TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What kind of windshield washer fluid does Model 3 Use?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by 20140emission, Oct 27, 2019.

1. 20140emission

20140emission Member

I had a mobile service done in my garage because the driver side washer does not squirt fluid. Service tech pressed the stick a few times and quickly diagnosed the assembly folk did not connect the fluid hose. Push it in and it worked immediately. Easy fix. However, after I backed out the car, I have several puddle of blue liquid on my light color epoxy coated floor and it won't come off. Normally people do not activate windshield washer in their garage but in this case, I was wondering what to use to get rid of the stain.

2. JBT66

JBT66 Member

No idea what the stuff was but was super messy on my car. It didn’t work better than what I’ve got now, but left runny streaks all over the car.

3. wingnutsglory

wingnutsglory Member

Not that it's worth everyone's time, but I just make my own out of alcohol, water, and Dr. Bronners. Recipes online. Works super well and seems gentle enough on finishes.

Disclaimer: have not tried this yet in the Model 3 system...

4. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

It uses car windshield fluid - the stuff you get at an auto store

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  5. Matsayz

Matsayz Active Member

Seriously? Just buy regular window washer fluid... it’s a car not an F-22

• Like x 2
  6. Dr. J

Dr. J Active Member

He's not asking for a refill--he wants to know how to get the stain off of his garage floor.

• Like x 2
  7. Matsayz

Matsayz Active Member

The title and then the body of the post conflict. It’s only washer fluid. Again, Tesla isn’t using some super high grade stuff. I’ll admit it’s got a lot of blue dye in it but it’s still only washer fluid. Grab a can of brake cleaner if it’s really not coming up but water and a sponge should get rid of it.

8. akidesir

akidesir Member

Dr bronner’s soap? Doesn’t that stuff clog?

• Like x 1
  9. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

Tesla has to pay to repair your floor as Tesla did not take all reasonable care to protect your garage floor while working on your Tesla.

• Funny x 2
  10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

You all are missing the point, he is looking for suggestions on how to clean/remove the blue spot left on his floor by the fluid.

I would start with trying rubbing alcohol.

11. Matsayz

Matsayz Active Member

12. Dr. J

Dr. J Active Member

Not if you read them both carefully. But I agree that a better title would have been, "What are the ingredients in Tesla washer fluid?"

13. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

Contact the manufacturer of your paint, they would know what you can use and not damage the paint. Start gentle like Isopropyl alcohol test in a hidden spot.

14. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

I noticed that Tesla uses the same type of windshield wiper fluid as Mercedes.

It is super effective at cleaning road grime off windshields, but had a thick blue tint that needs to be manually wiped off A pillars and other painted areas of your car.

Much stronger stuff than the watery stuff available at auto stores.

Mercedes sells it as an ultra strong additive that needs to be diluted with lots of water when refilling.
    KInda one ounce to 2 quarts.

15. KenC

KenC Active Member

It was so strong, they sometimes poured it into the urea tanks of their "blue" diesels, undiluted! ;)

16. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.44.15

An even better suggestion might be "How can I remove a windshield wiper fluid stain from an epoxy floor?"

• Like x 2
  17. 20140emission

20140emission Member

LOL. I got you guys to read my post, didn't I? Two points in the contents. Tesla left a windshield washer hose unconnected and delivered the car. They use high stain washer and that dripped on my garage floor that won't remove. Btw, don't you guys have been things to do but to argue about the title or a posting and tried to split hair?

18. srs5694

srs5694 Active Member

Two points:
    • Did it get the right people to read the post? Perhaps an expert on removing stains hasn't read this thread because s/he thought the post was asking for recommendations of what sort of wiper fluid to use, and this hypothetical expert isn't interested in that subject.
    • When a forum's posts have misleading titles, that makes the forum less usable for everybody, which can drive away participants. Your title isn't all that bad, but properly titling threads helps make the forum useful.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. SeanM

SeanM Member

Just use some vinegar mixed warm (a bit hot is fine too) water & a rag to clean up the mess on your epoxied garage floor. If it too doesn't work, then sorry to say, but you'll just need to live with it... after all it's just a garage floor & it's going to experience such spills.

20. derekmw

derekmw Member

Tesla actually uses unicorn pee, that's why it stains the floor/car so bad.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1