Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your "Top 5 List" (or Top 10 List) for new SC Locations?

What is your top 3 choices out of my list?

• Hickory, NC

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Beckley, WV

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Columbia, SC

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Florence, SC

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Birmingham, AL

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Johnson City, TN

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Decatur/Athens, AL

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Jackson, TN

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Tupelo, MS

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Memphis, TN

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comment on where you live and fire away:

I live in Charlotte, NC. As of 7/31/2016

1. Hickory, NC
2. Beckley, WV
3. Columbia, SC
4. Florence, SC
5. Birmingham, AL
6. Johnson City, TN
7. Decatur/Athens, AL
8. Jackson, TN
9. Tupelo, MS
10. Memphis, TN

What's yours?

None of the above except Glasgow.

Complete the LONG overdue Great Supercharger Wasteland along I-10 between Tucson and San Antonio so that there is a FIRST transcontinental route that does not require snow tires or chains year-round. Forecast since 2014, this stretch has received NO LOVE and remains O-fer. As in 0-8 in 2014, 2015, and 2016. Even heading south from Albuquerque to El Paso (not a recommendation) so as to split the difference east and west would represent progress.

Benson, AZ
Deming, NM
El Paso, TX
Van Horn, TX

And that's just half of the 8 or so that are needed.

As it stands today, we have to detour HUNDREDS OF MILES into TORNADO country and the high desert with BLACK ICE instead of simply using the route that was built half a century ago to avoid silliness and danger like that.

Neverminding that Tucson is a city of 1 million plus (greater metro area) and that there is plenty of commerce, military traffic and tourist traffic through southern Arizona into Texas alone. Or tons of travelers from Florida into Texas who as it stands today have to hang a hard right near Baton Rouge.

Suffice it to say that 100 SCs from now, things may look better. However, at this rate, the road to Alaska will be lit up before I-10, and that's almost as divergent from reality as lighting up eastern Canada before I-10.

Reactions: GSP
My "selfish" list, based on a road trip I just did:
Cambridge, OH
Duncansville, PA: US-22/I-99
Bellefonte, PA: I-80/I-99
Scranton, PA: I-81/I-84

A more objective list, in no particular order:
Cambridge, OH: my Volt road trip suggested that Cambridge is really necessary.

Looking at the WV hole, I think that while on the surface it appears that Charleston, WV is an obvious location, looking at distances suggests that for winter travel you'd need others between Charleston and anywhere. So instead they could do places around it and that might cover almost all traffic Dayton to Charleston would need some diversion or a site around):
Ceredo, WV
Beckley, WV
Ripley, WV
Flatwoods, WV
Morgantown, PA.

How about:
Benson, AZ
Lordsburg, NM
Las Cruces, NM
San Antonio, NM

Connects Tucson, AZ to El Paso, TX, and El Paso, TX to Albuquerque, NM, leaving "only" 600 miles to go to connect Las Cruces, NM to San Antonio, TX and complete I-10.

Last edited:
Let's see. As for the poll, none of those is important. At all. You can't drive across Canada. Canada has the fewest number of Superchargers per number of cars of anywhere in the world of Tesla. We're treated with scarcely concealed contempt.

1) Medicine Hat, AB
2) Swift Current, SK
3) Moose Jaw, SK
4) Regina, SK (home town of Elon Musk's mother)
5) Saskatoon, SK
6) Whitewood, SK
7) Brandon, MB
8) Winnipeg, MB
9) Falcon Lake, MB
10) Dryden, ON
11) Thunder Bay, ON
12) Prince Albert, SK (for TMC member Mayhemm)

I don't know the Maritimes enough to make a list out East.

This is a very Midsouth-based poll, but I don't believe it is in the southeast or central areas of this website. It would appear that it should be.

I am in the Midsouth (Memphis, TN). Of your options, my priorities are Birmingham, Al > Tupelo, MS > Meridian, MS. The only one I am actually waiting for is Birmingham, AL. Then somewhere (anywhere!) in Arkansas. Then I-10 ;) as it is about time for Tesla to complete a southern route across the country.

I can't help but wonder if there's a technological problem with I-10. Just too hot, or dusty, or too much copper theft down there? Or just too much distance with too few travelers?

Reactions: Drucifer
While I don't know Drucifer's area in the SE (haven't been there since 1970), I will agree with TaoJones that it would be helpful to finish off the I-10 corridor from Tucson to middle Texas, not that I would ever have need of it.

My own personal list is fairly low priority by national standards:

1) Kayenta AZ (Opens up US 160 as a direct route from the Four Corners area to Flagstaff and cuts miles and time off the roundabout I-40 route via Gallup NM and Holbrook AZ.)
2) Jackson WY (Currently in permit status; opens up Grand Teton NP and allows for one way driving across Yellowstone NP from West Yellowstone MT south to Jackson, or vice versa.)
3) Salida CO (Opens up the middle part of the state, including Great Sand Dunes NP, and allows for an alternate route to I-70 when rock slides close Glenwood Canyon.)
4) Hanksville UT or Torrey UT (Either would open up Capitol Reef NP but Hanksville would also open up Utah SH 95, a scenic, remote highway from Blanding UT to I-70 through completely undeveloped red rocks country — if you like towns, cities, suburbia or tourist traps this is NOT the road for you. Bring your own water.)

Last edited:
My tops would be:

1) Charleston, WV (still on Tesla's 2016 "prediction" map..... do they ever remove them from that map to show it's no longer predicted to happen?). This would say 3 hrs on trip from Central Virginia to St. Louis, by filling the hole between Lexington, VA and Lexington, KY. Without it, the route is forced up north to Pennsylvania. Crazy.

2) Outer Banks, NC. There's one 90 miles west of Nags Head, NC in Plymouth, NC. But the Outer Banks is a crowded vacation destination and, depending on how much you'd drive around during your visit, it wouldn't be advisable to have the nearest Supercharger westbound be 90 miles away.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
Comment on where you live and fire away:

I live in Charlotte, NC. As of 7/31/2016

1. Hickory, NC
2. Beckley, WV
3. Columbia, SC
4. Florence, SC
5. Birmingham, AL
6. Johnson City, TN
7. Decatur/Athens, AL
8. Jackson, TN
9. Tupelo, MS
10. Memphis, TN

What's yours?

I would rather see routes without Superchargers be enabled before spacing them less than about 140 miles apart.

Birmingham and Memphis would enable supercharged routes. I voted for those.

After that Charlston, WV; Evansville, IN; and Mackaniw City, MI. As Tao Jones points out, the I-10 route would be huge. Also as S'toon points out, Canada has many routes needing attention. I would like to see the entire trans-national highway, Sudbury, and Sault Ste Marie.

GSP

A lot of great answers and interaction here.

I did this as a "personal" thing. If I were to have done this as a "what is most important for the network" thing, I would have put finishing I-80/I-90 from NYC to Chicago at the top, followed by I-20 Dallas to Atlanta, I-55 St. Louis to NOLA, and I-40 OKC to Nashville, and even those have a regional bias toward the south, since that is what I know.

But I figured it would be more fun to see the regional choices people would pick depending on where they lived/worked/vacationed.

One thing I got out of this: BIRMINGHAM!!!!

2) Outer Banks, NC. There's one 90 miles west of Nags Head, NC in Plymouth, NC. But the Outer Banks is a crowded vacation destination and, depending on how much you'd drive around during your visit, it wouldn't be advisable to have the nearest Supercharger westbound be 90 miles away.

While a Supercharger in the Outer Banks would certainly be convenient, there are lots of places across the country that should be much higher priority. The primary reason is that the Outer Banks is a vacation destination, not a transit point.

If you're renting a house or cottage for a week or even just a long weekend, you can just charge using a 5-15 outlet where you are staying. Your car will likely be parked there for 18 hours or more each day. That'll give you 54 miles of range each day you are there, plenty to cover any daily driving and build up a base charge for your return trip through a Supercharger (Plymouth, Norfolk, or Warsaw depending on your direction of travel)

If you're staying at a condo or hotel, those are perfect candidates for destination chargers. although some may have accessible 5-15 outlets.

PlugShare shows a number of public EV stations in the Outer Banks.

Since you are asking about regional ones, there are a couple of pretty frequently traveled routes near Boise where I live that could be helped significantly with just one Supercharger. Driving from Boise to Bend Oregon is a pretty frequent trip for a lot of people around here. The direct route is 318 miles, but it's over the mountains in Eastern Oregon, so it uses up a bit extra. One Supercharger in Eastern Oregon on highway 20 (preferable) or 26 would do wonders here. The alternate Supercharger route loops up from Boise to The Dalles and then down to Bend, and it's 477 miles!

The other one near here is on the route from San Francisco to Boise. Most people go from the Bay Area to Winnemucca Nevada and then go up highway 95. I have heard of someone who did Winnemucca to Boise in one shot without charging at slow speed in good weather and arrived with 9 miles left, but that's nerves of steel territory and can't be done going South because of elevation gain.

Both of these two routes have high amp J1772 stations available for now, so they're not terrible if you have dual chargers, but for those of us without, the multi-hour charging stops are not great.

But I will gladly defer to I-10 and I-80 being higher priorities nationally.

The Paducah, Ky. area (I-24 - Hwy 60 or 62) would be a great S C location for travel between Nashville and St. Louis. With Mt Vernon permit, and Minor, Mo. open should offer an alternate route. I have driven Atlanta to Kansas City twice in my S 60, for a very slow trip. The Rola, Mo. Site is under construction, and might allow Nashville, Paducah, Minor, Rola, Columbia, Kansas City.