Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of roof will you be getting?

What kind of roof will you be getting?

• Panoramic, for the extra headroom

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • Panoramic, for the satellite radio

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Panoramic, just because I like the idea

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Body color

Votes: 37 18.4%
  • Black top

Votes: 14 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many on here, I'm sure, I feel like I've absorbed gobs of useful information and speculation about the Model S.

The one thing I don't recall being mentioned anywhere is the option for a black roof, rather than body color or the panoramic. It seems like an odd-ball thing to offer, but does everyone think that? Here's a poll....

Last edited:
Like many on here, I'm sure, I feel like I've absorbed gobs of useful information and speculation about the Model S.

The one thing I don't recall being mentioned anywhere is the option for a black roof, rather than body color or the panoramic. It seems like an odd-ball thing to offer, but does everyone think that? Here's a poll....

Some people may be worried that over time the pano roof may leak, but they may like the look so that is a reason to get it. Personally I rarely use the sunroof in any of my vehicles but always get the option, with the Model S I got the panoramic sunroof because the contrasting color goes well with my color combination, also I would like to think that I will use it frequently. I can understand people wanting the look, but knowing in the back of their mind they will rarely use the panoramic sunroof.

First I was going to get the pano roof because I want XM. But that issue got fixed as Tesla figured out a way to incorporate the antenna with a standard roof (and without the ugly shark fin).

So I'm going to get the black roof, with the pearl white color. I think it will look awesome.

The only thing that might change my mind is if it turns out the black roof will make the car a lot hotter inside when parked out in the sun.

We have sunroofs on both of our current vehicles and use them often, so I definitely want one on the Model S as well. However, I believe that the headroom issue warrants purchasing the sunroof regardless of use.

I'm getting the Black roof to contrast with the Green exterior. Wasn't going to go for the pano roof to save $1,500 and due to concerns about long term reliability (it's one of the few big mechanical pieces of the car).

And, yes, as mulder said, Sat Radio prep no longer needs the pano roof - only the sound studio package. So, you shouldn't get any votes for that option above.

Have to admit the extra headroom of the pano roof makes me second guess my body colored order, but I know that I will would almost never open the pano roof for myself. Now the question since I am driving and won't have to endure the lower rear roof, will I have 2 more tall people in the car often enough to care about it?

Wish I could check two. My main reason is that in 12 years of driving EVs, I haven't had the option, and I have missed it. I live in Northern California where it's beautiful, and I love the fresh air!

But, also, the extra headroom is important.

So, pano is the only way to go for me!

We are most likely going with body colored (white). Black does not make sense to me - it will just heat up the car in the summer and get dirty with pollen. We may get the panoramic roof if we really like it when we see it.

IMO the black roof looks distinctively classy on the white body and exceptionally elegant on the silver, the only two colors I have considered. Having had sun roofs in the past which were used infrequently I had planned to order a Model S with a regular roof but was on undecided about, though leaning towards, the black roof. The decision became moot for me after the LA test drive where I sat in and measured the rear seat head room in cars with and without panoramic roofs. The difference is so night and day dramatic that I cannot bring myself to buy a car this expensive with the limited headroom offered by the hard top, even though that would be my preference. While I love the black top on either of the colors of my choice, I feel compelled to spend the extra $1,500 for the extra rear seat headroom of the panoramic roof.

IMO the black roof looks distinctively classy on the white body and exceptionally elegant on the silver, the only two colors I have considered. Having had sun roofs in the past which were used infrequently I had planned to order a Model S with a regular roof but was on undecided about, though leaning towards, the black roof. The decision became moot for me after the LA test drive where I sat in and measured the rear seat head room in cars with and without panoramic roofs. The difference is so night and day dramatic that I cannot bring myself to buy a car this expensive with the limited headroom offered by the hard top, even though that would be my preference. While I love the black top on either of the colors of my choice, I feel compelled to spend the extra $1,500 for the extra rear seat headroom of the panoramic roof.

The panoramic roof also sorts of gives the lack roof look as well