Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of options/upgrades are you considering and why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't watch the video cause many commenters called it BS:
Speculative Options & Pricing For Tesla Model 3 – Video
Speculative Options & Pricing For Tesla Model 3 - Video

It seems I only really required #3 and 8, and maybe #1 down the road. I think to get 5, you need to get 4 and that's quite costly for me.

Battery Upgrade: Maybe it makes sense holding off on this --> protecting the battery from full cycles. This would extend the life several times over vs using it 0-100% all the time. could then wait until the opportune time to do so and purchase the unlock at the best price.
Upgrading From Tesla Model S 60 kWh To 75 kWh Just Got $2,000 Cheaper

Ludicrous Mode

Dual Motors

Enhanced Auto Pilot

Full Self Driving

Premium Package

Air Suspension - possibly better ride and handling at highway speed but maybe repair costs at least triple that of regular coils.

Sub-Zero Weather - No choice. I live in Canada outside of Vancouver.

UH Fidelity Sound

Battery Upgrade: Maybe it makes sense holding off on this --> protecting the battery from full cycles. This would extend the life several times over vs using it 0-100% all the time. could then wait until the opportune time to do so and purchase the unlock at the best price.
Upgrading From Tesla Model S 60 kWh To 75 kWh Just Got $2,000 Cheaper

That's assuming that the base battery is actually a larger battery that is software locked to a lesser amount.

Yeah, it's very unlikely that there will be a SW-limited battery option.

Going by my list below, I think I'd go for a 80D with:

- Metallic paint (why not personalize your 35-80k USD car?)
- Premium seats/interior (should lift the interior greatly and I might get ultra-white seats.)
- Glass Roof (don't need sunroof and it should make the car feel more spacious.)
- Tech Package (should be less annoying to have it, better lights.)
- Air suspension (great for getting over mounds of snow.)
- Cold Weather Package (hoping for heated steering wheel.)
- Sound system (my wife will appreciate it greatly.)
- Tow Bar (obvious choice in Norway.)

61,250 USD in total.

model-3-options3-png.210046

Last edited:
For me, it is rather simple: I've wanted a Model 3 ever since the Roadster was in alpha. Yes, like many folks, I've been following Tesla very closely since the very beginning (my wife probably thinks it is unhealthy). I actually went and visited their original store/final assembly in the Bay Area in 2008 where they were delivering the Roadster. Sat in one, got a picture of me with a giant smile.

I got this base Model S 70 because the numbers almost made sense, so that meant I was done waiting to get in the game...

So for the 3, I want it all.
I would hope that getting a 'P' and a 'D' and an 'L' will not actually double the price of the base car. I'll go as "all-in" as I can stomach. No more "I wish I had the top one".

Assuming its in my budget, I definitely want dual motors. I basically want the fastest model I can afford. I'd like full Autopilot capability as well. I'm sure I'm going to spend some time agonizing in the configurator over "must haves" and "wants." Unlike many others on this board, I'm not in a position to pick "all of the above" and spec out a $100,000 Model 3 to add to my table of a Model S and Model X.

Longest range battery available at time of configuration and dual motor is a must.

As far as autopilot and full autonomous driving I might wait and see the pricing and it's true capabilities at time of configuration. I may upgrade this later in time once it is fully compatible of driving autonomously because I fear that there would be another hardware rev before we see level 5 autonomy and so no point paying for full autonomous package if can't be done on AP2. It will also let me consider payimg for other features like premium package, glass or moonroof, air suspension etc that cant be upgraded later in time.

Glass roof - Looks sweet and would be a great conversation piece
Leather (or vegan) seats - I've never not had leather, and it's a must in a "luxury" vehicle (light colored, style depends on what is offered)
Decor - I've always liked the brown wood look (if not available I may just take the standard decor)

Autopilot - Assuming I hear good reviews on the enhanced autopilot on local highways, I will get it (currently I'm told autopilot is often unreliable on my stretch of interstate)
Premium - The improved headlights would be nice, and a beefed up air filter might be beneficial, but at its current price point and without any ventilated/AC seat option, it's not worth it at all (and frankly, the alcantara dashboard accent looks bad)
Paint - Tesla needs to offer free white paint again; it's ridiculous that they don't and makes them look amateurish, and their non-base colors are incredibly overpriced, too

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
I have two must haves
#1 Dual Motors: AWD is a great advantage for us Canucks, and it provides better handling, acceleration and range. Win win!
#2. Sub Zero Pack: Gotta stay warm!
After that I'll take the options I want but probably won't need/
#3 Sunroof, assuming those in a model S don't have complaints about them
#4 Enhanced Auto Pilot (would only order Full autopilot after it's fully vetted & approved.)
#5 Battery Upgrade if range and acceleration are significantly improved

• Informative
So for the 3, I want it all.
I would hope that getting a 'P' and a 'D' and an 'L' will not actually double the price of the base car. I'll go as "all-in" as I can stomach. No more "I wish I had the top one".
Model3tracker.info estimates my cost at more than $70k, so yes, double the base car. Damn you awesomeness! Although, am not sure Ludicrous will really be $20k. So this new pricing estimates is YMMV!

But the way, if you have not done so, I would go ahead and enter your info and expected config on Model3Tracker.info interesting data comes from it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
My philosophy so far as been to obtain as many hardware upgrades as possible since those can't be upgraded in the future (at least not easily). And I still might do that depending on cost, but it did get me thinking what I actually need. I won't be doing a lot of long distance travel with it, nor do I live in the Land of Ice and Snow. So practically speaking, I don't *need* extra range. I don't *need* dual motor. Obviously I don't *need* Ludicrous speeds. I'm a family man with a herd of young offspring, so practicality is a part of my life.

For me, getting those options would be purely emotional. Definitely not saying that's bad by any stretch of the imagination. There is something to be said for the smile that unconsciously creeps up on you when you get into a car you own and really enjoy. But it will make me think twice before automatically clicking everything on the build.

My options, in order of probable purchase...
dual motors
pano roof
EAP
cold weather pkg
premium interior
paint
sound system
bigger battery

Of course that's all dependent on price and what those options would actually include. Originally, my list would have been dual motors and bigger battery as first and second but I've thought about it a lot and simply don't need a larger battery. I take one, maybe two, trips a year that is over 200 miles so there is no need.

I'll see what's included in the cold weather package and what's standard and decide on that, I'm Ohio so it might be nice, but I've never had anything that's in it so far and don't consider them terribly important.

My daily commute is 100 miles so the EAP would be very welcome for that. I'll wait on full self drive until it legal.

All the others I'll just wait and see what's standard and what the options cost.

Budget is 45k.

Need: Dual Motor, Sub-zero, Leather Seats, Red paint
Want: EAP, Premium Upgrades (fancy headlights, interior lights, other gadgets and gizmos)

Have thought really hard about the bigger battery but for our 30 mile daily commuting and occasional 100+ mile road trip, I don't think it is worth the extra money.

• Informative