Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Outlet is this?

Dionysius

Oct 18, 2019
Chandler, AZ
Hey guys! First real post on the forum.

I have a white/white AWD coming this November 7th! I’m genuinely a kid on Christmas eve right for now.

I have a big question, trying to figure out what kind of outlet this is. And what kind of charging I’ll get on it? My landlord says it’s two 110v wired together. Which doesn’t make much sense to me as it’s a brand new home. I thought they used only 120v now. Is it a NEMA 6-20? 5-20?

many answers would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• 3D16CB9C-BC1D-4450-9766-81DC856DAA67.jpeg
    3D16CB9C-BC1D-4450-9766-81DC856DAA67.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 52

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
If it’s a single outlet on a circuit breaker, it *might* be possible to swap it for a 6-20. It would require a new outlet and changes in the breaker panel.

best to ask an electrician if your not familiar with electrical circuits.

MichaelP90DL

Apr 19, 2019
Lancaster, CA
I charge mine using my dryer's 240-volt outlet (otherwise unused, since the dryer is gas). Laundry area is adjacent to the garage. That will work for some folks.

Dionysius

Oct 18, 2019
Chandler, AZ
Okay. I’m going to talk with an electrician to see if I can either convert it to a 6-20, or get a different outlet put in. Thanks so much guys for your help! It’s so great to have a resource like this

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Ideally get a 50a outlet installed. But I’d compare the price of that to the price of outlet conversion (if possible) and then decide.

I see you’re in Chandler. My houses there all had the circuit box just outside the garage, so just adding an outlet there would also be a possibility. Not as convenient of course, but a less expensive option. Use the 5-20 most of the time. The outside one when needed. Really depends on how much you drive and how much all the options cost.

Dionysius

Oct 18, 2019
Chandler, AZ
Ideally get a 50a outlet installed. But I’d compare the price of that to the price of outlet conversion (if possible) and then decide.

I see you’re in Chandler. My houses there all had the circuit box just outside the garage, so just adding an outlet there would also be a possibility. Not as convenient of course, but a less expensive option. Use the 5-20 most of the time. The outside one when needed. Really depends on how much you drive and how much all the options cost.

Was just quoted 80 dollars for labor and materials to convert it to a 6-20. I think 15 mph will be more than adequate as we work from home, so no long commute. You guys saved me a lot of money! Never would have thought that upgrading it would be an option. Much appreciated.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Was just quoted 80 dollars for labor and materials to convert it to a 6-20. I think 15 mph will be more than adequate as we work from home, so no long commute. You guys saved me a lot of money! Never would have thought that upgrading it would be an option. Much appreciated.

great!

be sure to order the appropriate adapter early. They don’t typically stock them at the local delivery center (yes, they should, but they do not).

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
Yeah not sure what is up with that table.

With a 5-20 you should see (about):

(16A*120V - 250W) * 0.93 = 1550W to the battery.

Not sure what the actual efficiency is at 120V so I just picked 93%. Maybe it is as low as 90%? Anyway...

AWD: 1550W/245Wh/rmi = 6.34 rated mi/hr
SR: 1550W/219Wh/rmi = 7.1 rated mi/hr

Not sure how these compare with reality but sounds like one person above sees 6mi/hr so maybe this is close. I would guess they are within a few % as long as you are not using any accessories - and it isn’t winter (generally not an issue for the OP)!

But way off the Tesla table. I feel like it has changed - I remember it being optimistic but maybe I am misremembering.

Dionysius

Oct 18, 2019
Chandler, AZ

Not sure what the actual efficiency is at 120V so I just picked 93%. Maybe it is as low as 90%? Anyway...

Not sure how these compare with reality but sounds like one person above sees 6mi/hr so maybe this is close. I would guess they are within a few % as long as you are not using any accessories - and it isn’t winter (generally not an issue for the OP)!

But way off the Tesla table. I feel like it has changed - I remember it being optimistic but maybe I am misremembering.

Haha yes winter definitely isn’t an issue here! I was so close to going with the PM3 but we take too many road trips, didn’t want to be replacing tires every 8k miles.

RB88

Mar 18, 2019
Seattle, WA

These calculations are pretty accurate based on my experiences with 5-20. Don’t know why Tesla under quotes.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US

An honest electrician you have there. All he maybe needs to do is swap the outlet, install a breaker and put some tape around the neutral (white) wire to show that it is live. Charged you $20 for the breaker, $20 for the outlet, and $50 1 hour labor.

Dionysius

Oct 18, 2019
Chandler, AZ
An honest electrician you have there. All he maybe needs to do is swap the outlet, install a breaker and put some tape around the neutral (white) wire to show that it is live. Charged you $20 for the breaker, $20 for the outlet, and $50 1 hour labor.

yeah he was a younger guy who came a few weeks ago to fix some warranty issues on our house. Asked him about installing it then and he gave me his card. Nice guy.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Hey guys! First real post on the forum.

I have a white/white AWD coming this November 7th! I’m genuinely a kid on Christmas eve right for now.

I have a big question, trying to figure out what kind of outlet this is. And what kind of charging I’ll get on it? My landlord says it’s two 110v wired together. Which doesn’t make much sense to me as it’s a brand new home. I thought they used only 120v now. Is it a NEMA 6-20? 5-20?

many answers would be highly appreciated.

Just a comment on the "110V". A lot of older people refer to it as 110V, when in reality it's likely close to 120V. (Similarly you'll hear 220V rather than 240V). Assume it's the same thing, unless qualifiers suggest they are being very specific about actual voltage.

And it's V (upper case) because it's named after a person (Alessandro Volta).

Reactions: Rocky_H

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC