Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What it cost me to charge my Model 3 per month in Illinois.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are curious what it costs to charge a M3, it costs me about $30/mo in electric costs here in Illinois. My car is 25 months old and we drive about 910 miles per month based on the odometer reading.

My average cost for electricity is 6.62c / kWh over the last 12 months under ComEd's Hourly pricing plan. We pretty much use the car, come home, plug it in and charge it at night.

If you compare that to the A6 i replaced, it costs my about $84 to fill that car up at today's premium gas prices.

Pretty happy with that.

1643478750658.png

Yeah 7 cents is about half of the national average but the OP also seems to get significant gas subsidies.
910 miles at a very optimistic 29mpg would be 31 gallons of premium at $2.70/gal.

Bargains aside, OP's point still holds true for most of us as the cost to run an EV generally tends to be 1/3 or 1/4 that of a fossil car.

Yeah, our CA registration fees are $50/month higher for the Model 3 than the fossil Lexus. Kinda negating much of the energy savings, although only $8.50/month of that is actually a direct EV tax. Here's my 2022 registration renewal fee breakdown:

$62.00 Current Registration (base fee)
$29.00 Current California Highway Patrol
$341.00 Current Vehicle License Fee (0.65% of the car's perceived $52,400 estimated current value)
$1.00 Current County Service Authority For Freeway Emergencies Fee
$1.00 Current Fingerprint ID Fee
$1.00 Current Auto Theft And/Or DUI Crime Deterrence Program
$6.00 Current Air Quality Management District
$3.00 Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee (applies to all cars, fossil or otherwise)
$102.00 Road Improvement Fee (flat fee for any car built after 2019 that "doesn't directly produce significant air pollution")
$168.00 Current Transportation Improvement Fee (flat fee based on car value being between $35K - $60K)

Last edited:
If you are curious what it costs to charge a M3, it costs me about $30/mo in electric costs here in Illinois. My car is 25 months old and we drive about 910 miles per month based on the odometer reading.

My average cost for electricity is 6.62c / kWh over the last 12 months under ComEd's Hourly pricing plan. We pretty much use the car, come home, plug it in and charge it at night.
I am also in Illinois. I picked up my RWD a couple of weeks ago (yay!). My apartment building will allow me to charge in the garage on a 110V, albeit at a higher price than you are paying per KWh--I don't think their facility plan is hourly.

I use Arcadia for my apartment's electricity usage. For around $5 a month extra, it guarantees that my power comes from wind and solar. Well, technically, it forces ComEd to buy power from a wind or solar farm if those farms are generating power, guaranteeing the farms can sell power to the grid. I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks a month to make my power cleaner -- Illinois' power mix is not very green, alas. I should add that the $5 a month extra is reduced as time goes by because of solar savings. On my last bill, I paid just $1.25 extra for Arcadia.

(Of course, feel free to use my referral code ;) : Arcadia | Join me at Arcadia )

If you compare that to the A6 i replaced, it costs my about $84 to fill that car up at today's premium gas prices.

Pretty happy with that.

View attachment 761776
Are you including "transport" costs for your electricity? My electric supply is also under 7c, but my transport cost is also 7c, so 14c total.

Reactions: Dogeftw
I'm on Comed's Hourly pricing as well, and I do not see how you're paying 0.06... You need to include the supply and delivery costs, which tpyically averages out between 0.10 to 0.13 per kWh.

Last month (12/6 to 1/7) I used 2281 kWh (2x Tesla's use lots of juice)
Supply: $125.45
Delivery: $106.26
Total: $267.16 OR $0.12 per kWh.

The Capacity Charge under the Supply charges is what really frustrates me...

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I'm on Comed's Hourly pricing as well, and I do not see how you're paying 0.06... You need to include the supply and delivery costs, which tpyically averages out between 0.10 to 0.13 per kWh.

Last month (12/6 to 1/7) I used 2281 kWh (2x Tesla's use lots of juice)
Supply: $125.45
Delivery: $106.26
Total: $267.16 OR $0.12 per kWh.

The Capacity Charge under the Supply charges is what really frustrates me...

That's fair and you are probably correct. My stats from one M3 is I used 565 kWh during the month of January. So, about .12. My graph above does say supply charge. I get what you are saying and I was referencing the fact that with supply charge and an average rate of around .6, 12-13 sounds right.