Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of options/upgrades are you considering and why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do they have $35,000?

My wife does work so she could get one but it doesn't make financial sense. I don't even know how reliable the M3 will be after the first four years of ownership. We have an Accord and RAV4 Hybrid to use when the M3 could be impractical to use.

We only need one electric car for the time being though and only put down a reservation for one. Marginal benefit of a second EV is not as great at least for our current need -- depreciation is much higher than fuel and incremental maintenance savings.

We'll be waiting for advancement and more competition likely in the BEB SUV market before going fully electric with our autos. I think I will go with a used EV in the future to save a bundle.

I think about it this way: we indulge in a few things my wife could possibly want so when the time comes to sell the RAV4, it will be an easier pitch. :) She has gotten fond of the SUV (women?) but Musk did mention the M3 will be the cheapest Tesla will be selling so the Y could be at least $5k more expensive and another two to three years of waiting.

By the time the Y comes out, it will be BEV galore for consumers and by then, my wife can possibly get a used BEV SUV.

Last edited:
I have had tons of bright red cars. 2 Mustangs, 2 trucks, a toyota Echo. All red. The only time I got a ticket was in my black Civic. I don't drive crazy fast usually.

I can't believe the taxes on cars in some states. Texas is crazy cheap for car registration/taxes. 6.25% one time (unless you move here you pay taxes again) then <$80/year. Even our inspections are less than $30/year. Property taxes on the other hand... At least there is no state income tax.

When folks talk about inspections, are they referring to general safety inspections, emissions inspections, both, other?

Florida has no inspections, regardless. One-year registration fees are $66.85. There are no state vehicle property taxes. Statewide vehicle sales tax of 6%. Individual counties may have an additional sales tax on top of that, but it only is for the first $5,000 of vehicle sales price (realistically, $75 max for additional 1.5% county sales tax).

Politically, Florida does many things wrong. But tax-wise, I think they get it right. Granted, Florida's strategy simply will not work for most states (but that's why states are allowed to decide how they conduct their taxes...and residents are allowed to move freely between states). Tourists (hotel bed tax, sales tax, etc) contribute a large portion of our tax base so we (the residents) don't have to.

Forum newbie, been lurking for a while.
I'll take a white debadged P90DL+, or whatever the quickest model is, so as to have as stealthy a Q ship as possible, to blow the doors off unsuspecting Hellcats, 911s, 'Vettes, etc. The poster who mentioned this would be his last car resonated with me, so throw in the bells and whistles. The only problem with it being my last car is that I know the 2022 M3 will be a superior car, so...

Reactions: internalaudit
@sdsu75-yes, that was me. I'd expect the mdl 3 to last about 30 yrs. Give or take 2 battery purchases during that time.
Now maybe my car becomes obsolete in 15yrs and the battery is no longer available. I'd hope the batteries would be backwards
compatible.

When folks talk about inspections, are they referring to general safety inspections, emissions inspections, both, other?

Florida has no inspections, regardless. One-year registration fees are $66.85. There are no state vehicle property taxes. Statewide vehicle sales tax of 6%. Individual counties may have an additional sales tax on top of that, but it only is for the first $5,000 of vehicle sales price (realistically, $75 max for additional 1.5% county sales tax).

Politically, Florida does many things wrong. But tax-wise, I think they get it right. Granted, Florida's strategy simply will not work for most states (but that's why states are allowed to decide how they conduct their taxes...and residents are allowed to move freely between states). Tourists (hotel bed tax, sales tax, etc) contribute a large portion of our tax base so we (the residents) don't have to.
You forgot that if you trade in your car in FL, you don't have to pay tax on that amount of your new car cost! So if your trade is worth $20k, you only pay tax on the remaining $15k (base model)

Only responding to make my day feel better because at #151+ in postings here, I doubt there will be a determined reader to get this far. First, I have to sit in and drive the car first. That will help me to make decisions on choices for configuration. I need to know if I need to purchase air suspension because the car may be too low to the ground?

Since we really don't know what options are going to be available and we don't know if there will be bundles, I will use the chart that was shown within the first 10 posts.

IF and only IF I can get the money saved, I would go with the 80kWh battery option and 342 miles of range. RANGE is the most important to me so that traveling will be easier. If not enough funds, then I would drop down to the 282 miles of range or 65kWh batttery. Now for the options: Dual motors, Premium seats (bundle), Tech package (bundle), high-amp charger, and air suspension if the car sits too low.

I will be totally shocked if Tesla puts the Model 3 on the street with a base battery pack that yields less range than the Chevy Bolt. Forget being able to buy larger battery packs, the BASE pack HAS GOT TO BEAT CHEVY!!

• Informative
the BASE pack HAS GOT TO BEAT CHEVY!!

Base will beat Chevy even if M3 will have few miles less range. Chevy can only go as much as the range number and in some
scenarios slightly more with not-so-fast DC infrastructure. Model 3 with 30 miles less range can go from one SC to another reliably.
We already know that Model 3 base model range will be SIMILAR to Bolt range. SC network is designed the way so any
Tesla can travel from one station to another in any realistic weather scenario to that region.
Tesla will not beat random vehicle range number for fun. Bolt has 200 miles for a reason. It actually is a number
that fills the needs of most drivers. Whoever wants more can choose more. This is not something Bolt offers.

Tesla is not a bully. It will not spank other EVs. This is against their philosophy. If GM made 238mi vehicle, then be it.
If Model 3 will be 228mi, then be it. It's just a guidance number. It doesn't directly represent what can vehicle actually do.

Bolt 200mi and Model3 200mi side-by-side will definitely show everybody it is actually possible and reasonable to make 200 mile EVs.

I've never bought a new car before because I always prefer to let someone else take the huge depreciation hit, so buying a M3 would be a really big (and expensive) deal for me. The most I've ever paid for a car was my used '06 Infinity G35 coupe that I bought in '08 for $25k.

I live in CA, so if the Fed and State tax credits still exist, I'll get 10k off the price of a new tesla, which is the only reason I'm considering buying a new car for the first time. If the credits aren't available anymore, I'll just buy a used volt or i3 and save a ton of money. Then get a used M3 a few years down the road.

If I can get the full tax credits, I'll probably go for the base 50kw model. 222miles can get me to san diego or solvang on a charge, and in order to make it all the way to vegas on a charge I'd have to buy the 80kw battery, so buying the 65kw battery would just be more $ for no real gain. And 5.5 sec 0-60 is plenty quick for me. I live in LA so no cold weather package needed. Not really interested in auto pilot, at least not at the price they're asking for it.

The only options I'm really considering are:
1. upgraded seats - my wife has a bad back so we need the best seats we can find.
2. upgraded stereo - I HATE crappy sound systems, but at what price? Definite yes if it's $1000, definite no if it's $2500.
But these are decisions I can't make til I can physically see (and hear) the various options on the car. I hope tesla isn't expecting us to make these choices blind.

Air suspension might be nice on LA's crappy roads, but it's expensive and just one more thing that will eventually break. I'd love to test drive a M3 with air suspension, but it would have to blow my mind to make me buy it, not just be a slight improvement.

I'm curious to see the car without the glass roof. And I need to do a side by side comparison of the cheap paint vs nice paint.

Lots of questions at this point, not many answers. Hoping I can get the car I want for 30k after tax breaks.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I'll take a white debadged P90DL+, or whatever the quickest model is, so as to have as stealthy a Q ship as possible, to blow the doors off unsuspecting Hellcats, 911s, 'Vettes, etc.
I always laugh at these comments with the "I'll show you attitude". The Model 3 isn't a "sleeper" you built yourself. The Hellcat, 911, and Vette owners, being more likely to be auto enthusiasts, are much less likely to be unsuspecting when it comes to acceleration metrics of other cars. That's especially true for a highly recognizable, mass-produced platform like the Model 3. And debadging ain't gonna hide your "secret weapon" of course lol! The sheer volume of ludicrous optioned Model 3's will have people rolling their eyes in no time at the over-eager, stoplight-racing show offs.

Tesla is not a bully. It will not spank other EVs. This is against their philosophy. If GM made 238mi vehicle, then be it.
If Model 3 will be 228mi, then be it. It's just a guidance number. It doesn't directly represent what can vehicle actually do.

Bolt 200mi and Model3 200mi side-by-side will definitely show everybody it is actually possible and reasonable to make 200 mile EVs.

Then tesla should stop making good-looking EVs, because that's where they spank the other cars the hardest.
Put a M3 and a Bolt side by side and it shows how GM isnt really interested in making a good looking EV.

It's funny, when I was younger I would have wanted the dual motor, biggest battery model.

Now that I'm 40, I think 6 seconds 0-60 is plenty fast to do whatever I need, so I'll get the base model M3 if I get one. What am I going to start street racing or something? I no longer have that macho insecurity or anything to prove. Hell I drove an i3 last weekend and even that was fast enough for me.

"Blowing the doors" off a hellcat doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Passing power at highways speed does. Zooming ahead at stoplights does. Merging onto freeways will be fun. But I don't need to impress a bunch of teenage boys with burnouts or anything. Funny how aging changes your perspective.

Well, I want the dual motor and biggest battery model - but not so I can blow the doors off a Hellcat or Viper.

I want the biggest battery for several reasons. I want the most range on road trips and the most "high speed charging" capacity in my battery at a Supercharger before it "levels off" - especially for those states where they are going to charge by the minute. I need more than 250 miles of range because that will get me past New York City when I drive from my home in NH to my daughters in Philly.

I want the dual motors because I live in New Hampshire and I want the traction in the snow.

• Informative