Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of options/upgrades are you considering and why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a Model 3 reservation holder and was not aware of this, so then the premium package,is that just the upgrade to leather or vegan leather? I got my sights on those white leather seats!

I just checked the design studio and it appears the guy at the showroom was wrong. There are still "premium seats" which are an additional option - what he probably meant was the standard multi-pattern black are better than the old standard seats...

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I didn't watch the video cause many commenters called it BS:
Speculative Options & Pricing For Tesla Model 3 – Video
Speculative Options & Pricing For Tesla Model 3 - Video

It seems I only really required #3 and 8, and maybe #1 down the road. I think to get 5, you need to get 4 and that's quite costly for me.

Battery Upgrade: Maybe it makes sense holding off on this --> protecting the battery from full cycles. This would extend the life several times over vs using it 0-100% all the time. could then wait until the opportune time to do so and purchase the unlock at the best price.
Upgrading From Tesla Model S 60 kWh To 75 kWh Just Got $2,000 Cheaper

Ludicrous Mode

Dual Motors

Enhanced Auto Pilot

Full Self Driving

Premium Package

Air Suspension - possibly better ride and handling at highway speed but maybe repair costs at least triple that of regular coils.

Sub-Zero Weather - No choice. I live in Canada outside of Vancouver.

UH Fidelity Sound

The good thing is you can do the software upgrade to 75, activate EAP and FSD whenever you want and that won't be part of the original budget you set aside from the car.

I am planning to do just that if I can't afford EAP at launch. I'll just save my money and I'll probably be able to afford it the next year. I doubt they'll do the 60/75 thing again for the Model 3 because of the numbers involved. They'll make such a huge loss on selling cars which actually have bigger batteries - I assume most people who buy the base model won't be interested in upgrading.

So my budget will be to focus on the battery first - if the cost is trivial, I'll definitely buy it - otherwise I'll have to cut my losses and just accept a smaller battery. Which will hurt when I have to drive to customers instead of the office (but hey, maybe supercharging will get even faster by then).

extra side benefit to the "buy low, upgrade via OTA" approach:

the Tax Man hasn't yet figured out how to tack these onto your property tax bill. Sure, you'll pay sales tax on the software purchase, but if you live somewhere that charges annual property tax on the car, they don't ask annually if you've downloaded new software.

when you're looking at doing ~$10K US in software upgrades after the initial purchase of the vehicle, the tax savings over time will be significant. (other than Year 1 of the software purchase, when they'll nail you for the Sales Tax).

Reactions: boaterva
when you're looking at doing ~$10K US in software upgrades after the initial purchase of the vehicle, the tax savings over time will be significant. (other than Year 1 of the software purchase, when they'll nail you for the Sales Tax).
Excellent point for those of us in Virginia (another property tax state (my bad, Commonwealth)) whether looking at a 3 or any other new model!

Wow, property taxes on vehicles sounds pretty absurd. Taxing a depreciating asset? And who's responsible for reporting and assessing the value of the vehicle each year? I'd also think there would be some wink-wink nudge-nudge incentives for dealers to sell as many new vehicles as possible. Seems like a bunch of "NOPE" all around. Yuck.

Basically, you're taxed $25 per $1,000 of the assessed value. On purchase, you're taxed on the sticker (sale) price, pro-rated depending on when in the year you bought. After that, they use NADA Blue Book and a depreciation scale, so in year 2, you're taxed at 60% of the NADA Blue Book value of the car.

And that's where (sometimes), it could become worth it to not buy some functionality until after you take delivery. They don't track software upgrades to the car, only what you presented on the Bill of Sale when you initially registered it.

CIS: Motor Vehicle Excise Information

And you guys still have to pay for vehicle registration every year on top of that? Yeesh. Guess I should go down to the DMV with a smile on my face the next time I pay for my FSU specialty tag registration!

We don't fleece our tourists nearly as much as you do down there in FL.

Everyone in a Disney hotel room paying a 5% Tourist tax on top of the sales tax already in place is ensuring you won't have to go through this at the DMV. LOL

AWD, maybe cold weather package, and possibly a larger battery than what the base model offers. However, the majority of our driving will be city as we live in Seattle and rarely drive further than Wenatchee, Vancouver BC, or Portland, so not sure if we'll need a larger battery given future supercharger network expansion.

No need for an all-glass roof, premium sound, air suspension, or autopilot at this time.

• Informative
Still need to research. Does a larger battery increase it's usable life? and all that.

I really like the idea of the car backing itself down the driveway, especially in winter when it's dark.

Our only absolute must is red paint. We're not spending that kind of $ without getting the color we want.

• Helpful
I need to correct myself-white is first-second is red.
Why white-there are about 400% more white cars than red.
But here is a recent study:
Most and Least Ticketed Types, Makes and Colors of Cars | Mustang News Blog | CJ Pony Parts
My brother is a policeman-he isn't biased but red seems to speed the most in his area.
Red means the person thinks they own a ferrari or maserati or porsche.
My best friend had a red beretta before he became a policman. He had 9 tickets in 2 yrs. He would be following me and he would get pulled over.
It was just strange-I think it has to do with the personality of people with flashy red cars myself.
I'm 59 yrs old and have never gotten a ticket. Never. Stay away from Red and stay away from portable technology and keep within 10mph of speed limit. I did get one warning because my tail light cable was malfunctioning and my break lights locked to on due to the defection. That's about all I can tell you, but if you follow my rules-you'll be fine with red theoretically today. Just be prepared if you have never had red that you might find yourself being pulled over now with red than if you didn't have red.

People who prefer bright colors and not fifty shades of gray are generally more emotional and daring.
This is at least a third of the reason why red cars are more "prone" to ticketing.
Second might be the fact that exotic cars are often brightly colored. Like red. It's hard to find bright red Corolla.
And of course red car is easier to spot in the pool of fifty shades of gray, plus black and white.
Therefore more eyes looking at those. Therefore also police.

I personally prefer bright colors. One of the reason is that I'm sick of those normal colors.
Yellow, Red, deep electric Blue. I can't find an appropriate shade of green so I would pass that.

I've never got a ticket. So it all depends on behaviour and not actually on the color.
Always wear seatbelt, Never* above +14km/h above speed limit (GPS not speedo)
(or +4km/h w) and I don't drink and drive, actually I don't drink.

There are other variables for police: BMW vs Nissan, loud exhaust/revving vs electric, tailgating.
As a 5-series and Leaf owner I can feel the difference like night and day:D

I have had tons of bright red cars. 2 Mustangs, 2 trucks, a toyota Echo. All red. The only time I got a ticket was in my black Civic. I don't drive crazy fast usually.

I can't believe the taxes on cars in some states. Texas is crazy cheap for car registration/taxes. 6.25% one time (unless you move here you pay taxes again) then <$80/year. Even our inspections are less than $30/year. Property taxes on the other hand... At least there is no state income tax.

• Informative