Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of car is that? TESLA! Who makes it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many times have you been asked what kind of car you Model S is, respond that "It's a Tesla." The follow-up question makes me grin, because it's so predictable: "Who makes it?" When you hear that and respond with "Tesla!", there is inevitably a puzzled look on their face(s).

Seems people are starting to recognize them. Overheard a discussion amongst four young professionals near my S last night. "mumble mumble.... woah this is one of those new....mumble mumble... just announced...mumble mumble... Supercharger...mumble... around $100k....mumble.... but probably not this one." Think again :)

i've been in eastern europe for a few weeks and have talked about the car a bit, how i miss it sitting in my garage, etc., and the conversations here are a bit more complicated because there is a (formerly) large and well-known czech electronics company called tesla (nikola was serbian after all, born in what is now croatia) and it takes a few minutes to explain that, no, it's a new, american company, based in california (oh! kah-leh-forn-yah, yo, yo, yo..).. they haven't seen any model s's around here, but i keep telling them to keep an eye out... it's coming. :)

800px-Tesla_Radio_vitrage.jpg

I get it all the time. When they do not recognize Tesla, they usually ask again, then there is a pause. . . .Where is it made?, somewhere in Europe? No, it is manufactured right here in California. About then you can see the light bulb turning on, or another Where? California, they bought the old Toyota plant in Fremont. Fremont is between San Jose and Oakland. Now the light bulb really gets bright and I frequently get "could I buy one of these? This is the coolest car I have ever seen! Then I respond, "Yes you can and you will never need to buy gas again."

Some of the assumptions people make about the car are pretty funny.

I had a older kid on a bike taking pictures of my car when I walked up and he said 'What type of amazing car is that? You must be from another country?' I think he was about to say another planet! It was really funny. No, and the car is made in California! take all the pics you want.

Other people were telling me that my car was made somewhere in Montana! um, no.

More and more people realize what it is now. After they ask what it is and I say Tesla they at least usually know about it. Times are changing a lot from 6 months ago!

The third question I have received a few times is, "Is this an Italian car or something"? The best event was when a ~ ten year old kid came out of a store just gawking at my Tesla. He yelled out at his dad who was a few steps ahead of him, "Hey dad, come check out this SUPER car". His father stepped back to study the car and just smiled. The kid brought a big grin to my face with the genuine thrill that he experienced when he first saw the car. They never really asked me about the car....they just stood there in admiration.

This thread is hilarious.

Not really the same but recently I was at an event and somehow Tesla came up in conversation. This guy turns to me and says, "oh yea, they're in all kinds of serious trouble. I saw it on 60 minutes. I don't think they'll last another 6 months." I reacted suddenly and aggressively before I calmed down and realized it's not that serious. I said you're probably thinking of Fisker, Tesla is doing great, and so is my portfolio ;)