Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Shifter Will the Model 3 Have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems a lot of "alternative" shifters are coming to the market now. From dials to push-buttons and just about every other permutation. Do you think the Model 3 will retain the Daimler-style column stalk shifter from the Model S, or employ some other selector mechanism?

haha

We don't yet know what it will look like, but the prototype did. See on both sides of the wheel.

08400284-photo-tesla-model-3-unveil.jpg

and even the newer interior:
model-3-cabin-original.jpg

haha

We don't yet know what it will look like, but the prototype did. See on both sides of the wheel.

08400284-photo-tesla-model-3-unveil.jpg

and even the newer interior:
model-3-cabin-original.jpg

OMG!!! Adjustable seat belt heights!! That is my biggest pet peeve about my S. I had to buy one of those cover thing for it to keep it from cutting into my neck.

/thread hijack

Man, that interior is so damn clean and crisp. Love it.
I don't mind the relatively plain interior of the S and X, but personally I think the 3 interior is where it will make it or break it for me. I know we all believe the interior will change come production but to what degree is still unknown. I hope for better integration of the center screen. Guess we will find out here in the near (hopefully) future.

I don't mind the relatively plain interior of the S and X, but personally I think the 3 interior is where it will make it or break it for me. I know we all believe the interior will change come production but to what degree is still unknown. I hope for better integration of the center screen. Guess we will find out here in the near (hopefully) future.
I'd imagine integrating the center screen would either cause you to lose legroom, visibility, or both.

Integration would also cause you to lose a portion of that vent along the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
I'd imagine integrating the center screen would either cause you to lose legroom, visibility, or both.

Integration would also cause you to lose a portion of that vent along the top.
Well, I have faith in the engineers/designers to improve upon what was shown. It looks like an afterthought right now and someone just tacked on a cheap computer monitor to the dash.

It doesn't make sense to have vent in that area of the strip as it is because it will just be blowing at the back of the screen which seems silly. Don't get me wrong, I don't need it cluttered up with switches and buttons, it just needs to be more thought out. And by integrated, I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be inserted into the dash like the S and X, just integrated meaning more cohesive to the overall design.

Well, I have faith in the engineers/designers to improve upon what was shown. It looks like an afterthought right now and someone just tacked on a cheap computer monitor to the dash.

It doesn't make sense to have vent in that area of the strip as it is because it will just be blowing at the back of the screen which seems silly. Don't get me wrong, I don't need it cluttered up with switches and buttons, it just needs to be more thought out. And by integrated, I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be inserted into the dash like the S and X, just integrated meaning more cohesive to the overall design.
I like it as is, but they will probably have to modify it for crash testing. We'll all just have to wait for the final reveal. Should be in two months. I know he didn't say March exactly but it'll probably be at the end of a quarter so either end of March or delayed until July. Who knows, maybe Elon will surprise us with an April reveal..