Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of outlet is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks. What kind of outlet is this (found it in my garage), and what kind of adapter should I buy? Thanks!
3D606DDA-B3E9-49FB-BA0E-CB096DCB6436.jpeg
What kind of outlet is this

Thank you! Maybe I’ll wait on the $500 tester wall charger. (How much is the install for that?)
Far too many variables to say, but the HPWC connected to those same wires(presuming they are sized for a 6-20 load) will get you no more charging speed at all. That 6-20 should get you around 16 mi/hr of charge rate, which should be plenty for most users. Don't forget the 30% tax credit for new charging equipment/install.

I imagine an electrician would do such an install(direct replacement) for $200 or less. OTOH, if that's currently in a garage the electrician is likely to want to replace the wiring with conduit-based wiring(or MAYBE run that current wiring through conduit below 7') since NMB isn't supposed to be accessible(I think the rule is 'below 7 feet above the floor its gotta be in a wall', but don't quote me on that).

6-20 is a great, cheap option especially if you already have one available! 16 mph is generally plenty for most people.

However, it may be worthwhile to swap the outlet out for a new, industrial grade one like the Hubbell part #HBL5461. Tesla recommends a high quality industrial grade outlet. Lots of color choices if you don't like the brown one in the link below also.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
6-20 is a great, cheap option especially if you already have one available! 16 mph is generally plenty for most people.

However, it may be worthwhile to swap the outlet out for a new, industrial grade one like the Hubbell part #HBL5461. Tesla recommends a high quality industrial grade outlet. Lots of color choices if you don't like the brown one in the link below also.

Awesome, thank you!

Reactions: Jeremy3292