Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What items would you take on a long road trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be taking my MYLR on a 1,500 mile (each way) road trip come the beginning of May.
For those that have done long road trips, I'm wondering what items you would pack that you found to be necessary, or just ones that made the trip a lot nicer.

I'm hoping that this thread will be useful to not only myself but to anyone planing a long trip. Thank you in advance for your help.
150,000 miles of road trips and I've never taken anything. Relax and enjoy. (Though I did stay in the car on first road trip. Why? Because I could).;)

Last edited:
I will be taking my MYLR on a 1,500 mile (each way) road trip come the beginning of May.
For those that have done long road trips, I'm wondering what items you would pack that you found to be necessary, or just ones that made the trip a lot nicer.

I'm hoping that this thread will be useful to not only myself but to anyone planing a long trip. Thank you in advance for your help.
The wife (maybe.)

• Funny
Reactions: X-pilot
I did forget to mention the J1772 adapter in my two card list of necessities above, I do also have a small towel and glass cleaning towelettes, a flashlight, a jacket and a CHAdeMO adapter in the car at all times, so I should have mentioned them.

Oh, I have a large straw in the glovebox for when I buy a milkshake and it's too thick to drink thru their tiny straws, but all this talk of bringing tire patch kits and squeegees and trash bags? Road flares and first aid kits? And really? An AUDIOBOOK? The car has tons of entertainment and connectivity, and no one mentioned a phone! I assume some things are given, so like a few of us have said, just get in your car and drive (with AAA) and enjoy. Don't waste your time with such nonsense.

oh, and don't bring the wife, meet her at the destination.

Having tools such as a squeegee and glass spray cleaner to keep the windshield and camera lenses clear is more of a safety consideration than a nice to have. It is not fun when Autopilot disengages due to a blocked camera.

Having a tire plug kit can make the difference between a slight travel delay and losing hours waiting for a tow vehicle to arrive.

• Helpful
Reactions: DrGriz and X-pilot
Waiting 30 minutes for AAA or Tesla Roadside assistance is one thing but waiting hours while stranded is too long when a plug kit could quickly get you back on the road. Repairing a tire on the side of the road can be dangerous but your vehicle can be hit by another vehicle while parked on the shoulder. It is safest to wait outside the vehicle away from the road.

Having to stop at a service station to use a squeegee in addition to stopping at a Supercharger just adds to your travel time. There is plenty of time to clean the windshield while charging if you have the cleaning supplies on hand.

I did forget to mention the J1772 adapter in my two card list of necessities above, I do also have a small towel and glass cleaning towelettes, a flashlight, a jacket and a CHAdeMO adapter in the car at all times, so I should have mentioned them.

Oh, I have a large straw in the glovebox for when I buy a milkshake and it's too thick to drink thru their tiny straws, but all this talk of bringing tire patch kits and squeegees and trash bags? Road flares and first aid kits? And really? An AUDIOBOOK? The car has tons of entertainment and connectivity, and no one mentioned a phone! I assume some things are given, so like a few of us have said, just get in your car and drive (with AAA) and enjoy. Don't waste your time with such nonsense.

oh, and don't bring the wife, meet her at the destination.
Really depends where you're driving. You don't always get cell signal in WV and I'd much prefer getting back on the road ASAP.

If you're driving through populated areas, it's not an issue, but 1000mi through middle America? I'd prefer not to roll the dice

Reactions: DrGriz and ucmndd
I have waited hours for a tow truck, (only have had two flats in almost 60 years) but I am not gonna patch a leak on the side of the highway. I pay AAA good money to keep me safe. And every gas station in America has a squeegee raring to go, just cause I drive electric don't mean I don't use the facilities provided.

Options are good. Plug kits and a compressor are cheap and take up almost no space. I prefer to not be dependent on others when I don’t have to be. Your point about not compromising safety is well taken, but I’ve never had a situation where I couldn’t limp the car to a safe place to do what I needed to do.

The other way to handle that I suppose would be to get a compact spare tire kit.
Something like this: www.modernspare.com
I have one for my MY. They are not compact. I don't keep it in the car. I have it soley for trips due to its size. I is a bit narrower, but the same diameter. To stand it up behind the rear seat without rubbing the roof lining I have to take the floor piece out.

I wish you guys would stop using the phrase 'My MY'. It's confusing. Let's just own up to the fact that MS and MX doesn't work for the cheaper cars and call them TM3 and TMY, 'cause there already is a BMW M3 out there and MY is just a word, not a designation.

Although I can see why Elon was trying to use Model E, back in the day. The Tesla ME and the Tesla MY, perfect cars for the narcissist.

Why stop? The fact that you are complaining without asking suggests you understood. That the post communicated just fine.

Using M3, MS, MY, MX is concise, succinct, and generally understood.

This is after all a Tesla website and not likely to confuse people. I would advise people to use BMW M3 if they want readers on this forum to understand the post is about some other car. As for MY, it is capitalized, therefore a title/designation and not a personal pronoun.

So what part confused you?

1. Take pictures of your car and your destinations.

2. Create a thread featuring pictures of your car and destinations, and share any do’s and don’t s you discover along the way.

3. Include a link to the thread in your signature line so people can discover the thread.

4. DM me a link to the thread so I’ll be sure not to miss it.

5. Have fun! (You can move this to number 1, or just delete it. Having fun on a road trip in any Tesla is kinda a sure thing!)

Reactions: theocguy
I have waited hours for a tow truck
Genuinely sorry about that.
I am not gonna patch a leak on the side of the highway. I pay AAA good money to keep me safe.
To my knowledge, AAA will only change a flat tire or tow you somewhere…they don’t patch a tire onsite. This makes either having a spare tire more important to use their services, or end up buying a new tire at whatever dealer/gas station you get towed to with however long that takes. For me, I’ll use AAA for local help but on the road without a spare, I’m far more comfortable minimizing time loss and doing a plug.

a gas powered generator to charge the car :) lol

i'm sure you will be fine. just plan out your stops. its best to estimate a rage around 175 - 200 from one stop to the next when doing 80% charge. Also better to charge at lower states 10% - 80% rather than 50 - 90% (will save you some time).

variables are wind, temperatures so keep that in mind and adjust SOC based on this and what the display says.
Anything wrong with charging my new MYP to 100% a few hours before my 400 mile trip to AZ from OC Cal ?