TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What kind of options/upgrades are you considering and why?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by internalaudit, Jan 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I'm not sure any of that actually explained the inconsistent pricing.

2. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

There will most likely be 350kW+ chargers by the time you get your 3.

Tesla has been designing the 3 at the same time they've been reworking their battery cells and packs. And they've even recently acknowledged they're working on a new, more high powered supercharger.

It would be a terrible business decision to do all of that and not make the first half a million 3s new super charging capable, even if the actual charging network upgrade is still in its infancy.

3. Blazing Whisper

My only must is autopilot but I will definitely shell out for dual motor and a larger battery. Depending on price I will consider the premium option and the glass roof. Depending on how promising self-driving is, that's also a big consideration.

4. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

It kinda did. Software upgrade vs. a different physical pack = cheaper.

Physical pack upgrade = more expensive.

And considering the 100kWh pack just became available in "non-P" format, we don't know yet if that means all 90's are really just going to be software-locked 100's.

5. Bokonon

Bokonon Title-customizing Member

I'm no marketer, but I've seen this kind of pricing scheme implemented more and more often of late. My wife -- who is in marketing -- describes it as the "no-brainer upgrade" method of raising the average selling price of a product.

One memorable example that I saw recently: I visited a Stumptown coffee shop at Portland (OR) International Airport, and their iced lattes were priced as follows:

Small (8 oz): 3.75
    Medium: (12 oz): 4.00

Given how close these two prices are, how many people are actually going to buy the smaller size? After all, a mere $0.25 (or 6.7%) more gets you 50% more beverage -- who could turn that offer down?

Another way to think about it (since we're talking about cars) is like a loss-leader, only in reverse: if you're already spending $92,800 for a 90D (before options), another $3K (3.2%) is a drop in the bucket for 41 more (13.2%) EPA miles. From the buyer's side, the choice is virtually a no-brainer... but on Tesla's side, that same choice translates to a higher average selling price for the Model S.

6. Bokonon

Bokonon Title-customizing Member

I'll take that flyer too. It's worth noting that, just as the 60D and 75D have the same 0-60 times, so do the 90D and 100D...

7. Mishakim

Mishakim Member

While I'd love to be wrong, I think it's very unlikely that the first generation of 3s will be able to get more than 80% charge in significantly less than 30 minutes, even when new superchargers are online. There are a lot of pieces that have to come together for that to happen, including batteries, charging system in the car, and possibly supercharger hardware design. And I don't think the time between the reveal and when we get deliveries on the east coast will change that -- even Tesla is not going to bring updates in that fast, if it's not there at launch on the west coast, it's not going to be there in 2018 either. Remember, "pencils down" was some time ago - they're not still tweaking the engineering of first-gen model 3.

8. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I think most people understand the "no brainer upgrade". And it works to explain the 90D to 100D upgrade. It doesn't work well explaining the other battery upgrades. Hence my declaration that Tesla's battery option prices are "inconsistent".

9. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I chose the larger battery and dual motor for the extra range and faster 80% charge time.
    All glass roof for the open feel
    Enhanced autopilot because I want the option to relax a bit
    I'll pay the extra for autonomy when it is really released - I can save up in the meantime.

• Like x 1
  10. Matt125

Matt125 Member

Revised my plans after realising that UK government grant for EVs may disappear by 2018/19, and VAT may be added on top of the base price (instead of being included in it), which could make the cost of the base model considerably more than I expected.

Right now I am saving as much as possible for the deposit to try to bring the monthly cost down on finance. I expect the only options I'll be able to afford are for metallic blue paint and autopilot, and even then that'll be pushing it.

• Like x 1
  11. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

For me, mostly going for "fluff" options

Required options:
    Metallic or multicoat paint - absolutely. Hoping to see some color options that are not black or white
    Leather - I would regret not getting leather, so it's a must
    Carbon fiber Decor - assuming we have the option
    EAP - would make my hour+ 1-way commute in stop and go traffic not as horrible
    PUP - hoping for similar upgrades we see for the S/X
    Glass roof (maybe operable) - like the idea of all glass

Very likely options:
    Dual motor - no solid "need", but would like the idea of AWD
    SAS - unless this has a high price tag, it will be added

Less likely options:
    Wheels - depending on standard style
    Larger battery - depending on price, but ok with standard range
    UHFS - if I still have money to throw at something

Who's to saw this wasn't already in the works a year prior to "pencils down"?

12. rajpatel486

rajpatel486 Member

The upgrades I want in order of importance are:

1) Battery
    2) Dual Motors
    3) Weather Package – I hope they offer ventilated seats with this instead of the premium package (or in both)
    4) UHF Sound
    5) Enhanced Auto Pilot

13. boiler81

boiler81 Member

14. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

I'm going to be pushing it to afford the base model as it is. But if I can stretch it, upgrades will be (a) dual motor and (b) bigger battery.

If the bigger battery is software unlockable then I'll happy get the lower capacity battery and worry about it later, but I'm in a lowly populated region and fast charging facilities are limited (and not expecting superchargers to make an appearance for quite some time).

• Like x 1
  15. houdini

houdini Member

I think you can make it work without a larger battery. Tassie is small enough but it depends on your appetite for road trips. You can use destination chargers overnight, 3 phase in friendly garages, caravan parks or showgrounds. Part of the adventure. That said if there is a larger battery option (not confirmed) it may be the option that gets it delivered earlier. Unfortunately my feeling is the P models will be the priority delivered cars. At least you will get a car after all the bugs are worked out. Also you might get an inventory car for cheaper with a few more optijns for the base price if someone orders and cancels. Should be a few options for you anyway.

16. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

All very good points. I drive a Leaf now so I'm in the habit of scouring Plugshare for caravan parks etc. There are a few destination chargers around Tassie but none on the main highway. One of the Model S (85) owners I've spoken to says he can't do a return Hobart-Launceston day trip (400 km + incidental driving) on a single charge. I can't see it being a big issue but given it would be replacing our only petrol car I'd like to not have to worry about it at all!

I'm expecting to be at the tail end of deliveries, but that's OK, gives me longer to save up. I may even switch to the Model Y once more information becomes available about it!

17. Matt125

Matt125 Member

I am in a similar boat. The UK is very different from Tasmania of course, and the supercharger infrastructure here is going to get a lot better over the next few years, but I will only just be able to afford the base model.

Part of the reason I put the reservation down was that it was £1k I wouldn't have to spend later. But I'm expecting I won't even be able to configure until late 2018 at the earliest.

I see that as a good thing. The Americans can help test the cars for us, so we will get Model 3s with better components and better EAP. Also gives us the chance to save up - in my case, I'm aiming for a 1/3 deposit and enough cushioning in my bank account to easily handle the monthly payments. Hoping my salary will go up by then anyway - in which case I may be able to afford EAP when I get the car!

• Like x 1
  18. djplong

djplong Member

For me, the list is...

Dual motors - I live in New England and snow/ice is a factor. I've wanted 4WD for a long time but have been unwilling to put up with the SUV compromise for what is effective a couple of days/year of need.
    Bigger battery - with Free Supercharging being scaled back, I want to have as much range from my garage as possible. Common trips for us can be 170 miles one-way but a destination charger handles that.
    Premium sound / dash / tech / interior options - Depending on what they are, I want them. Just no leather, thank you.
    I'd like a sunroof but not "all glass".
    Cold weather package - Again, New England.
    Tow package - one of my two reservations needs it as my wife might need to tow a small trailer of work tools.
    Air suspension - that's a maybe, depending on price.

I don't need Ludicrous mode or super-special paint or huge wheels. I want to be able to afford the tires when it comes time to replace them.

• Informative x 1
  19. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Gross.

That doesn't excite or interest me at all. Haha.

20. Booga

Booga Member

Valid point - he example is specific to computers that don't allow it to be swapped out. Many laptops (especially the most portable ones) don't allow it today.