Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of options/upgrades are you considering and why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in a current-generation pack, 60=>75 is a software upgrade, as the physical pack is a 75.

75 to 90 is an actual, physical pack upgrade.

And we don't actually know this yet....but I'm gonna take a flyer here and say the new 90's are really software-limited 100's...or will be as soon as they start coming off the line in the upcoming months.

I'm not sure any of that actually explained the inconsistent pricing.

I take it you've not owned a car with a small tank and poor mileage? Tank size is absolutely something people look at. It probably won't tip a purchasing decision for most, but it's not irrelevant.
More on point, we're talking about options on Model 3, not what we'll buy in ten years. Yes, someday fast charging will be that fast, but for the immediate future, a larger battery will allow you to get more range in the fast part of the charge slope, with means less-frequenct charging, which is a big deal when that still takes half an hour. In addition to an as-yet unbuilt infrastructure, significantly faster charging will also need improved heat management on the car side, so it's not going to be in the first edition of model 3.

There will most likely be 350kW+ chargers by the time you get your 3.

Tesla has been designing the 3 at the same time they've been reworking their battery cells and packs. And they've even recently acknowledged they're working on a new, more high powered supercharger.

It would be a terrible business decision to do all of that and not make the first half a million 3s new super charging capable, even if the actual charging network upgrade is still in its infancy.

I don't understand Tesla's battery pricing.

Model S:
60(D) to 75(D) upgrade is $6,500
75D to 90D is $10,000
90D to 100D is $3,000

At $3,000/10kWh, I'll probably opt for a larger battery. But at $10,000/15kWh, Tesla can shove it.

I'm no marketer, but I've seen this kind of pricing scheme implemented more and more often of late. My wife -- who is in marketing -- describes it as the "no-brainer upgrade" method of raising the average selling price of a product.

One memorable example that I saw recently: I visited a Stumptown coffee shop at Portland (OR) International Airport, and their iced lattes were priced as follows:

Small (8 oz): 3.75
Medium: (12 oz): 4.00

Given how close these two prices are, how many people are actually going to buy the smaller size? After all, a mere $0.25 (or 6.7%) more gets you 50% more beverage -- who could turn that offer down?

Another way to think about it (since we're talking about cars) is like a loss-leader, only in reverse: if you're already spending $92,800 for a 90D (before options), another $3K (3.2%) is a drop in the bucket for 41 more (13.2%) EPA miles. From the buyer's side, the choice is virtually a no-brainer... but on Tesla's side, that same choice translates to a higher average selling price for the Model S.

There will most likely be 350kW+ chargers by the time you get your 3.

Tesla has been designing the 3 at the same time they've been reworking their battery cells and packs. And they've even recently acknowledged they're working on a new, more high powered supercharger.

It would be a terrible business decision to do all of that and not make the first half a million 3s new super charging capable, even if the actual charging network upgrade is still in its infancy.
While I'd love to be wrong, I think it's very unlikely that the first generation of 3s will be able to get more than 80% charge in significantly less than 30 minutes, even when new superchargers are online. There are a lot of pieces that have to come together for that to happen, including batteries, charging system in the car, and possibly supercharger hardware design. And I don't think the time between the reveal and when we get deliveries on the east coast will change that -- even Tesla is not going to bring updates in that fast, if it's not there at launch on the west coast, it's not going to be there in 2018 either. Remember, "pencils down" was some time ago - they're not still tweaking the engineering of first-gen model 3.

I'm no marketer, but I've seen this kind of pricing scheme implemented more and more often of late. My wife -- who is in marketing -- describes it as the "no-brainer upgrade" method of raising the average selling price of a product.

One memorable example that I saw recently: I visited a Stumptown coffee shop at Portland (OR) International Airport, and their iced lattes were priced as follows:

Small (8 oz): 3.75
Medium: (12 oz): 4.00

Given how close these two prices are, how many people are actually going to buy the smaller size? After all, a mere $0.25 (or 6.7%) more gets you 50% more beverage -- who could turn that offer down?

Another way to think about it (since we're talking about cars) is like a loss-leader, only in reverse: if you're already spending $92,800 for a 90D (before options), another $3K (3.2%) is a drop in the bucket for 41 more (13.2%) EPA miles. From the buyer's side, the choice is virtually a no-brainer... but on Tesla's side, that same choice translates to a higher average selling price for the Model S.

I think most people understand the "no brainer upgrade". And it works to explain the 90D to 100D upgrade. It doesn't work well explaining the other battery upgrades. Hence my declaration that Tesla's battery option prices are "inconsistent".

I chose the larger battery and dual motor for the extra range and faster 80% charge time.
All glass roof for the open feel
Enhanced autopilot because I want the option to relax a bit
I'll pay the extra for autonomy when it is really released - I can save up in the meantime.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Revised my plans after realising that UK government grant for EVs may disappear by 2018/19, and VAT may be added on top of the base price (instead of being included in it), which could make the cost of the base model considerably more than I expected.

Right now I am saving as much as possible for the deposit to try to bring the monthly cost down on finance. I expect the only options I'll be able to afford are for metallic blue paint and autopilot, and even then that'll be pushing it.

Reactions: Lem89
For me, mostly going for "fluff" options

Required options:
Metallic or multicoat paint - absolutely. Hoping to see some color options that are not black or white
Leather - I would regret not getting leather, so it's a must
Carbon fiber Decor - assuming we have the option
EAP - would make my hour+ 1-way commute in stop and go traffic not as horrible
PUP - hoping for similar upgrades we see for the S/X
Glass roof (maybe operable) - like the idea of all glass

Very likely options:
Dual motor - no solid "need", but would like the idea of AWD
SAS - unless this has a high price tag, it will be added

Less likely options:
Wheels - depending on standard style
Larger battery - depending on price, but ok with standard range
UHFS - if I still have money to throw at something

There are a lot of pieces that have to come together for that to happen, including batteries, charging system in the car, and possibly supercharger hardware design...... Remember, "pencils down" was some time ago - they're not still tweaking the engineering of first-gen model 3.
Who's to saw this wasn't already in the works a year prior to "pencils down"?

I'm going to be pushing it to afford the base model as it is. But if I can stretch it, upgrades will be (a) dual motor and (b) bigger battery.

If the bigger battery is software unlockable then I'll happy get the lower capacity battery and worry about it later, but I'm in a lowly populated region and fast charging facilities are limited (and not expecting superchargers to make an appearance for quite some time).

Reactions: Matt125
I'm going to be pushing it to afford the base model as it is. But if I can stretch it, upgrades will be (a) dual motor and (b) bigger battery.

If the bigger battery is software unlockable then I'll happy get the lower capacity battery and worry about it later, but I'm in a lowly populated region and fast charging facilities are limited (and not expecting superchargers to make an appearance for quite some time).

I think you can make it work without a larger battery. Tassie is small enough but it depends on your appetite for road trips. You can use destination chargers overnight, 3 phase in friendly garages, caravan parks or showgrounds. Part of the adventure. That said if there is a larger battery option (not confirmed) it may be the option that gets it delivered earlier. Unfortunately my feeling is the P models will be the priority delivered cars. At least you will get a car after all the bugs are worked out. Also you might get an inventory car for cheaper with a few more optijns for the base price if someone orders and cancels. Should be a few options for you anyway.

I think you can make it work without a larger battery. Tassie is small enough but it depends on your appetite for road trips. You can use destination chargers overnight, 3 phase in friendly garages, caravan parks or showgrounds. Part of the adventure. That said if there is a larger battery option (not confirmed) it may be the option that gets it delivered earlier. Unfortunately my feeling is the P models will be the priority delivered cars. At least you will get a car after all the bugs are worked out. Also you might get an inventory car for cheaper with a few more optijns for the base price if someone orders and cancels. Should be a few options for you anyway.

All very good points. I drive a Leaf now so I'm in the habit of scouring Plugshare for caravan parks etc. There are a few destination chargers around Tassie but none on the main highway. One of the Model S (85) owners I've spoken to says he can't do a return Hobart-Launceston day trip (400 km + incidental driving) on a single charge. I can't see it being a big issue but given it would be replacing our only petrol car I'd like to not have to worry about it at all!

I'm expecting to be at the tail end of deliveries, but that's OK, gives me longer to save up. I may even switch to the Model Y once more information becomes available about it!

All very good points. I drive a Leaf now so I'm in the habit of scouring Plugshare for caravan parks etc. There are a few destination chargers around Tassie but none on the main highway. One of the Model S (85) owners I've spoken to says he can't do a return Hobart-Launceston day trip (400 km + incidental driving) on a single charge. I can't see it being a big issue but given it would be replacing our only petrol car I'd like to not have to worry about it at all!

I'm expecting to be at the tail end of deliveries, but that's OK, gives me longer to save up. I may even switch to the Model Y once more information becomes available about it!

I am in a similar boat. The UK is very different from Tasmania of course, and the supercharger infrastructure here is going to get a lot better over the next few years, but I will only just be able to afford the base model.

Part of the reason I put the reservation down was that it was £1k I wouldn't have to spend later. But I'm expecting I won't even be able to configure until late 2018 at the earliest.

I see that as a good thing. The Americans can help test the cars for us, so we will get Model 3s with better components and better EAP. Also gives us the chance to save up - in my case, I'm aiming for a 1/3 deposit and enough cushioning in my bank account to easily handle the monthly payments. Hoping my salary will go up by then anyway - in which case I may be able to afford EAP when I get the car!

Reactions: Chuq
For me, the list is...

Dual motors - I live in New England and snow/ice is a factor. I've wanted 4WD for a long time but have been unwilling to put up with the SUV compromise for what is effective a couple of days/year of need.
Bigger battery - with Free Supercharging being scaled back, I want to have as much range from my garage as possible. Common trips for us can be 170 miles one-way but a destination charger handles that.
Premium sound / dash / tech / interior options - Depending on what they are, I want them. Just no leather, thank you.
I'd like a sunroof but not "all glass".
Cold weather package - Again, New England.
Tow package - one of my two reservations needs it as my wife might need to tow a small trailer of work tools.
Air suspension - that's a maybe, depending on price.

I don't need Ludicrous mode or super-special paint or huge wheels. I want to be able to afford the tires when it comes time to replace them.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Such an incorrect statement unless you are talking about apple products. You can increase the memory (both RAM and Disk space) in most computers. Fast charging makes bigger battery size unnecessary, I hope people get out of the ICE range mentality.
Valid point - he example is specific to computers that don't allow it to be swapped out. Many laptops (especially the most portable ones) don't allow it today.