Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of phone do you use?

What kind of cellphone do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was your last phone?

28eb13b278c6cd0771081bbeeb93cb4e.jpg

I have the same problem! Not sure if my issue is car related or phone related though as my Pixel has its own set of issues hah.

Most likely it's the phone. Pixel 3 and 3XL seems to work flawlessly from what I've seen anecdotally here on the forums. @SDKoala and I tried to work through some of the Pixel's issues together. He recently moved on to a Pixel 3 and things just work. No changes on the car side. My theory is that the car is having a hard time "hearing" the phone's broadcasts, so it's hit or miss. If you're standing at the wrong corner of the car, or you're turned the wrong way, or you're wearing jeans, etc. the car can't tell how far away you are. But if you see that the phone is BT-connected, hitting the unlock button always works.

There are also edge cases where something about the phone-car connection gets corrupted, and then nothing works until you toggle BT or airplane mode, but I find that error condition to be quite rare these days. It's just proximity woes.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Pixel 1. Works meh as key. Car seems to have issues detecting its proximity a lot. BT signal easily dampened in thick pockets.

I have the same problem! Not sure if my issue is car related or phone related though as my Pixel has its own set of issues hah.

Ahh I have Pixel 1 too and was trying to hold out for Pixel 4.... but planning to take delivery on my Model 3 in June and might just have to upgrade the phone at the same time if there really are issues...

Ahh I have Pixel 1 too and was trying to hold out for Pixel 4.... but planning to take delivery on my Model 3 in June and might just have to upgrade the phone at the same time if there really are issues...

I think you should still hold off for Pixel 4. The phone key issues can be annoying but not unbearable. I'm actually planning to hold out for Pixel 4 as well. With phone costs the way they are, it doesn't feel right to be upgrading so frequently anymore.

Reactions: Moze1021