Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2007 Carrera coupe sold to Carmax -> 2019 M3 LR RWD
B5F3C5A3-9863-4944-B9AB-5E98BABED8F6.jpeg

Technically, it is replacing the 2001 Lexus ES300 that was a daily/beater hand-me-down family car. It was totaled by a drunk elderly neighbor of my mom's who also wiped out 5 other vehicles. The Lexus has some cosmetic body damage but still runs well.

I still have my 2006 Acura TSX. It is still an excellent car and runs so smoothly but the city driving was brutal on fuel efficiency.

Honda Clarity plugin, it was a great, smooth and quiet car. Model 3 is better in most areas except sound deadening and size. Miss Android auto a little too.
I almost bought a Clarity when they first came out. Glad I held off. I'm hoping my M3 gets delivered next week.

Speaking of Android Auto, I'm bummed the M3 doesn't have Android Auto or Apple Carplay (I'm personally in the Apple Ecosystem). I wonder if they'll ever add those in an update.

Reactions: erik_k
Honda Clarity plugin, it was a great, smooth and quiet car. Model 3 is better in most areas except sound deadening and size. Miss Android auto a little too.
Yes, this is one of my only complaints about Tesla. I know it is essentially a competitor so why would they put it in but build some of the same functionality out in your ecosystem. Phone connectivity is lacking, it's like I'm in my 2012 Honda from that perspective.

Reactions: streetskooler
Reactions: dmurphy
Speaking of Android Auto, I'm bummed the M3 doesn't have Android Auto or Apple Carplay (I'm personally in the Apple Ecosystem). I wonder if they'll ever add those in an update.

I personally don't think they will as I think they see it as a competitor since it takes the whole screen. I suppose they could dedicate a section of the screen to it but doubt it. I miss it too.

I just hope they build out similar functionality like being able to send and respond to texts via voice and well all the other features I can't do now but use to on AA

Sold my modded 6spd 335i and got the p3d+

View attachment 418199 View attachment 418201
Hackster’s Bugatti Veyron must have been a lot more expensive than my green Gallardo. I have mine listed for sale, but it’s winter here (and it’s a convertible) so I’m not holding out much hope of getting the money before my Performance Model 3 becomes available (in August, they say). So I’ll have to sell something else, maybe my Abarth 500 or my Giulietta.

I’m expecting the Model 3 to be a much more pleasant and generally faster-feeling drive than the somewhat sluggish Gallardo, the engine of which must be kept ‘on the boil’ to make good progress.

-Alex
Let us know what you think of the Model 3 P after you drive it for a little bit and how it compares to the Gallardo.

Isn’t that the model X? Lol what features does the caddy have?

No, still very different. I prefer the XT5's interior, and have a thing about the falcon wing doors on Model X. Don't like them at all.

That said - the features I gave up in the Cadillac ... plus a bunch of things I'm forgetting ...

- Rearview mirror camera (full-time display in the rearview mirror)
- 360 degree "birds eye" camera
- Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
- HUD display
- HEATED STEERING WHEEL (How I miss thee...)
- Rear seat temperature controls - let my rear passengers control their own HVAC temperatures
- Blind spot alerts in the mirrors (Tesla does this with a red line on the display - totally useless when I'm looking AT THE MIRRORS!)
- Sirius Radio
- Active noise cancellation for road noise
- Automatic cornering lights
- Lane departure/blindspot alerts in the drivers' seat (it rumbles either on the left or right side, depending on where the "threat" is)
- Rear cross traffic alerts
- Hands free trunk opening
- Lighted exterior door handles (can't tell you how cool those look at night)

So, yea, I gave up a bunch of stuff ... many of which aren't in the X, either.

That said, am I happy with the Model 3? More than I could've imagined. But Cadillac is certainly bringing it in the tech game these days.... (and ps - most of those features above are also in my wife's Enclave.... making that a pretty nice ride for what it is too.)

Reactions: streetskooler
My Model 3 (which we will be ordering August 1) will be replacing a 2018 Honda Accord.

Once per week (I'm an airline pilot) I drive 138 miles to work, take off on a 3 or 4 day trip, then drive 138 miles back home. The drive is all Interstate 15, except for 5 miles. Unfortunately, there isn't an EV charger in the employee parking lot of the airport, so I most likely will have to stop at a Supercharger (in Las Vegas, late at night) for a few minutes before heading home. Regardless of the inconvenience, I really look forward to getting the car.
OK you have to let us know how that sort of long distance commute, with vampire drain and no charging available while at work turns out. If you can live with that and are not too inconvenienced by it then that really says EV's are here for the masses (where the average US driver has less than a 30 miles commute). Your use case will be a great experiment for all of us in this community to learn from.

I personally don't think they will as I think they see it as a competitor since it takes the whole screen. I suppose they could dedicate a section of the screen to it but doubt it. I miss it too.

I just hope they build out similar functionality like being able to send and respond to texts via voice and well all the other features I can't do now but use to on AA
OK, maybe it doesn't need full Android Auto or Apple Carplay, but s I understand it, it can't even show on screen what you are listening to if you stream music from your phone. Even that would be nice.