Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@alexGS ...How the Tesla 3 Performance goin?....
any green envy without your previous Lambo Gallardo?

The Model 3 seems to get just as much attention/recognition from young people.
I’ve covered as many kilometres in two months as I did in a year with the Gallardo.

More acceleration is available in the Model 3 for overtaking or climbing hills, because there’s no need to wind the engine up first. Fewer shakes and rattles. Wind noise is less. Feels a much lighter car (the Gallardo was 1736kg).

Even though the cars were the same value, the Model 3 is less fragile, fewer stone chips, seats don’t mark, grilles and lights etc. don’t fall off, can get in and out of driveways without grounding, much tighter turning circle, no need for the engine to warm up/idle speed to drop before getting a smooth gearshift. So, faster to get away, no need to stop for fuel. Get there much faster in the Model 3. Make a lot less noise leaving or arriving home.

Much better stereo in the Model 3, no need to put music on SD card, has navigation. Can give your friends a ride too. More space for luggage.

The paint job on the Gallardo was better - less orange peel, the door jambs were painted.

The wheels on the Model 3 stay very clean because the brakes are hardly ever used. The Gallardo’s wheels needed cleaning after every drive.

The biggest surprise was that the steering feel of the Model 3 (which I leave in Sport mode) is similar to the Gallardo. The driving experience doesn’t miss anything (I much prefer driving the Model 3, it’s more refined in every way, feels like Tesla has been making cars far longer than Lamborghini) but the appearance when parked up is more generic, the shape of the Model 3 misses out on the drama of the Gallardo. Model 3 looks more like a Porsche.

-Alex

Attachments

• 7AA71EA6-2C65-400F-973E-9615171B78F3.jpeg
    7AA71EA6-2C65-400F-973E-9615171B78F3.jpeg
    519.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 301E6004-7ADF-4A87-9AB1-C0D08501A19F.jpeg
    301E6004-7ADF-4A87-9AB1-C0D08501A19F.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
2016 Chevy Bolt Premier to 2019 LR AWD. My Bolt was rear ended back in February, and the insurance company declared it a total loss the same day as Tesla announced price cuts. With Chevy not discounting as madly just then, an SR+ was the same price but so much more car - but the performance of the AWD (test drove a P3D) made me pay more :)

Moved from a 2013 Mercedes C350 - which actually we ended up still keeping when picking up a Model 3 Performance in Sept ‘19. The Merc is incredibly well put together, but the Tesla just trumps it in the tech and effortless performance.

Have to admit priority for buying M3P wasn’t going green, but the best bang for buck for acceleration and road handling.