Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Shifter Will the Model 3 Have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
51oAXuDFzIL._AC_UL320_SR308,320_.jpg

I really like the Mercedes type, I hope they stick with that

2012-mercedes-benz-glk-350-column-shifterjpg.jpg
I dislike that style, for the same reason I dislike the shifter on my Leaf, though it's even worse on the Leaf: Since the "off" position is now the middle instead of the top (as in an Automatic), reverse is up/forward, and drive is down/rearward, which I find backwards. I've had my Leaf for 2 1/2 years, and I still sometimes shift backwards when I'm not paying attention or stressed out, because my brain says it's a joystick, and forward means forward. As discussed elsewhere, however, this layout seems to be required by FMVSS (in that D must be clockwise from N), at least for a stock on the steering column.

Given that, I'd prefer something that is "new" enough that it can be intuitive, without messing up those who are used to older conventions. How about a gesture on a touchscreen?

I dislike that style, for the same reason I dislike the shifter on my Leaf, though it's even worse on the Leaf: Since the "off" position is now the middle instead of the top (as in an Automatic), reverse is up/forward, and drive is down/rearward, which I find backwards. I've had my Leaf for 2 1/2 years, and I still sometimes shift backwards when I'm not paying attention or stressed out, because my brain says it's a joystick, and forward means forward. As discussed elsewhere, however, this layout seems to be required by FMVSS (in that D must be clockwise from N), at least for a stock on the steering column.

Given that, I'd prefer something that is "new" enough that it can be intuitive, without messing up those who are used to older conventions. How about a gesture on a touchscreen?

My wife got a 2016 Mercedes C300, with the shifter shown. Although I admire the interior styling and performance of the car, the shifter is new to me and I also don't find it intuitiveo_O. I've been driving the car for months now and still need to look and think about it before shifting.
I'm not sure how the shifters in the MS and MX work, but I think they maybe the same, so guess I better get us to the idea for the M3:(.

I got used to the shifter in my S pretty quick. Other than park it reminds me of an old column shifter Ford Taurus wagon I drove in high school. I suppose if you havent ever driven an old automatic column shifter car, though, it might take some getting used to.

As long as they dont do one like a Prius. I hate those with a passion. No real good reason for that. Just don't like it.

No. It doesn't. Have you looked inside cars that do have 'afterthought' accessories on the dashboard?

BMW-2012-NAIAS-Auto-Show-127.jpg

0e61330860bf1c889520ca9344e81fbdx.jpg

bmw-i3-doc-for-tablet.jpg
I'm not a fan of the "floating" displays regardless honestly or even the retractable/popup screens Audi tends to be using in some models. And not a big fan of BMW interiors in general.

We can agree to disagree though. Even though I don't like the examples you have shown, they are better than the 3 prototype. But looks and aesthetics are subjective and can't please everyone.

I'm not a fan of the "floating" displays regardless honestly or even the retractable/popup screens Audi tends to be using in some models. And not a big fan of BMW interiors in general.

We can agree to disagree though. Even though I don't like the examples you have shown, they are better than the 3 prototype. But looks and aesthetics are subjective and can't please everyone.

And, since we are talking about shifters... what the heck was BMW thinking; push forward to engage reverse?

Reactions: Red Sage
I also kind of like the idea of the push buttons..... Some tones would be nice too that correspond to each different button. In my Leaf and Prius I find miss hitting the park button hard enough sometimes and then accidentally roll the car forward. My luck is the model 3 will be put into drive via Siri or Alexa.

I can see it now. Alexa... shift into drive... Ok.. insane mode and flooring it. Alexa chimes in after the rubble of your house is done falling on your car. Tesla has sent the logs showing the crash was your fault to your insurance company.

I am hoping for the next model 3 event soon! So many questions and I want some answers. I wonder if they will let us test drive it before buying them?

I also kind of like the idea of the push buttons..... Some tones would be nice too that correspond to each different button. In my Leaf and Prius I find miss hitting the park button hard enough sometimes and then accidentally roll the car forward. My luck is the model 3 will be put into drive via Siri or Alexa.

I can see it now. Alexa... shift into drive... Ok.. insane mode and flooring it. Alexa chimes in after the rubble of your house is done falling on your car. Tesla has sent the logs showing the crash was your fault to your insurance company.

I am hoping for the next model 3 event soon! So many questions and I want some answers. I wonder if they will let us test drive it before buying them?

I hope not considering how poorly Siri works for me!
"Siri shift to drive" "You want me to ship your dryer?" "No, Siri SHIFT TO DRIVE", "OK, I found something on the web, here it is (how to clip drivers)"

I see no reason why the shifter will be any different than the MS and MX. Firstly, Tesla is aiming for design and manufacturing simplicity. I don't imagine you can get much more simple than a small steering column stalk. Secondly, designers like to keep similar design elements in their products. It gives it family/brand identity and lessons the amount of work needed to design the car.

Reactions: Red Sage