Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of car is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They look even more similar if you figure that the parts with company branding on them were removed (incognito).

Also the styling of the air dam evokes the 2.5. See:

roadster25rearwindroof.jpg

Red safety reflectors down low are smart since headlights tend to point downwards.
Too many cars put them up high with the brake light cluster where they don't light up as easily.

TEG how are you so lucky to be the trailing car behind this new mystery car?
I wasn't. I noticed on twitter someone mentioned seeing a Tesla driving around, posted a picture, and so I asked here because I couldn't tell what car it was.
Why haven't any other car sites posted any other pic of this car?
Perhaps because it is unconfirmed what kind of car it is.
Why haven't you posted another pics yourself?
Because I haven't seen any other photos of that car.
Its the "alpha" Model S isn't it?
I guess it could be. I don't know for sure.

I wasn't. I noticed on twitter someone mentioned seeing a Tesla driving around, posted a picture, and so I asked here because I couldn't tell what car it was.

Perhaps because it is unconfirmed what kind of car it is.

Because I haven't seen any other photos of that car.

I guess it could be. I don't know for sure.

TEG, thanks for playing 21 questions with me dude and keep us posted with new information whenever it becomes available.

I remember a Tesla quote that the locked design for the exterior stayed pretty close to the prototype...not sure if this mystery car would be considered close to the prototype or not. Regardless, I bet we can all wait about 12 hours to find out! Hehe.

In TEG's blowup, and maybe it's easier to see on this PC screen, I'm now pretty convinced that they have put electrical tape above and below the light cluster and removed the chrome accent with TESLA on it.

After you mentioned that, I looked closer and that appears to be the case. At least to me it does.

I suppose there are two ways you could look at it:

You could take a prototype car and try to disguise it.

Or you could take another car, and try to make it look like the prototype by taping on prototype body panels.

Still waiting to see if they unveil a driving Model S Alpha in Detroit.

Another from the NAIAS video:
attachment.php?attachmentid=1323&d=1295378598.png

Not the same really. This has the chrome bar covering the back-up lights and other subtle differences.
No gaps or tape like on the "mystery car" either.
Maybe Mystery car was the same vehicle, but at an earlier stage with the body work not quite complete when the photo was taken.

Last edited:
Not the same really. This has the chrome bar covering the back-up lights and other subtle differences.
No gaps or tape like on the "mystery car" either.
Maybe Mystery car was the same vehicle, but at an earlier stage with the body work not quite complete when the photo was taken.

After watching the video, I was left wondering if two cars weren't used, the "prototype" for the rear shots and the "alpha" for the front shots. Notice that the scenes have been cut and are not continuous. I am only speculating, however to my eyes the "mystery car" back end is more in keeping with the alpha front end than is the prototype's back end.

And as you point out TEG, the Mystery car may not have been ready for filming of the video.

To further explain the "back end is more in keeping with the alpha front end than is the prototype's back end": Notice on the mystery car how the lights on the rear lid are distinct from the adjoining lights. This is done both by using a clear lens and sizing the lens smaller so it does not "line up" with the adjoining lens. I believe the mystery car's taillight design better visually connects with the "new" side grill openings now on the alpha front. IMO, the prototype's continuous style taillight dosen't tie-in as well.