Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of lifetime (miles) can you expect out of a set of tires on Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Treadwear ratings are pretty meaningless and are manipulated by manufacturers, unfortunately. I had a set of 19" Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 that were treadwear 400 rated, had tire warranty of 50K miles on regular car, that only made 15K miles before down to 3/32.

Were you able to exercise the treadwear warranty on the Hankooks?

38k on my 19 inch Primacys. I still have 4/32 all around. I have rotated every 5 and carefully watch tire pressure. I am looking for tires now for replacement. Despite the expense, I will probably go with the Primacys again if they are still available.

6,000-7,000 for me in the Dallas Texas area...I changed them out after 6 tires...They wear on the inside of back tires. My new FK rims and ZR20" tires from Discount tire seems to have done the trick. A little more road noise but easier than tow truck every few months.

6,000-7,000 for me in the Dallas Texas area...I changed them out after 6 tires...They wear on the inside of back tires. My new FK rims and ZR20" tires from Discount tire seems to have done the trick. A little more road noise but easier than tow truck every few months.

What rims and tires? Even for 21" summer tires that is a very short lifespan. You might have an alignment problem.

Totally depends on model and configuration. For my P85+ with 21's...not a hell of a lot. Getting new tires tomorrow, as a matter of fact. I got 9K out of the rears, which is actually pretty good. I have heard many who have only gotten 5K. The fronts are fine. But I am moving from Michelins to Hankooks in the hopes of doing better and doing all corners at once. I am also very carefully aligning the wheels based on what I have learned here at TMC. It's a totally different story with 19's. You can get 20K plus easily. Check the threads. There is a lot of info on this topic.

Totally good choice on car options in your sig line.

But "Totally depends on..."?? Reading this thread, I see NO discussion of road types, very little on driving types.

I live at 1500' above Napa Valley. Everywhere I go is up or down hill, around 15 mph curves, usually with a vehicle behind. I LOVE having a pickup pushing me down the hill (at 5 - 10 mph over speed limit) and then I keep it at speed around the "hairpin". He gone!

And, yes, they speed going up hill, too, there being a college up top, and a lot of young drivers trying to get to class. Or somewhere. You aren't popular on a single lane road seven miles long if you creep at ten under the limit.

My tires last about 20K. I buy from Tire Rack, my local tire dealer puts them on. But I would definitely imagine that ANY brand, type, model or configuration is going to wear poorly up here. but it's "totally" worth it.

When I drove a RAV4EV (VERY carefully) I would get about 20K on my tires, and my friend who lives in the 25mph suburbs and then would drive down the freeway at less than 55, always got nearer to 60K miles. Some difference!! Exactly same tires.

Primacy MXM4's tires

I have the Primacy MXM4's. I've got about 26K on the car now and it's looking like they will need replacing at 30K. Price is about $350 per wheel inc. Installation.

I contacted Michelin regarding the treadwear guarantee for the Primacy MXM4 tires supplied as original equipment on a Tesla. I was told these tires have a treadwear guarantee of 45,000 miles. If you purchase a new set of the same tires from a Michelin dealer, i.e. Discount Tire, the new tires should be pro-rated per the Michelin guarantee.

But "Totally depends on..."?? Reading this thread, I see NO discussion of road types, very little on driving types.
(snip)

When I drove a RAV4EV (VERY carefully) I would get about 20K on my tires, and my friend who lives in the 25mph suburbs and then would drive down the freeway at less than 55, always got nearer to 60K miles. Some difference!! Exactly same tires.
Agree with this 100%. Driving style and road conditions play more of a factor in tire wear than most other factors. With that said, it would be useful if the manufacturer told us under which conditions the tires were tested to get the tread rating. I think throwing a number like 40k, 50k or even 75k mlies is highly misleading. How does a consumer knowledgeably buy tires?? I've gone with recommendations from Discount Tires and have always felt like they were pushing me into tires they had excess inventory of and wanted to get rid of rather than tires that were best for my car. They never ask about my driving style or where I drive, just rely on some rating in their system. Frustrating to say the least.

im determined not to make the same mistake with the Tesla but have no idea how.

Last edited:
Agree with this 100%. Driving style and road conditions play more of a factor in tire wear than most other factors. With that said, it would be useful if the manufacturer told us under which conditions the tires were tested to get the tread rating. I think throwing a number like 40k, 50k or even 75k mlies is highly misleading. How does a consumer knowledgeably buy tires?? I've gone with recommendations from Discount Tires and have always felt like they were pushing me into tires they had excess inventory of and wanted to get rid of rather than tires that were best for my car. They never ask about my driving style or where I drive, just rely on some rating in their system. Frustrating to say the least.

im determined not to make the same mistake with the Tesla but have no idea how.

A treadwear number is part of the UTQG rating on every tire. It's not perfect because the only constraint is that it can't be higher than the numbers arrived in during testing, and some manufacturers are more conservative with their ratings than others. So far I haven't seen any evidence that any tires are getting more (on average) than the 19" Michelin Primacy.

The UTQG test is performed on the first 5000 miles on a track and then extrapolated. This is supposed to result in a conservative value because tires wear slower as tread depth is reduced.

The two most important things you can do to prolong tire life are maintaining the inflation pressures and alignment.

As far as road construction goes, new roads wear tires faster than old roads. Mountainous areas tend to use aggregates that will provide more friction (and faster tire wear) than flatland areas do. Gravel roads wear tires out faster than paved roads.

It is my understanding that the UTQG treadwear rating is most useful within one manufacturer's line of tires and understanding their product offerings. That treadwear rating becomes less useful when comparing a tire from manufacturer A vs manufacturer B. The manufacturers do their own testing and assign the ratings themselves. However they are useful in a general approximation of what to expect. The higher the number the better however, as is typical, there are always trade offs... you oftentimes get some feature at the expense of other features. You get this but give up that.

Recently, here in CT there has been quite a lot of road resurfacing going on with the milling off of old asphalt and laying down new road surfaces. I often run on one of these newly resurfaced roads but when I get on that highway, the initial surface is older. The asphalt has a lot of the "fines" eroded away and as a result that initial stretch of road is quite noisy as the pebble and aggregate make noise.

Then the road transitions to the new surface... there is no erosion yet and the road is blissfully quiet. No tire noise at all.

The surface you ride upon, and its condition has quite a lot to do with perceived road noise. A factor that is important to many Tesla owners I suspect.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that the UTQG treadwear rating is most useful within one manufacturer's line of tires and understanding their product offerings. That treadwear rating becomes less useful when comparing a tire from manufacturer A vs manufacturer B.
That's correct as some manufacturers have more conservative ratings than others.

The surface you ride upon, and its condition has quite a lot to do with perceived road noise.
That is also correct. In addition, certain tires are quieter on certain road surfaces than others. So a tire perceived as quiet in California might not be quiet in Colorado.

15k on the 19" OEM Michelins.

Glad I'm not the only one. 23k on the car, but 5k of that was on snow tires. The Primacies are now off again and will replace them over the winter sometime. Lots of hills and turns here and I have a heavy foot at every light (it is why I bought the car), but the tire wear is a little shocking.

I am considering using my referral credits for the new set but appears Amazon (with free Prime shipping) is offering the same tires as a significant discount compared to quoted prices from Tesla. Since the wheel aren't on the car, I can ferry them to be mounted up anywhere (we don't have service center anyway) so I might do that. And try to be more gentle on the next set.

Set of 4 Primacy MXM4's installed yesterday after 32k miles, 2 tires could have lasted 6 more months but the left rear was done (regular rotating & perfect alignment).
)
IMG_0700.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Set of 4 Primacy MXM4's installed yesterday after 32k miles, 2 tires could have lasted 6 more months but the left rear was done (regular rotating & perfect alignment).
)
View attachment 104245
No way did that have perfect alignment. This is typical toe-out plus camber. If the alignment machine said it was perfect, then the alignment machine was way out of calibration (an unfortunately common occurrence).