Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What length charging cable does Model Y come with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have just ordered my first Tesla, a Model Y LR, due for delivery in May, and I wondered whether it will come with a charging cable and if so what length?

I have placed an order for an Easee One untethered charging unit and don't want to purchase an additional cable if already supplied, albeit I would want 7-10m in length.

TIA.

I have placed an order for an Easee One untethered charging unit

If you have not given the tethered/untethered options much thought wrt usability, it may be worth considering them.

In answer to your question, it depends, but probably 4m, occasionally 8m, but don't bank on receiving one with the car. Sometimes they are in short supply and come along later.

If you’re charging once or twice a week that may be ok, but its enough of a pain getting the cable out the frunk and plugging in at tesco that I don’t bother unless absolutely needed. I’m very happy I went tethered for the home charger
If there is a way to manually / physically lock the cable to a Sync EV, I would be keen to know.

Hello, I have just ordered my first Tesla, a Model Y LR, due for delivery in May, and I wondered whether it will come with a charging cable and if so what length?

I have placed an order for an Easee One untethered charging unit and don't want to purchase an additional cable if already supplied, albeit I would want 7-10m in length.

TIA.
Looks like your best bet is to buy the Easee type 2 cable which is 7.5m long and costs about £250 😳
You can lock it in place to be “tethered” or use it as untethered.
(Or return your purchase and buy a tethered charger, such as the Tesla Gen 3 Wall connector, which you can press a button on the lead to open the charge port on the car!)

From an ‘ease of use’ perspective, you’ll most likely want to leave yours tethered though to avoid the faff of connecting it each time.
(Tesla recommend leaving the car connected to the charger when not in use for various reasons.)

If you can get away with using the Tesla supplied cable at first great 👍🏻
After a while I’m sure you’ll get fed up with retrieving the lead and connecting both ends to charge and un-connecting both ends and stowing the cable when setting off ! Especially when it’s raining !

Also a good point to note is that a lot of the “Smart” features on home wall chargers can already be set up and/or controlled from within the car or from the Tesla app.

I went for the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector and couldn’t be more pleased.

Hope that’s useful to you.
You’ll love the car when it arrives.

Cheers !

Last edited:
I'm using this 8m cable for £160 on Amazon, no issues.

It is single phase, unlike the one you get with the car, but as my home charger will only ever be 32A it's ideal (also makes the cable more flexible)

Reactions: MarcW
Looks like your best bet is to buy the Easee type 2 cable which is 7.5m long and costs about £250 😳
(Or return your purchase and buy a tethered charger, such as the Tesla Gen 3 Wall connector, which you can press a button on the lead to open the charge port on the car!)

From an ‘ease of use’ perspective, you’ll most likely want to leave yours tethered though to avoid the faff of connecting it each time.
(Tesla recommend leaving the car connected to the charger when not in use for various reasons.)

After a while I’m sure you’ll get fed up with retrieving the lead and connecting both ends to charge and un-connecting both ends and stowing the cable when setting off ! Especially when it’s raining !

Also a good point to note is that a lot of the “Smart” features on home wall chargers can already be set up and/or controlled from within the car or from the Tesla app.

Cheers !
Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated

I received a much longer cable with my MY last week. Looks twice as long as the blue cable I received with the M3 back in 2019.
20220322_171451.jpg
20220322_171503.jpg

Reactions: MarcW
I think I saw another user posting recently that their Rolec charger didn't like the new, longer cable. I can confirm that my Rolec charger will not charge my Model Y or Model 3 using the longer cable yet the cable works fine at the Podpoint 7kw charger down the road at my local Tescos.

Anyone else confirm issues with Rolec chargers and the new longer one supplied by Tesla?

Can’t confirm about the Rolex issue, but I’d say mine was 7m or so. They’re black and not blue now like I had with previous cars (they were def 7m), but it feels just as heavy and ungainly as the old 7m ones. If it’s still an important question I’ll measure it.

Reactions: MikeeUK
That’s odd. Looks like a quality cable. 7.5m black. Service centre might swap it for a cable in a trade in car. I was at Newcastle yesterday having a tow hitch fitted and there were loads of part ex model 3’s still there. Including mine from 3 weeks ago

They’re black and not blue now like I had with previous cars

I think it depends what they have stock of. I got a blue one with my MY a month-ish ago. Got a grey one with the previous car ... blue before that. I put whichever one I least wanted in the trade-in ... and would have swapped with the new car's if that was shorter / inferior. Something else to add to the collection-checklist 🤓

When I collected an early UK Model 3 I was given the choice between 4 and 7/8 meter. I was recommended the 4m one so went with that. Touch wood, never needed a longer one.

I think it’s constantly changing stock so no single standard cable. Some people don’t even get one and have to wait for one to be sent out to them.

I have an Easee charger and a 10m cable from EV One Stop to charge our PHEV (and our ordered MY). Charger is perfectly happy with the 10m cable. I basically use it as a tethered charger: the charger has an option to keep the cable locked at the charger end at all times. But I like the flexibility of being able to add a longer cable or take the cable away if I want to

I have an Easee charger and a 10m cable from EV One Stop to charge our PHEV (and our ordered MY). Charger is perfectly happy with the 10m cable. I basically use it as a tethered charger: the charger has an option to keep the cable locked at the charger end at all times. But I like the flexibility of being able to add a longer cable or take the cable away if I want to
Another Harrogate member with a new Y on order. 😁

Reactions: Considered1

Cheers !
I followed your example, went for a Gen 3 Wall Point. It arrived in a few days. I might need to trade up to a Gen 4 before the car arrives🤔😃
Now then.... how do I become a Tesla Ranger?
(It's one route towards having a Tesla daily ride)