Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kinds of problems can we expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current auto mechanic says that the 12 volt battery in recent Mercedes only last about a week with the car parked, so I think Vampire drain is just as bad, if not worse in some current ICEs.

And some airports, and I'm sure even more will, have added a number of Level 1 stations. Perfect for keeping the Vampire at bay and topping your car up while you are away for weeks. And I suspect they will add more as demand increases.

For example Portland added 42 Level 1 stations. (Though 18 of those are in the employee lot.) I think they have 6 Level 2 stations as well, but two of them are reserved for Valets to use to keep cars charged.
Didn't know that about current ICEs.
Understand your comment reference level 1 chargers, but I'm thinking Toronto/Pearson (ICAO designator CYYZ). This facility is not known for proactively dealing with looming issues. I expect at least 24 months before being able to oder my Tesla, hopefully the governing Liberal government will see fit to spend some of the ev charging infrastructure money at the airport. Cheers.

there will be some things and Tesla service will be all over it to make it right.
really? I've found what you think is their level of response is a bit rosy because I had to have some interesting discussions with the service team when I had to have a drive unit replaced, while tesla eventually addressed the issue they were far from expedient about getting to it.

really? I've found what you think is their level of response is a bit rosy because I had to have some interesting discussions with the service team when I had to have a drive unit replaced, while tesla eventually addressed the issue they were far from expedient about getting to it.

Perhaps varies by SvC or by parts availability, but in almost 3 years of ownership, I have never found fault with the Rocklin folks.

Reactions: Tree95
I think you get the same answer as with the Model S and Model X - there will be some things and Tesla service will be all over it to make it right.

I think its important to note, based on the reveal, I did not any new, never-been-done-before tech (big display, glass roof, etc have all been vetted on prior models) so I think that greatly lowers the risks of problems--perhaps the "part 2" reveal will change that. Beyond that, I would expect most of the early gremlins will be caught thought Tesla/SpaceX employees and then existing owners, so by them time cars are in the hands of first time owners, most if not all of the kinks should be worked out.

This is a big cause for concern, because of how many more cars will be out in the world. Will Tesla be able to provide the same level of superior service that appeased people who dealt with some minor and sometimes major issues? When they're manufacturing 1000 cars a day instead of 1000 a week, will they be able to maintain quality? These aren't easy questions to answer. A lot is riding on this car.

Knowing Elon's 'hubris', they may announce- at the last minute - that the Model 3's wheels will retract above 5mph and the car will levitate.(This will have been revealed in the 1/18 model that is released with retracted wheels and set on a clear stand causing initially much confusion)

Initial delays with levitation mechanism; then lots of M3s dragging along the ground due to faulty sensors...............Cars refusing to lower wheels when parked thus using excess battery power to stay levitated reducing range to 23.67 miles only.

Doors not opening and big glass roof having to be broken to feed occupants.

Otherwise the cars will be perfect and the orders will continue to flow in.

Reports that the Hyundai Levitron has a tendency (due to rushed development) to just take off at stop streets and disappear into space.

• Funny
Reactions: Festerfeet
I don't know much about this battery issue, but I have AAA and they have a 3 year battery replacement. I would assume I'd be okay then as they would just keep replacing my battery for free?

You should check whether AAA will replace "specialty" batteries. This is the 12V battery in the Model S, for example:

battery-closeup-jpg.10120

More info here.

But, wait--your car should be within warranty when it happens, I would presume, so Tesla would replace it for free--I think.