Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current Model 3, a P3D+, replaced a Model 3 LR RWD.

But, this thread probably means what came before any 3. My car before that was a 2015 Model S P90DL.

In case the thread means what did you switch from before Tesla, my car before that...well, that was still a Tesla. A 2010 Roadster.

OK, going back far enough to get out of Teslas, I had a used 2003 Toyota RAV4-EV.

Going back even farther to get out of EVs, I had a used 2005 Honda Insight (the old 2-seater, with manual transmission - I averaged 62mpg). I had looked for an EV but couldn't find anything available at the time (aside from a Corbin Sparrow, but that only seats one and I still had to drive my kids around).

Before that, I ran a 2000 Golf TDI manual on biodiesel. I had tried to buy a RAV4-EV from California, but the dealer hung up on me.

Before that, I didn't have a car for a few years - I walked/biked/bused/carpooled. (My wife had a car though; we lived in the 'burbs and had kids. But she also went BEV over a decade ago).

I guess I really never have liked burning gas. It has always worked fine for me, but I sure have been having a LOT more fun since I started with the Teslas!

is that RR, Lambo, Bugatti legit or a joke???

@mact3333
this one quote is the joke......

1976 Yugo.........Just kidding! 2015 Lexus is250

These other posts look and fell legit....

@alexGS ...How the Tesla 3 Performance goin?....
any green envy without your previous Lambo Gallardo?
Hackster’s Bugatti Veyron must have been a lot more expensive than my green Gallardo. I have mine listed for sale, but it’s winter here (and it’s a convertible) so I’m not holding out much hope of getting the money before my Performance Model 3 becomes available (in August, they say). So I’ll have to sell something else, maybe my Abarth 500 or my Giulietta.

I’m expecting the Model 3 to be a much more pleasant and generally faster-feeling drive than the somewhat sluggish Gallardo, the engine of which must be kept ‘on the boil’ to make good progress.

-Alex

@imnotdavez ....Whats the verdict living without the RR Evoque?

2016 Range Rover Evoque. Lease expired in April of this year and decided to get the M3 in December because of the full tax credit (though, because of price drops, not knowing to ask for FSD because it wasn't on the website builder, and other things, I probably just could've waited and spent less despite the lower federal tax credit I would've gotten...). Still super happy, as it's my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. The Evoque had held that distinction and it was hard not just leasing a new one, but I'm glad I made the switch.

One? You shoulda gone home with way more M3s for one Bugatti.

@Haxster .....Betcha not gettin outdragged now!
After being embarrassed by getting out-dragged in my Bugatti Veyron by Performance Model 3s, I finally traded it in for one.
:eek:

Reactions: alexGS
2019 SR+ replaced a 2013 Mercedes E350 sport. The M3 has much better performance, more comfortable seats, better suspension tuning about the same interior space. The interior is not as high end or as long lasting (plastics in the Tesla scratch easily), but is more comfortable. I'll just let the Tesla accumulate a bit of wear and order the interior bits that get banged. We have two kids ....

Probably going to get a 6 seat MY as soon as they start building those. Then we will be done with gas forever.

VW performance pack GTI 245 bhp 2018

It was fast BUT only when the turbo was spinning and the 7 speed DSG was in the right gear.

By comparison the M3 is effortless to drive and reliable in its response and actually handles very well along twisty bends. I'm still acclimatising to the shift of paradigm - the M3 is not so much a car (although it is a very good one) but a piece of intelligence on wheels.

2010 Toyota Prius. Was looking at the Prius Prime but wanted to go all electric. I like the Bolt, the Kona is not sold in my state but then your close to Tesla cost. I drove a M3 LR AWD and picked up a Stealth 5 days later. Quite the change from my Prius! Beside the drivetrain the only tech the Prius had was Bluetooth for phone calls.

Sold my 6MT 996 Turbo for a P3D- a few months ago and I don’t regret it one bit!

Attachments

• 49DB6FD9-C182-4AD6-81E6-0D8902BCE1C6.jpeg
    49DB6FD9-C182-4AD6-81E6-0D8902BCE1C6.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: alexGS