TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace???

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mact3333, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:32 PM.

1. manda

manda Member

Technically, it is replacing the 2001 Lexus ES300 that was a daily/beater hand-me-down family car. It was totaled by a drunk elderly neighbor of my mom's who also wiped out 5 other vehicles. The Lexus has some cosmetic body damage but still runs well.

I still have my 2006 Acura TSX. It is still an excellent car and runs so smoothly but the city driving was brutal on fuel efficiency.

2. usafakid09

usafakid09 Member

Kia Niro and Toyota Mirai.

3. RyanF

RyanF Member

2015 Subaru WRX to LR RWD.

After 1 year and 19,000 miles I still don’t miss a manual transmission. Really thought I would.... at least a little.

4. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

I almost bought a Clarity when they first came out. Glad I held off. I'm hoping my M3 gets delivered next week.

Speaking of Android Auto, I'm bummed the M3 doesn't have Android Auto or Apple Carplay (I'm personally in the Apple Ecosystem). I wonder if they'll ever add those in an update.

5. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

From a Cadillac XT5 Platinum

4ADC6576-ABEA-49C4-9E98-2254EF3F9CD4.jpeg 33207D90-CA7C-4CC3-97A9-D6541F2273B3.jpeg

.. to Model 3 LR AWD:
    F38CE256-6AD8-4FC5-B394-AE5C6E186788.jpeg
    CD59C3D8-2582-4F92-9FCA-0D14B0D69C72.jpeg

It’s a downsize for sure ... gave up cargo room, and believe it or not, some tech features. If I could combine the XT5 with the Tesla drivetrain and Autopilot - it would be one pretty bada()() SUV ....

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. maxpower2078

maxpower2078 Member

Yes, this is one of my only complaints about Tesla. I know it is essentially a competitor so why would they put it in but build some of the same functionality out in your ecosystem. Phone connectivity is lacking, it's like I'm in my 2012 Honda from that perspective.

• Like x 1
  7. N54TT

N54TT Member

• Like x 1
  8. maxpower2078

maxpower2078 Member

I personally don't think they will as I think they see it as a competitor since it takes the whole screen. I suppose they could dedicate a section of the screen to it but doubt it. I miss it too.

I just hope they build out similar functionality like being able to send and respond to texts via voice and well all the other features I can't do now but use to on AA

9. P99GUY

P99GUY New Member

2017 Bolt EV Premier. Even with 238 miles of range it was not possible to travel normally due to the non-existent charging infrastructure.
    Yes I miss some tech, 360/Birdseye view, rear view mirror display and Siri!
    Other than that the 3 is fantastic!

10. ksoon

ksoon Member

2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (purchased used in '09 — it was a fun ride for 10 years)

DSC02728.JPG

11. Austindude

Austindude Member

Let us know what you think of the Model 3 P after you drive it for a little bit and how it compares to the Gallardo.

• Like x 2
  12. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

No, still very different. I prefer the XT5's interior, and have a thing about the falcon wing doors on Model X. Don't like them at all.

That said - the features I gave up in the Cadillac ... plus a bunch of things I'm forgetting ...

- Rearview mirror camera (full-time display in the rearview mirror)
    - 360 degree "birds eye" camera
    - Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
    - HUD display
    - HEATED STEERING WHEEL (How I miss thee...)
    - Rear seat temperature controls - let my rear passengers control their own HVAC temperatures
    - Blind spot alerts in the mirrors (Tesla does this with a red line on the display - totally useless when I'm looking AT THE MIRRORS!)
    - Sirius Radio
    - Active noise cancellation for road noise
    - Automatic cornering lights
    - Lane departure/blindspot alerts in the drivers' seat (it rumbles either on the left or right side, depending on where the "threat" is)
    - Rear cross traffic alerts
    - Hands free trunk opening
    - Lighted exterior door handles (can't tell you how cool those look at night)

So, yea, I gave up a bunch of stuff ... many of which aren't in the X, either.

That said, am I happy with the Model 3? More than I could've imagined. But Cadillac is certainly bringing it in the tech game these days.... (and ps - most of those features above are also in my wife's Enclave.... making that a pretty nice ride for what it is too.)

• Like x 1
  13. Evan862

Evan862 New Member

Patiently waiting for my LR AWD after selling my 2006 Silverado that was averaging 12 mpg. The amount of money spent per month on gas for my commute will not be missed!

I still have my 1977 Ford Bronco if I start missing the sound of an engine.

14. ishabazz

ishabazz Member

My prior car was a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. Needless to say, my Model 3 is a GIGANTIC upgrade in every way imaginable.

• Like x 1
  15. Austindude

Austindude Member

OK you have to let us know how that sort of long distance commute, with vampire drain and no charging available while at work turns out. If you can live with that and are not too inconvenienced by it then that really says EV's are here for the masses (where the average US driver has less than a 30 miles commute). Your use case will be a great experiment for all of us in this community to learn from.

16. SpGator

SpGator Member

98 Ford Expedition to M3 SR+ :)

17. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

OK, maybe it doesn't need full Android Auto or Apple Carplay, but s I understand it, it can't even show on screen what you are listening to if you stream music from your phone. Even that would be nice.

18. afty

afty Member

2008 Infiniti G35 Sport 6MT. Bought used in 2011 and owned for 8 years. That was a great car, but my LR AWD Model 3 is a great upgrade.

[​IMG]

19. matt4EV

matt4EV Member

20. ksoon

ksoon Member

#180 ksoon, Jun 13, 2019 at 9:22 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    • Love x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1