standard acceleration and have better efficiency. Its not even called sport or something like that It is called STANDART.
My commute is 15 minutes drive with no traffic and no highway. I dont drive fast and dont accelerate that often. I dont use sentry mode and overheat protection my car falls asleep in about an hour. I parki a garage in my building i dont use the heat often.
This is my lifetime stats:
Capture.JPG

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
No one without home charging should be running sentry or teslafi.
Chlll mode is not necessary at all - at least in an S. I don't drive our 3 around town enough to know if it is a significant difference. Not sure why it would be.
Most people get in trouble by hitting the brakes. That kills efficiency. Also modulating the throttle too much and getting into regen regularly when constant speed is your goal. Like going from 35 to 30 then 35 and invoking regen over and over.
Your overall energy consumption in Miami at such low speeds (and reported driving style) is horrible.
And I am sorry - Miami is Miami. There is not a warmer (ie less cold in winter) and more humid place (of significant size) in the US. Humdity helps for efficiency. Warmer nights help a lot.
The winter low in San Diego is around 50. The winter low in Miami is 65. That is a large difference and throw in the humidity also. Now how stable are San Diego tire pressures vs Miami in the winter?
Miami is very unique when it comes to avoiding low temps. Most humans probably prefer a winter low of 50 but for car efficiency, Miami can't be beat.

I don’t understand what’s wrong so I want to drive at standard acceleration and have better efficiency. Its not even called sport or something like that It is called STANDART.
My commute is 15 minutes drive with no traffic and no highway. I dont drive fast and dont accelerate that often. I dont use sentry mode and overheat protection my car falls asleep in about an hour. I parki a garage in my building i dont use the heat often.
This is my lifetime stats:
View attachment 519376
what is your regen setting?

Also, don't go by TeslaFi for your Wh/mi. Use the Odometer card in the car. TeslaFi esitmates the Wh you used based on batt % at the start/end of a drive and the "expected" batt capacity, etc. - the car does not report Wh to TeslaFi.

Went for a drive today, around 58 miles. about 20 miles of it was highway driving around 60-65mph, about 20 miles of it was city driving and about 20 miles of it was back country roads. So my average speed was low around 30 mph or so. This was one trip so no idle sitting when parked, sentry mode etc. The weather was sunny and temps around 62F. No high winds. I wasn't driving like I stole it but I wasn't hypermiling either. I was just driving how I would drive normally. I am driving a stealth Performance with 19 inch wheels and as you can see its not too hard to get low consumption numbers. I have started the drive with 88% state of charge and drove 57 miles using 17%. So that makes around 3.36 miles per 1%
IMG_20200308_181124.jpg