Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of impact has your M3 had on your power bill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have recently changed to a new schedule which is as follows and it working out well:

In Tesla app programmed charging at 11:00 am daily.
Google Home routine connected via Tessie app to charge M, T, W, Th night at 7:00pm when off peak starts
Google Home routine connected via Tessie app to charge daily at 9:00am when solar is producing sufficient energy.

With 2 Model 3s together with 3 solar systems 2x5kw and 1x3kw programmed as above, driving a total of 3,155 in both cars whilst generating an average 48.35kwh per day, my Feb electric bill was $6.00

I have also seen some interesting data from charging 2 Model 3s. in one example; a day consuming 71K off peak when 2 cars were programmed to charge one @ 7:00pm and the other at 2:00 am with a 6:30 departure time

offpeak.gif

Another example is when 2 M3s where programmed to charge 8am and 3:00pm predominantly using solar, just barely charging over the solar capacity

solaronly.gif

Reactions: Hairyman
No off peak where I am just flat rate so average 20-21c per KWH. I usually drive the car to 25% before charging back up to 90% so costs me about $10 per fortnight extra in power. A4 used to cost about $40 in fuel for the same distance.
I think my calcs are right :)

I have recently changed to a new schedule which is as follows and it working out well:

In Tesla app programmed charging at 11:00 am daily.
Google Home routine connected via Tessie app to charge M, T, W, Th night at 7:00pm when off peak starts
Google Home routine connected via Tessie app to charge daily at 9:00am when solar is producing sufficient energy.

With 2 Model 3s together with 3 solar systems 2x5kw and 1x3kw programmed as above, driving a total of 3,155 in both cars whilst generating an average 48.35kwh per day, my Feb electric bill was $6.00

I have also seen some interesting data from charging 2 Model 3s. in one example; a day consuming 71K off peak when 2 cars were programmed to charge one @ 7:00pm and the other at 2:00 am with a 6:30 departure time

View attachment 774767

Another example is when 2 M3s where programmed to charge 8am and 3:00pm predominantly using solar, just barely charging over the solar capacity

View attachment 774768
Your February power bill was $6 less what you would have spent on petrol for the month, so that puts you in energy credit.

No off peak where I am just flat rate so average 20-21c per KWH. I usually drive the car to 25% before charging back up to 90% so costs me about $10 per fortnight extra in power. A4 used to cost about $40 in fuel for the same distance.
I think my calcs are right :)
I charge from solar and around 10 months of the year its from excess solar, so it costs me the 5.5c feed-in-tarrif. Those two winter months I dont generate any excess as it all goes to the batteries, so 25c for those. I also seem to be paying $0 per litre for petrol, oil, and servicing.

I charge from solar and around 10 months of the year its from excess solar, so it costs me the 5.5c feed-in-tarrif. Those two winter months I dont generate any excess as it all goes to the batteries, so 25c for those. I also seem to be paying $0 per litre for petrol, oil, and servicing.
Slightly off topic but connected... Last night we had to fill up my wife's CRV.... $100 for 4-500km range around town. Okay so $1.99/L may eventually come back down but I calculate that as at least a $70 saving kms for kms in the M3, which over the course of the year would add up to about $1200 a year. That's a lot of money to put towards solar and a power wall... let the business case begin!

Reactions: paulp and GilR
Slightly off topic but connected... Last night we had to fill up my wife's CRV.... $100 for 4-500km range around town. Okay so $1.99/L may eventually come back down but I calculate that as at least a $70 saving kms for kms in the M3, which over the course of the year would add up to about $1200 a year. That's a lot of money to put towards solar and a power wall... let the business case begin!
The business case for solar is an absolute no brainer with a very short payback. Batteries not so convincing, but over time they should be especially once FIT is near zero. My batteries do pay back, but its only just before the likley end of their life…but everyone’s circumstance for power consumption are different, so no-one can give you a definitive battery answer, other than yourself.

Reactions: 0CO2 and m4rtin