Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of plug is this, and can I buy an adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm renting a house and saw the attached plug in the garage, was just curious if anyone knew the kind of plug this is and if there is an adapter available.
IMG_20181117_203158.jpg

I'm renting a house and saw the attached plug in the garage, was just curious if anyone knew the kind of plug this is and if there is an adapter available.
View attachment 353534

What others have said about it being a 6-50 is correct.

I would look in your panel to see what size circuit breaker it is on. Most likely it is on a 40 or 50a breaker, but it could be on something smaller. Anything less than 40a and you won’t be able to charge at the max speed of the UMC.

You are very lucky to find a rental with such a great charging option built in!

Probably was for a welder...

The Mobile Connector (gen 2) that comes with the Model 3 is only capable of 32 amps max. The gen 1 Mobile Connector that you can buy from shop.tesla.com can charge at 40 amps maximum. A Tesla Wall Connector does 48 amps, but is typically hard-wired by an electrician.

Exactly.

To add to this: I know of no adapter for the UMC (gen 1 or 2) that would let you plug into a 14-60. Also, I have never actually seen a 14-60 in my life... I know of no application that uses them.

What others have said about it being a 6-50 is correct.

I would look in your panel to see what size circuit breaker it is on. Most likely it is on a 40 or 50a breaker, but it could be on something smaller. Anything less than 40a and you won’t be able to charge at the max speed of the UMC.

You are very lucky to find a rental with such a great charging option built in!

Probably was for a welder...

My brother has a 6-50 outlet in his shop that I used for charging. We failed to check the fuses first and an hour after I started charging, the fuses blew and shut things down. Since it was Christmas Eve, I had to wait another day and a half to find a store that sold the right fuses. We replaced them and then I charged at 32 amps instead of 40 amps and didn't have any problems after that.

My brother has a 6-50 outlet in his shop that I used for charging. We failed to check the fuses first and an hour after I started charging, the fuses blew and shut things down. Since it was Christmas Eve, I had to wait another day and a half to find a store that sold the right fuses. We replaced them and then I charged at 32 amps instead of 40 amps and didn't have any problems after that.

What were the fuses rated to? 40a?