Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 7 year's of prying wife's hands of the steering wheel got her a Red X in Dec 2018. In April 2019 I got my P3D+. Sold my X to a friend.
IMG_5289.jpeg
IMG_6527 2.jpeg

Reactions: follow.johnny
:);):):)
The Mazda 3 is always rated as great handling and fun to drive by the car magazines. How does the Model 3 rate in comparison to the Mazda 3 ?
I thought it was a great daily driver. Gas mileage wasn’t terrible, and it was a spirited driver. I will also say, for a smaller car, the Mazda was incredible in snow.

With that said, they are on two different planets. The Model 3 is planted to the road, corners incredibly well, and the torque can never be touched by a 4 cyl. I personally have not owned a car that has come close in fun to drive, to my Model 3.

Ask me in 2-3 years how I feel, when I replace the Model 3 with the Cybertruck!:)

2017 Mazda Miata RF. I loved that car. I had one back in 1999 and came back to the brand in 2017. It feels like driving a rollerskate.

I've had my Model 3 Stealth for a month now and have loved every minute of it. The car is obviously much more powerful than the Miata. The big surprise though is how well it handles. I installed coilovers on the Miata (which was an awesome addition) but the Tesla still feels better in the corners. The combination of steering feel, low center of gravity, and power make it more fun in spite of the 1500 lb weight difference. Very strange.

I think it will be difficult to ever go back to an ICE vehicle.

Reactions: Zcd1
Model 3 is replacing my second BMW i3 sport which I adored. The TM3 is a much better car in almost every aspect but I will miss being able to park anywhere, the model 3 is HUGE. I do miss Apple Carplay and the BMW auto wipers but fingers crossed there will be improvements. I would love some sort of Apple Music integration or something, I don't want to have to decide my entire playlist before I start my drive.

Attachments

• IMG_5580.jpg
    IMG_5580.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
2009 Prius with 225,000 miles. It was economical for a 65 mile daily commute. At about 180,000, the ICE started using using oil. My options were to fix it, ($$$), replace the ICE ($$$$), or keep adding oil ($, but not very eco-friendly). I sold it to a friend who repairs his own cars, where it replaced his wife's old 12 mpg truck. He's tamed the oil usage, so overall the environment wins.

The M3 is lots more fun. My wife was very skeptical until a test ride, then she changed to "you need to replace the Prius".

i am curious cause many prob feel its Prius and Volt/Leaf owners but I have a feeling many sportscar owners switched to the M3.

Please list what car you used to drive or sold to get the model 3 and which model 3 you bought !

I sold my BMW M4 and I’m glad I did... I have awd m3 long range but with many mods already .

For me, the Model 3 I'm purchasing this year (soon) will replace the vehicles I usually drive; hot hatches and a motorcycle. The Model 3 Long Range has speed comparable to a motorcycle if I'm not trying too hard (but faster than most cars) and when it comes to cars I love sporty hot hatches, such as the VW GTI. I had a FIAT 500 Abarth for a while too, and more recently I had a LEAF S but it wasn't sporty enough for me, and not exactly my styling. Range was too low (151 miles approximately).

I haven't had a car in a while because I'm saving money to buy a Model 3, and California has been an ideal state for commuting to L.A. on a motorcycle. I work from home primarily now, so I barely even need the bike. Selling that will go toward my down payment.