Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of changes or improvements do you hope...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been following this thread. Have not tried this yet since I’m away from home for a few weeks but will when I get home. Seems like some encouraging results but it is interesting that MY2020 cars do not have any additional seal in this location.
What about that other post or video about the wind noise on the glass roof? Wedging that thin rubber tube thing along the seam or opening between the glass panels and the perimeter of that said gap?

Nothing significant, but a few items:

1) Improvements for phantom window roll downs. If it's an electrical or software glitch, fix it. If it's user error, maybe redesign the layout and buttons a bit to make it harder to press the window down buttons when getting out of the car.

2) I noticed the washers acted a bit wonky. Someone else mentioned them. I haven't investigated closely yet, but their performance on the road seemed iffy. I thought maybe the washer fluid was low, but based on other comments in this thread, maybe it's the design.

3) I do agree physical wiper controls would be nice. However, I did test on the latest software update, and you can use voice control to turn them on. Might be new with latest update.

4) Would be nice if the rear vents were the type that could be completely blocked, or a control added in the back to turn them off via software. On our last trip, the driver sure had to turn them on and off a lot.

5) Heated steering wheel option. Always wanted one. Never in my life have been able to get one. I've driven far too many days in my life with freezing fingers. Really, my fingers are the only part of my body that I feel needs help being heated. I don't give a rats $$$ about seat heaters; never in my life have I thought my butt was too cold.

6) Longer range battery option. Ideally I'd like to be able to skip every other supercharger station. The nav actually tried to make us do this a lot, but the estimated remaining was under 10% most of the time, and with it being winter, the actual ends up being less than estimated. End result, it was just slightly too tight to risk it. Could really use 350 to 400 miles of range, closer to what the max range S currently gets. This was for a trip between Kansas City and Denver. I think in summer it would be no problem, but when do most road trips tend to occur? Around Thanksgiving and especially Christmas; the cold weather months.

7) ALMOST FORGOT! This one is just a recommended software update. Add the ability to see and add additional superchargers to a navigation route. This would have been really helpful the multiple times we decided we weren't comfortable going to under 10% estimated battery remaining (because an estimate of about 10% generally realistically means 1 or 2% actual).

I think we'll have 350 or more in 2020 or 2021 with whatever upgrades they come up with.

I wonder what the next significant change will be to the model 3. I wonder when the design will be refreshed. I assume the most definite refresh change will be to the chrome trim.

I'd like to see a trunk lid redesign, so water doesn't flow right into it after you open it, when it rained. At the very least the seal should be higher than the rear glass, so it catches and redirects the water flow.

There is a mini spoiler you can install that should be a really easy upgrade. Would you be interested? I can link you.

But I agree. Water tests should be as standard as wind tunnel tests. Maybe they'd have caught this issue.

I got a Performance at the end of last July, just turned 16K. Absolutely enraptured. Quite possibly the fastest thing I've ever been in or on. I commonly go for a six-hour trip just because there's a supercharger out there that I haven't been to.

Through odd and fortuitous circumstance, I got a Dual Motor yesterday, but not a P. Good lord, the feel of the DM on the road is heavenly. Undoubtedly because it has tires instead of rubber bands on the wheels, but it's also much more quiet- much, much more, and I don't think it's only from the tires. I'm more than satisfied with the Performance, but the DM feels far ahead in "luxury", without the onus of a luxury car. Still handles as though haunted.

Maybe it's because they took out the bag hooks and carpet from the froot. Cheap bastards.

Driving on 18 or 19? I did one test and found the 19 to be louder than the 20. But the 18 being most quiet. This was with test cars from a Tesla store in California.

I also heard cars made after June or July have had significant improvement in how they handle noise. How new is your DM? and when did you order your performance?

What about that other post or video about the wind noise on the glass roof? Wedging that thin rubber tube thing along the seam or opening between the glass panels and the perimeter of that said gap?
Already installed the rubber gasket in the roof gap, no effect. Also installed door seals and trunk roof insulation with little if any noticeable noise improvement

My biggest complaint is still the noise. Love the car but at highway speeds the road and wind noise are so high it's hard to talk to the people in the back seat.

Longer range and faster acceleration are always welcome as well
Timeless upgrades indeed. But so is better noise reduction. Shame that a lot of basic cars like a Toyota Corolla seem to deal with all that a lot better. The car may be louder but inside is more quiet at highway speeds. At least on older generation 2019 and earlier model 3s. Hopefully this improves noticeably soon!

Already installed the rubber gasket in the roof gap, no effect. Also installed door seals and trunk roof insulation with little if any noticeable noise improvement

When you knock on the doors, does it sound kind of thin and pretty hollow? If so, sound isolation can do a lot for that, which is exactly the kind of thing that translates road and wind noise into the car.

Look into this at all? This made the biggest difference for me. Luckily I have a mechanic that works at Tesla who is a very good friend of mine and he's helped me install this stuff in the doors and around. I did the installing, technically, but he helped with the removing of door panels but I guess doing that isn't too hard yourself. I just didn't want to risk it but if I didn't have this friend, I'm certain I'd have found another way.

The seals did help me, for the record. But this helped more. What size wheels you on, by the way?

I've driven 19's that were louder than the 20's. I think the road noise and wind noise reduction isn't consistent between model 3s. What year is yours?

When you knock on the doors, does it sound kind of thin and pretty hollow? If so, sound isolation can do a lot for that, which is exactly the kind of thing that translates road and wind noise into the car.

Look into this at all? This made the biggest difference for me. Luckily I have a mechanic that works at Tesla who is a very good friend of mine and he's helped me install this stuff in the doors and around. I did the installing, technically, but he helped with the removing of door panels but I guess doing that isn't too hard yourself. I just didn't want to risk it but if I didn't have this friend, I'm certain I'd have found another way.

The seals did help me, for the record. But this helped more. What size wheels you on, by the way?

I've driven 19's that were louder than the 20's. I think the road noise and wind noise reduction isn't consistent between model 3s. What year is yours?
I have 19’s and run them at lower tire pressure for a softer, quieter ride. I haven’t opened the door panels to add insulation because I primarily hear noise coming from the top of the frameless windows

There is a guy on here that tore his care down to bare metal and installed some sound isolation material on every surface and he said it still didn't make that big of a difference. Sound is tricky. It's resonating through the frame somehow.

Driving on 18 or 19? I did one test and found the 19 to be louder than the 20. But the 18 being most quiet. This was with test cars from a Tesla store in California.

I also heard cars made after June or July have had significant improvement in how they handle noise. How new is your DM? and when did you order your performance?
The new DM is on 18s. It had 3 miles on it. The Performance was stock-on-hand at the end of July. The DM definitely seems to have more sound insulation, but doesn't feel like it's not there.

I know it was a lot of talk about it, but anyway...
I wish that adaptive cruise control was a standard. I have Sep 2018 M3 AWD and to pay $5000 to have it adaptive... I understand that Tesla wanted to push Autopilot, but I do not need it even now. But in 2018 even much cheaper cars had it.

Getting back the silver metallic color.

IMO, silver metallic with the white interior and grey wheels is the best combination.

tesla-model-3-silver-prototype-promo-shot-headlands-jpg.451830

Reactions: sandange