Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of roof will you be getting?

What kind of roof will you be getting?

• Panoramic, for the extra headroom

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • Panoramic, for the satellite radio

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Panoramic, just because I like the idea

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Body color

Votes: 37 18.4%
  • Black top

Votes: 14 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone at this weekend's test drives please take pics of the pane roof from the interior? It would be great to see what it looks like from the rear seats and driver's seat. Or can someone track down pics like this that have already been taken? Thanks!

I told my wife the jump seats were a $1500 option and she said "no way! our kids don't need that!" Then I said, "Well honey, the panoramic sunroof is also $1500." And she replied "Oh, but that's totally worth it!" Now I just have to convince her that a larger battery pack (that also gets you to 60 in sub 6 sec.) is also "totally worth it!"

I told my wife the jump seats were a $1500 option and she said "no way! our kids don't need that!" Then I said, "Well honey, the panoramic sunroof is also $1500." And she replied "Oh, but that's totally worth it!" Now I just have to convince her that a larger battery pack (that also gets you to 60 in sub 6 sec.) is also "totally worth it!"

I had the same predicament over on this thread; the larger battery pack won!

The decision became moot for me after the LA test drive where I sat in and measured the rear seat head room in cars with and without panoramic roofs. The difference is so night and day dramatic that I cannot bring myself to buy a car this expensive with the limited headroom offered by the hard top, even though that would be my preference.

Do you have any idea how much the difference was in inches????? thanks!

My argument would be to maximize the average case though. If there are not going to be tall adult back seat occupants say, 90% of the time, then, save yourself the $1,500 and the aggravation of all the current and future mechanical issues that the pano roof entails. That's my reasoning behind going for the sporty-looking black roof instead as my 6-year-old son has a long way to go before hitting the headliner.

Also, not all tall adults are created equal. Long-legged, medium/small-torsoed adults (such as myself even at 6' 1") will do just fine headroom-wise in the back seat of a non-pano Model S.

My kids are unfortunately never going to be tall enough for the solid roofs to be a problem. Most of people I'd have in the back are parents/grandparents and they are all short. Plus, I sort of hate sunroofs even though I've had them on every single car I've ever had.

If anything the solid roof should be cooler. At the newport beach event, the solid roof cars were noticeably cooler than the pano's.

I am not planning on the pano right now, although the headroom issue might tempt me to add it. I don't think my kids will get tall, but they have a 6'1" uncle, everyone else is under 6' tall from both sides of the family. I have tall friends though, but they'll probably sit in the front with the short wives in the back.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the two options in the test drives? I'd love to know if there is a soundproofing difference (obviously when the pano is open it will be noisier, but how is it when closed? And is it decent to drive with it open at highway speeds?). Can you look up at the sky from the front row? What is the visibility like for the back passengers when the pano is closed and opened (looks like the "front" glass stacks on top of the back glass)? I've had a vehicle with a sunroof before that was rarely used, in fact I usually had the cover over it since I couldn't see any sky anyway from the front and it was small enough that my kids in rows 2 and 3 didn't have much of a view either.

Thanks!

It would be nice to get these questions answered for me as well. I just received my design email.

I have been reading a lot of threads (aside from this one) on pano versus solid and the criteria for choosing either one have finally jelled in my mind. I will be getting the solid roof since I hardly ever used any of the sunroofs in my cars going back 20 years, and would avoid a possible source of noise and another item that can follow Murphy's law. I also understand the concern about headroom but am lucky that I, family, and close friends are all under 6'. The occasional tall outlier passenger will just have to take pot luck.

I have been reading a lot of threads (aside from this one) on pano versus solid and the criteria for choosing either one have finally jelled in my mind. I will be getting the solid roof since I hardly ever used any of the sunroofs in my cars going back 20 years, and would avoid a possible source of noise and another item that can follow Murphy's law. I also understand the concern about headroom but am lucky that I, family, and close friends are all under 6'. The occasional tall outlier passenger will just have to take pot luck.

I am 6'2" and the front has great headroom. Anyone in the back is riding for free. Lack of headroom is not my concern.

I went for the solid black roof on my S. It's really quiet even at 80+ mph speeds. Some pano owners have reported the roof being noisy even when closed at high speeds. No one in my family is 6' tall and I rarely used the sunroofs in my previous cars.

On the performance cars, all that alcantara looks quite nice. You do lose the ability to mount a roof rack, but I figured an aftermarket rear hitch storage tray is probably more aerodynamic and easier to load than a roof mounted storage.