TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What kind of roof will you be getting?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by pete8314, Jul 6, 2012.

?

What kind of roof will you be getting?

1. Panoramic, for the extra headroom

31 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Panoramic, for the satellite radio

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  3. Panoramic, just because I like the idea

118 vote(s)
    59.0%
  4. Body color

36 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. Black top

14 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

#1 pete8314, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    Like many on here, I'm sure, I feel like I've absorbed gobs of useful information and speculation about the Model S.

The one thing I don't recall being mentioned anywhere is the option for a black roof, rather than body color or the panoramic. It seems like an odd-ball thing to offer, but does everyone think that? Here's a poll....

2. Some people may be worried that over time the pano roof may leak, but they may like the look so that is a reason to get it. Personally I rarely use the sunroof in any of my vehicles but always get the option, with the Model S I got the panoramic sunroof because the contrasting color goes well with my color combination, also I would like to think that I will use it frequently. I can understand people wanting the look, but knowing in the back of their mind they will rarely use the panoramic sunroof.

3. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

First I was going to get the pano roof because I want XM. But that issue got fixed as Tesla figured out a way to incorporate the antenna with a standard roof (and without the ugly shark fin).

So I'm going to get the black roof, with the pearl white color. I think it will look awesome.

The only thing that might change my mind is if it turns out the black roof will make the car a lot hotter inside when parked out in the sun.

4. Longhorn92

Longhorn92 MS VIN #10103 (40 kWh)

We have sunroofs on both of our current vehicles and use them often, so I definitely want one on the Model S as well. However, I believe that the headroom issue warrants purchasing the sunroof regardless of use.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It will look somewhat like dsm363's roadster, I think.

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I'm getting the Black roof to contrast with the Green exterior. Wasn't going to go for the pano roof to save $1,500 and due to concerns about long term reliability (it's one of the few big mechanical pieces of the car).

And, yes, as mulder said, Sat Radio prep no longer needs the pano roof - only the sound studio package. So, you shouldn't get any votes for that option above.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

An interesting way to test the knowledge of poll responders... ;)

Edit: And to evaluate how often people read the thread before repeating what others have said. (See Jason's post below. :wink:)

8. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Didn't know they fixed the XM issue, glad they did though. I just like the idea of a sunroof, although my main decision maker was the XM thing, but if they've solved that, I'm not so sure it's worth the $1500....

9. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Btw, the figured out how to put satellite radio on the other roofs as well.

10. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

Have to admit the extra headroom of the pano roof makes me second guess my body colored order, but I know that I will would almost never open the pano roof for myself. Now the question since I am driving and won't have to endure the lower rear roof, will I have 2 more tall people in the car often enough to care about it?

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yep. Perhaps that option should be removed from the poll, because it is misleading. Fortunately nobody is voting for it.

12. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

That's good, cause it means most everybody is keeping up to date on stuff.

13. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Wish I could check two. My main reason is that in 12 years of driving EVs, I haven't had the option, and I have missed it. I live in Northern California where it's beautiful, and I love the fresh air!

But, also, the extra headroom is important.

So, pano is the only way to go for me!

14. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

We are most likely going with body colored (white). Black does not make sense to me - it will just heat up the car in the summer and get dirty with pollen. We may get the panoramic roof if we really like it when we see it.

15. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Black heating up the car is a valid concern, but, in my case, 90+% of the time (at home and at work), the car will be parked indoors. I like the contrast; has worked well with our other car (a Mini with brown exterior and silver roof).

16. ddruz

ddruz Member

IMO the black roof looks distinctively classy on the white body and exceptionally elegant on the silver, the only two colors I have considered. Having had sun roofs in the past which were used infrequently I had planned to order a Model S with a regular roof but was on undecided about, though leaning towards, the black roof. The decision became moot for me after the LA test drive where I sat in and measured the rear seat head room in cars with and without panoramic roofs. The difference is so night and day dramatic that I cannot bring myself to buy a car this expensive with the limited headroom offered by the hard top, even though that would be my preference. While I love the black top on either of the colors of my choice, I feel compelled to spend the extra $1,500 for the extra rear seat headroom of the panoramic roof.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

The panoramic roof also sorts of gives the lack roof look as well

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Anyone have any thoughts on the panoramic roof vs hail?

19. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Doubtful it will be an issue.

20. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

I like the idea of a glass roof and I like the extra headroom. But I doubt I'll ever open it, so I wish they would offer a non-opening glass roof too.