Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What level of issues with Model 3 [poll]

What level of issues with Model 3

• 0% I won the Tesla Lottery

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • 1-10% Damn not bad at all

Votes: 64 55.7%
  • 10-15% It's nice to visit the Tesla service center once in a blue moon.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • 15-25% Just a couple of times a year

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • 25-35% Starting to know each Tesla service advisor by name

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • 35-45% Know the people in the shop by name as well.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 45-55% Know the wife and kids names of all who work at your Tesla center.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 55-65% Starting to think of Service Center as Second home.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65% and above Service Center is second home.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
23,000 miles in a little over 2 years and no issues so far...

I have been to the service center once to buy a 10-30 adapter

Maintenance:
- new tires at Costco at 20,000
- window washer fluid added a few times
- ordered new filters online but haven‘t installed them yet

• Funny
Reactions: markc2
39K+, there was a bad sensor that Tesla reached out to me to replace. As soon as the car detected it I got a message to select a service center. When the part arrived I scheduled an appointment. I drove to the Memphis service center, they replaced it and charged my car, and I drove home the same day.

EDIT: I just realized this is the Model 3 subforum :D I have a 2020 Model Y. Basically same/same. ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
One year, 42,000mi. Covered under warranty:

4 mobile service visits for passenger pillar speaker x2, driver's fender camera and my driver's side mirror next week.

One in person service center visit for rear seatbelt guide trim, passenger fender camera and charge port door replacement.

Not covered under warranty:
New tires at 22k, windshield wipers, air filter, yearly brake service, rotations every 7k.

3yrs 4 months, 32k miles. Never been to a Service Center. Never even talked to a Tesla employee or sales person, since my car was home delivered and my IDA used email.

I fill up my washer fluid and blinker light fluid. I checked my brake fluid. I rotate my tires when I check my pads and brakes. I've had my wheels aligned twice at a 3rd-party tire shop, thanks to all the pot holes we have. I replaced my air filters. I tightened my rear inverter ground cable to get rid of a whine. If I'm ever near a Service Center, they're 3hrs away, I'll try to pick up a 12V battery, since my car is due.

• Love
Just a shade under 23K miles and 3 3/4 years old. From memory, these have been my issues with the car (2018 LR RWD):
  • At delivery, one or more of the tire pressure sensors were not reading correctly; solved by some over-the-air (OTA) magic (recalibration?)
  • Early on I received a couple of OTA updates but then, they all failed; fixed OTA by Service re-formatting an internal memory card
  • Two tire punctures; one plugged by Service, the other "fixed" by replacing both back tires (both were walk-up visits to Santa Clara Service)
  • Upgrade to HW3.0 computer and charge port pin deadfronts changed by Mobile Service in my driveway
  • Upper control arm re-seal done by Mobile Service in my driveway
  • Driver side rear window out of alignment (tilted towards the rear); fixed by Santa Clara under warranty
  • Trapezoidal doohickey in charge port cover fell out about a year ago; still have not replaced it
Other visits to Santa Clara Service were to purchase extra keycards and rear quarter windows; both were without any appointments. Voted "Blue Moon".

Bought our M3LR in late September 2020. Mobile service came once to fix left front fender camera. That took 15 minutes,
Interior trim on driver's side B pillar started coming loose. Service center fixed that in less than 30 minutes. All under warranty.
11,450 miles on it and no other complaints. As good and reliable as any car I've ever owned and better than most of them.

M3LR picked up last May at SC, and never been back.
I'm now up to 17.7Kmiles.

After pickup found right rear door wouldn't open from inside.
Mobile Service setup for 3 days later.
Turned out not to be the part he expected was bad, so came back next morning and fixed it.

Truck cracked windshield on first road trip (~4Kmiles), but didn't actually see crack until 2 days later.

We couldn't be happier with our choice.

All depends on what you are willing to let the service team handle, IMO. I've had no software or hardware issues. No water leaks, HVAC issues, suspensions issues (yet), etc. I had one paint issue in a jam area upon delivery. 23K miles.

I do have slight misalignment of the doors that are really only noticeable if you're looking along the trim line through the side mirrors when driving, but they are so minor I don't really worry about it - however, I would have them fix if I was taking it in for another issue. Interior rattles I will be taking care of myself over time, I will not let Tesla Service touch the interior of the car for rattles with all the horror stories I've heard.

25k miles. Tesla pushed a major software regression in December. Car hasn't been the same ever since.
haha. I take back my no issues due to that update. And I agree with you the latest major OS update is awful….

I wish Elon would stop with his one sided vision of self driving cars for everyone, which isn’t close to here yet. And I didn’t put have any of the FSD options, I enjoy driving and live somewhere with no traffic.

• Funny
Took delivery August 21. Just under 10k miles and zero issues. Except that now my boombox doesn't work underway! (JK)
No problem with your car, that's a software update. And a good one as far as I'm concerned. I've never enjoyed being subjected to super loud car stereo systems, especially with subwoofers that rattle the windows in my house as the car goes by. Same with that stupid Tesla boombox feature.

Took delivery of my 21 SR+ in June 2021. So far, I am satisfied of the car aside from certain annoying rattles inside the door panels. The following corrections / replacements were done since:

1) Panels & Doors adjustment shortly after taking delivery
2) New computer (infotainment system bugging / side & back up cameras not working / light sensor not working)
3) Front Door Check straps replaced (creaking as hell!)

9.5K miles. Just over a year.

Had to get the front bumper replaced due to idiocy on my part. (Clipped garage pulling in)

Only other issue had to replace cabin air filters and use AC cleaner to get rid of the funky smell at 8 months.

Just a couple times a year but I do know the service advisers by name now.

2018 M3, 3.5 years, 28k miles

-Paint issues from the factory
-Issues with driver side window opening itself after going up halfway when trying to close.
-Creaking sounds in the cold in the front upper control arms, they replaced two sets and still had issues until they replaced something else.
-Creaking passenger door.
-Passenger side HVAC fan direction stopped working

Not too many issues but many of these took multiple visits to resolve.